Marathon Training and Discussions

Finally went to the doc and.... (Read 674 times)

Giants Fan

he doesn't think I did anything to my achilles tendon itself...but I have fluid buildup between it and the sheath or fascia surrounding the tendon? (I'm writing from memory) So, I'm going to PT for awhile, he suggested I go through this gait analysis they do (sounds interesting)...also keep up the anti-inflammatory and stop running whenever I begin to feel it. So frustrating! He agreed my full is out of the question for May...1/2 is up in the air. Great! That's what I get for signing up early!! Damn!!!! Anyone ever had this before?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awww...nuts. I'm sorry. That really stinks. I had to bail on a mere 10 miler last year due to illness...now I don't register in advance for anything if I can avoid it. I hope this is something that will heal well on its own with rest and PT. What will the gait analysis likely do?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

I guess basically tell you where/if/how bad your form is messed up? or even catch things like hip weakness, etc...sounds like they analyze you from head to toe then tell you what to work on or strengthen to be running at your healthiest? My husband thought it sounded like something I should do...I agreed, just not sure if insurance will cover anything like that.???

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That sounds like something that I could benefit from. I'd love to know why most of my injuries happen on the right side of my body and why my left arm always seems hugged-up against me. I'm sure there's some strength difference between the two sides of my body, but why. And how can I prevent injuries in the future.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

That sounds like something that I could benefit from. I'd love to know why most of my injuries happen on the right side of my body and why my left arm always seems hugged-up against me. I'm sure there's some strength difference between the two sides of my body, but why. And how can I prevent injuries in the future.
            In your case, your knees are backwards and you could learn from the ostrich.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In your case, your knees are backwards and you could learn from the ostrich.
              Maybe only ONE knee is backwards AND my faster leg is dragging my slower one. That would explain EVERYTHING!

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

Maybe only ONE knee is backwards AND my faster leg is dragging my slower one. That would explain EVERYTHING!
                Personally zoomy I think the problem is vertical bounce. If the AVERAGE marathon runner travels 31-35 miles because of vertical bounce (I think my garmin measured the drift part as about 1/2 mile) then certainly you and I must have nearly 40 miles on us because of all the bounce. So there is our problem. We are running ultras. Or at least our boobs are. But my boobs are damn near kenyan fast.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Personally zoomy I think the problem is vertical bounce. If the AVERAGE marathon runner travels 31-35 miles because of vertical bounce (I think my garmin measured the drift part as about 1/2 mile) then certainly you and I must have nearly 40 miles on us because of all the bounce. So there is our problem. We are running ultras. Or at least our boobs are. But my boobs are damn near kenyan fast.
                  Oh, I think you are onto something here! And since boobs are never perfectly symmetrical that would explain the imbalance on one side of my body. Genius! Wink

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

That's what I get for signing up early!! Damn!!!! Anyone ever had this before?
                    I would contact the RD and see if you can get your entry deferred a year. Some will, some won't.

Not at it at all. 

he doesn't think I did anything to my achilles tendon itself...but I have fluid buildup between it and the sheath or fascia surrounding the tendon? (I'm writing from memory) So, I'm going to PT for awhile, he suggested I go through this gait analysis they do (sounds interesting)...also keep up the anti-inflammatory and stop running whenever I begin to feel it. So frustrating! He agreed my full is out of the question for May...1/2 is up in the air. Great! That's what I get for signing up early!! Damn!!!! Anyone ever had this before?
                      Sorry about the news. Wow 3 months out and the doc (I'm not a doc unless you think a Math PhD has great advise on medical matters) is already claiming you can't run in May? That seems fairly conservative or maybe the doctors I've seen are very unconservative (does that make them liberal?) Confused But in fairness when I've been in both times his response was ... you can't do any more damage so it's really just a matter of how much pain you can/want to withstand. Being kind of dense, I went with the keep running with pain approach. I realize that you'll lose training time and I'm not necessarily suggesting that you should run the marathon, it just seems that you're still 3 months out and a lot can change in 3 weeks let alone 3 months. I guess I'm more of ... let's try this for a couple of weeks and see where we're at kinda guy. Ultimately, the goal is get healthy and come back stronger. Missing out any race sucks ... but a big goal race even more! Here's to a quick healing!

Giants Fan

Thanks. I think the full is out because its May 3rd, I can't run for over an hour and haven't been able to even run past 3 or 4 miles since Jan. 12th...that is a lot of fitness time lost for me. I don't want to just finish this marathon...I wanted to best my time from my last one. Good idea on contacting to see if they will defer til next year...hadn't thought of that. BUT, I know my body, no way from whenever this gets better (which who knows when that will be) and May 3rd I'll be up for racing a full. But, I'm ok with that...just hoping I can race the 1/2!! Thanks for all the healing thoughts and letting me vent here!

Charles Schulz

xor

Sorry... I haven't been reading your threads Smile... remind me, what's the race? 5/3 is a weekend with tons of great races...