Marathon Training and Discussions

long runs at increasing pace (Read 159 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The runnersworld training calculator generates a marathon plan with long runs at increasing pace -- I got 14,16,18,7 at 8:08, then something like 16,20 at 8:03 -- I don't recall the details, but over the 16 weeks, it stepped the pace up by 5sec per mile faster four times over the long runs, I think. Is this a common trait in marathon training, to slowly increase the long run pace? Actually, I think the training plan generated increased the pace across the board of all runs, four times (from 8:08, to 8:03 after maybe 4 weeks, then to 7:58, then to 7:53, I think).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

The exact pace doesn't really matter much, and 5 seconds really isn't a big deal. The idea is that you'll be running at an easy pace so that even though you are only running for 18 or 20 miles, you'll be on your feet for the amount of time that it will take you during the marathon. As you get in better shape, your easy pace is naturally going to get a little bit faster. I'm assuming that the RW training program is just acknowledging that.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Makes sense - but, 8:08 is faster than I'm accustomed to doing my long runs, so going down 15 seconds from there may be significant enough to matter to me Smile Thanks for the feedback.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.