Marathon Training and Discussions

Zoomster (Read 345 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

How's that taper going girl?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*kicks Purdey in the nuts, then slaps him and calls him offensive names* Evil grin Actually, it's not going too bad...yet. A week ago my problem knee--which had been behaving for the better part of a month--became a problem, again. I'd think it all in my head, but I can hear the clicking/snapping/popping, not just feel it and the dull pain. I'm thinking prescription orthotics will be in my future. I almost think my right foot is pigeon-toeing in a bit, which is causing the knee issues. Hopefully this week of piddly mileage goes a long way towards resting things. I'd like to be able to get most of the way through the race before any issues kick-in.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Ooohh poor you. Could it be phantom pains or is it for real? Hopefully the limited mileage will give you knee a chance to HTFU before the race. Thinking of you. (and massaging sore nuts - but not at the same time obviously - that would be wierd and stuff).

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nah, I've had phantom pains (got them before my first 25k). This is the real deal...it's pain AND noise...my kneecap is popping around, out of track. Same crap I've been dealing with since 2 weeks before I started training. I have a feeling that I will eventually find myself in prescription orthotics, since I have yet to find a single shoe that works for me. More stable shoes help my knees, but are stiffer and give me peroneal tendonitis issues. More flexible shoes (like my NB 902s) don't make my arches angry, but they don't seem to give me enough stability. The 902s + Superfeet insoles aren't a bad combo, but still not enough rearfoot control.

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

Bugger. Take it really easy for the next few days - not much you can do to improve your fitness by Sunday anyway! .....and then.... you are going to rock your first marathon. Just think of those 20 milers in the bank! By the time you cross the start line I will, hopefully (!) have finished mine and be sitting back with a glass of pinot noir sending you positive vibes!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep...I am trying to get my knee to behave for at least 20 miles with the promise of ample beer (it is Milwaukee, after all) at the finish. Good luck on your own race! You'll probably be finishing about the same time that I am crawling out of bed. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Purdey

Self anointed title

You'll probably be finishing about the same time that I am crawling out of bed. Smile
                Tee hee hee - for some reason that tickles me.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bwahahahaha...ha! Sicko. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

A Saucy Wench

So are you getting pumped Zoomy or am I weird in that I am completely "marathon? what marathon?" The concept that it is 6 days away is not even on my radar. I keep trying to pump myself up but failing. Went and cheered friends on at a 5K yesterday. Originally I was planning on running it as kind of a final speedwork session but my knee is still cranky so I just watched. I think mentally that 5K would have been good...if I did well. And bad if I didnt. I feel much slower than what I was in June.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was pumped during the several weeks that my knee was behaving. I really thought I'd be able to get through most of the race without any issues--I mean, it really didn't bother me at all during my second 20 miler, so I thought it was behind me. Now I'm just pissed and freaked-out. I'm contemplating hours of being in pain beyond "normal" marathon pain and potentially doing serious, lasting damage. Inside my head is not a happy place right now.

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Breathe in slowly, hold for 5 seconds, exhale slowly...I predict you are going to be fine and rock that race!! I had a lot of pains that seemed real, would never go away, and then did just in time for race day. Hang in there girl!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pain by itself wouldn't freak me out...I've had "phantom pains." It's the audible noises and popping sensation that go with the pain that tell me it's not psychosomatic. It's the exact thing that plagued me for the first 12 weeks of training. I'm just hoping this super easy week allows the muscles enough recovery to help keep the kneecap tracking a little closer to the way it should.

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Did you ever get that problem diagnosed? I will keep my fingers crossed for you! I'd say there are other races if this one won't work, but I know how disappointed you'd be. So, I will keep all fingers and toes crossed from now til race day!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I saw the PA at my doc's office a while back. He thought it was some sort of bursitis (which honestly makes no sense to me and I think he was just tossing out the first thing that came to his head). The only thing that helped was putting Superfeet insoles into my shoes. They made a drastic difference immediately. And for the better part of a month it seemed like the problem was behind me. Then blam, a week ago it came back. It's still not as bad as it had been at its worst...but I also didn't try to run 26.2 miles on it. He did say that if I wanted to he'd send me for PT. I think after the race I will take him up on it and see what a PT doc says. I'm guessing they would refer me to an ortho.

~ Sarah Kay

He did say that if I wanted to he'd send me for PT. I think after the race I will take him up on it and see what a PT doc says. I'm guessing they would refer me to an ortho.
                                I'd be willing to bet that if you're going for PT first, you're not anywhere near heading to orthopedist. You may have stiffness/tightness or imbalanced muscle development that is causing some of your issues. For the knee issues (I developed knee issues after trying to ramp up from time off), my PT had me walk backwards on a treadmill at a moderate incline at a slow pace (I think in the 1.3-1.5 mph range)--holding onto the rails for guidance. I've discovered that a physical therapist is half chiropractor, half personal trainer. Less voodoo than a chiropractor, way more physiological knowledge than your standard gym personal trainer.