Marathon Training and Discussions

Lessons learned (Read 558 times)

Pammie

You learn by your mistakes don't you so what did your first marathon or early marathons teach you. Currently training for my 2nd 1st was Dublin last year, next is London next year. About an 18 month gap don't know how some people do this on a regular basis. Anyhow Work disrupted my training making my running inconsistent it was quite stressful made sure i did long runs but forgot about the key workouts. Tempo runs MP runs That said i didn't do enough long runs and they weren't long enough didn't race anything longer than 5km in the months beforehand
      Good topic, Pammie. Here's what I wrote for myself about a week after my first marathon last month.
      Things I should have done better in my first marathon training program: Things I should pay better attention to in my next marathon training program: 1) Don't skip so many long runs. I only ran 20 miles one time instead of the 3 times that Pfitz had planned for me. I also skipped an 18 and maybe a couple of the 17's also. Only one of these was due to injury (the glass foot week). The rest were because I somehow found an excuse to not do it. 2) Don't try to run more than 45 miles a week until my body is better prepared. I knew going into the 55 mpw (peak) plan that I was being overly ambitious. I knew I would have to cut out some recovery runs to keep the mileage down. However, I'm bull headed and still had to run a couple 50 mile weeks - probably just so I could say I did. 3) Don't smoke. I know this obvious to those of you on the outside looking in. But when I was just "sneaking" one or two - here and there. I thought I could get away with it and put them down again. I was wrong. My training suffered for it. Both in not able to give what I wanted and using it as a crutch/excuse to skip runs. 4) Don't overeat. I had planned, silently, to lose another 5-10 pounds while doing the training plan. I thought, "I've already lost 25". Losing another 5-10 should be easy with all these miles. Wrong again. It's too easy, for me anyway, to pile on the calories with the excuse of "carb-loading". I'm down 5 pounds already since the marathon and really want to get to or below 185 before Cowtown (that's 10 more pounds for those of you out in TV land). 5) Don't skip the MP runs Pfitz doesn't put many MP runs into the plans. My upcoming 12 week plan only has one for example. I think my 18 week one also only had one. I had good reasons for skipping it last time. I just didn't have the gas that day and it was hot. Next time, I need to try a hell of a lot harder to get it done. If I can't do it when prescribed, then I need to reschedule it. I think the MP run would have been a good confidence booster while teaching my body what marathon pace feels like. It's also pretty close to an extra tempo run - which would be a good thing. Again - I'm not down in the dumps about any of this. Just being realistic about some negatives/mistakes/poor choices (whatever you want to call them) I made during training. I hope the act of me writing them down helps me to not make them (or at least as many) again next time. On the positive side of things, I learned a hell of lot. About training for a long distance running event. About my body. About eating healthier. About muscles that can be painful - that I never imagined I had. Etc. Etc. I'm still sitting on a 25 pound loss. I've run over 950 miles this year. And in early February of this year - I was a slug on the couch. I also didn't smoke - for 6 months of the year. So all in all a fantastic year. Thanks for reading, if you made it to here. And please, someone remind me to read this again if I start slipping in my training for the next marathon! Wink

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I've learned from all my long races: Fuel early and often (i follow the Hammer Gel website recomendation for my body weight). I take salt tabs regularly throughout the run, and drink only water. Limit the time spent in aid stations/water stops.
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
        PWL

Has been

Be honest with yourself when setting your marathon goals. Even the most pessimistic person seems to become eternally optimistic when they become a runner. It's pretty easy to will yourself through a 5k you are undertrained for. It's considerably harder to do the same in a marathon. And it is true that at mile 20, you are only halfway there.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Pammie

Thanks for all your replies guys. Lots of good advice there and i am sure that we are all still learning as we do each marathon there will always be something new to learn
              Although I did manage to do every scheduled run, I fall short in the nutrition/hydration department. FUEL!!! I need FUEL!!! all the good training in the world does me no good if I barely eat in the days leading to the event. I also learned the hard way, after being warned and not taking the warning to heart, NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!! The day before my first marathon I bought new socks...BAD BAD BAD! they cause my shoes to fit too tight, I lost 8 toenails and suffered the entire race. I've only run 2 marathons. Each time I learn something new. I'm hoping that my next one leaves me feeeling like I figured it out. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

Carl A

Don't feel bad, guys. For your entertainment, here's what I learned from my first marathon in 1999: 1. Wear running shoes, not racquetball shoes. The treads wore out and left me running on holes. 2. Read about training, and then train. My total of about ten 3.5-mile jogs in the three months before the race didn't help me much. 3. Don't drink a bottle of water at the start just because the pre-race announcer says to do so. Luckily, the first half of the course had plenty of trees. 4. Death will probably not be as painful as finishing that race. Smile

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Katie H

Chicago winter running

Good to read other people's lessons and think about what I've learned- since each marathon teaches me something new. A few of those things: Don't listen to anyone else about what you should do if it goes against your experience. In terms of clothing (I ran my PR in a cotton shirt b/c I'd done my long runs in it and considered it "lucky"), training, eating- if it's worked for you on your long runs, you'll be fine for the marathon. Do whatever it takes to get focused on the race and remind yourself what a serious endeavor it is. I like that phrase, "Trust your training, Respect the distance." I also hang running quotes on my wall, watch Chariots of Fire and read parts of Once a Runner. I went into one marathon pretty well trained but totally unfocused and couldn't deal with the pain when it started to get bad. But also, don't (as I think of it) "run the race twice". If you're obsessing about every mile, you'll be mentally tired heading into it, already expecting the fatigue. Make your number one goal finishing so that you're still happy at the end of the race, regardless of your time or goals. Its always a great accomplishment to finish!
                  We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.

...---...

...Don't listen to anyone else about what you should do if it goes against your experience. In terms of clothing (I ran my PR in a cotton shirt b/c I'd done my long runs in it and considered it "lucky"), training, eating- if it's worked for you on your long runs, you'll be fine for the marathon. ... I like that phrase, "Trust your training, Respect the distance." But also, don't (as I think of it) "run the race twice". If you're obsessing about every mile, you'll be mentally tired heading into it, already expecting the fatigue. Make your number one goal finishing so that you're still happy at the end of the race, regardless of your time or goals. Its always a great accomplishment to finish!
                    Some of the best advice I've seen posted to date, summarized from anyone! ANd there are some really good posts in here, but nothing quite as philosophical.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I learned a few lessons on my one and only marathon so far. I learned that the human body is gross - monthly issues and tummy troubles at mile 10. I learned also that at mile 20 I was completely misled by my own excitement and for some reason 6.2 miles sounded soooooooo easy. Roll eyes By mile 24 I was ready to sell my soul for a penny if it would allow me stop running without guilt. I also learned that running it with a friend was awesome! (Thanks Pam!!)

Michelle

...---...

... I learned that the human body is gross - montly issues and tummy troubles at mile 10.
                        You know, I just don't think I could deal with being a woman.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Katie H

Chicago winter running

You're funny Runner 67 Smile ha ha- (read your About Me section). Thanks for the laugh!
                          We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.

...---...

You're funny Runner 67 Smile ha ha- (read your About Me section). Thanks for the laugh!
                            That's what I'm here for. My "about me" section changes periodically...check back from time to time for updated baloney about me Big grin

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I also learned the value of taping prone blister spots.

Michelle

You know, I just don't think I could deal with being a woman.
                                Oh, but it's so much fun...MOST of the time. Big grin

Michelle