Marathon Training and Discussions

Speedwork advice (Read 624 times)

Go Pre!

Yes, this is also posted in the swamp - but there's too much distraction there these days Smile Goal race - Toronto Marathon - Oct 19 - no absolute time goal yet...better a PR at least First off, my daughter (15) is about to begin being coached by a university track/cross country coach. Would it be weird, if I were to ask if I can train with them and hit him up for advice? I mean, there are a lot of good runners here, with a lot of knowledge and I could ask for advice and probably get loads of good advice as to what kind of speedwork I have been doing. But I was thinking that a real live non-trenternet-person might be a good avenue to go through to get faster, which, for some strange reason I really want to get faster Otherwise, you are my coaches and I have always truly appreciated the feedback given when I have requested it, here in the swamp or in any of the forums I frequent. And for the record, here is a brief outlook on how I have trainined recently and my current race results. Weekly mileage - Average 30 miles (I've kept it low this year to avoid more ITB issues but I am upping it again now) Speedwork Mostly Hills and Tempo Hills - Run up @ sub 8minute mile pace maintaining it for all repeats. easy fast turnover recovery back down. Tempos, 2mile warm up - working up to 6mile @ 10k pace - 2 mile cool down Intervals - none this year as that's when I got hurt last year (doing yasso 800's - perhaps maybe too fast?) Easy runs follow speedwork days - 5 - 7 miles at MP+ 30sec Long runs - start at MP + 1:00, working up to MP for the last few miles. Total - 5 days Recent results Marathon - 3:47:16 HM - 1:38:16 30K - 2:35:39 10K - none in a year. Last tempo run was 2mile warm up - 10K in 44:30 - 2 mile cool down 5K - 20:15 Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Future running partner.

I am no expert or anything. In fact you are actually faster than I am. However, I have had some free time at work lately and I've been reading a lot of articles from, Daniels, Pfitz, Mcmillan, and so on. So here are my thoughts. If your goal is a marathon PR in October, I would wonder how much experience this coach has in training people for marathons. Secondly, the training your daughter will go through will be much different then what you need to run well in a marathon. Her training will be specific to improving speed for distances of 10k or less. Also because she is still young the emphasis for her will likely be more quality and less quantity, ie. faster and shorter. You mentioned that you are wanting to increase mileage also. As you are doing this avoid the intense interval/speed training and just focus on getting to your goal mileage. Once you reach the goal mileage and can maintain it for a couple of weeks with out getting to tired or injured, then you can start doing some faster more intense workouts. I would do tempo runs at goal MP. Some LT intervals at HM to 10k pace, (long duration, short recovery) and do easy stride sessions to improve running economy, form and strength. The coach may be able to give you good advice, depending on his experience, but your training will differ a lot from daughters training.

Dave

I've got sort of the same question about how much speedwork and what type to integrate into my training schedule. The schedule I'm on has much more speedwork/intensity workouts than I'm used to. Most weeks it is something like this: Saturday - 6-8 mile "Pace" (which I presume is Marathon Pace) Sunday - LSD (MP + 1 but often with the last mile or two closer to MP) Monday - short easy Tuesday - Hills or interval repeats (800's mostly) Wednesday - Short easy Thursday - Tempo runs (30-45 minute timed tempo efforts) Friday - Rest Day I was hoping some one might comment on the strategy of running mid-length marathon pace runs right before the long run on Sunday. Seems like a bit more than I can handle. Did my first intervals today and it smoked me. It seems like an awful lot of intensity, especially considering my base isn't what it might be. Anyone else doing similar speedwork?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Future running partner.

When is your marathon you are training for? Are youi feeling tired in general or are you just tired during and right after your faster workouts?

Oh Mighty Wing

Daddyo - where in the swamp? Dave - HH plans have it set for MP mid-length the day before the long runs. I was wondering the same thing you are (not that i'm running any runs at any particular pace). I guess the only way you will know if you can handle it is to try it - carefully! Maybe your LSD will have to be slower than MP+1... Is the purpose to have you running on not fully recovered legs so your legs get useto working with some amount of fatigue?

Dave

When is your marathon you are training for? Are youi feeling tired in general or are you just tired during and right after your faster workouts?
              Marine Corps Marathon in early November. Not so much tired, just sore legs. I got injured last year and don't want a repeat.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Dave

Maybe your LSD will have to be slower than MP+1... Is the purpose to have you running on not fully recovered legs so your legs get useto working with some amount of fatigue?
                I thought the same thing but I'm really struggling to run much slower than 9:30 or so and I'm shooting for an 8:40 or so MP. I'm sure you're right that I should slow down on my LSD and easy runs so that my legs are fresher for the intensity runs.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Oh Mighty Wing

I thought the same thing but I'm really struggling to run much slower than 9:30 or so and I'm shooting for an 8:40 or so MP. I'm sure you're right that I should slow down on my LSD and easy runs so that my legs are fresher for the intensity runs.
                  I find sometimes it's hard to slow down at first but after forcing myself for about half a mile it gets more comfortable. and listen to your own rule! Wink

Go Pre!

Daddyo - where in the swamp?
                    good thread - http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum/e106636a1715425488ba2ed0cc31eaed

Oh Mighty Wing

Hell I just went back and re-read the 4 pages or so and there was some good stuff in there... scary i've gotten very good at weeding through swamp reeds.

Go Pre!

well, I have been taking their advice. I have upped my mileage and run easy. 6 days a week now and about to start adding in 1 midweek long tempo and looking forward to that because I do like the feeling of a fast run! I am also adding some hills in, mainly because I instruct a half marathon clinic. I love hills and always feel they're a great benefit to my running.

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks! This one was good too. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum/RaIaCeKeRiOiLoLx4AAA488ba2ed0cc31eed
                          DAMN YOU!!!!!!! Are you seeing any results from your changes??

Dave

Makes me glad I didn't post this over in the swamp. Didn't keep me from the youtube link though. Reminds me of the old goatse links on Slashdot. Except less disgusting. Heck, I know I need to run more miles but I guess on some level I'm hoping to wring every last ounce of performance out the miles my legs will take.

dgb2n@yahoo.com