Marathon Training and Discussions

2 Marathons 2 weeks apart (Read 258 times)

Go Pre!

Hmmmm. I'd like to. I think I can. First one fast, 2nd one for fun. Hmmmm. I need to decide today. I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow but I will cut it short. 1st marathon is next weekend, giving me only 2 weeks of tapering in total, but I just feel so good and ready. Thoughts?
    JakeKnight

Hmmmm. I'd like to. I think I can. First one fast, 2nd one for fun. Hmmmm. I need to decide today. I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow but I will cut it short. 1st marathon is next weekend, giving me only 2 weeks of tapering in total, but I just feel so good and ready. Thoughts?
      What's to think about? MTA: Okay, I'll clarify that. Do them both. If you feel good after the first, run the second hard. Yes, I know what the books say. If you're like me, the books are wrong. I just ran a significant PR 2 weeks after running a PR effort in another marathon (only the weather kept it from being a PR). And that was just 1 week after a 42 miler. And a 90 mile week. Is there risk? Yeah. My legs are still feeling it. And don't be surprised if you get to mile 18 of the second race and your legs decide you're not running fast anymore. But personally I'm 100% certain that - at least for me - there is a period of 3-4 weeks at the end of a training cycle during which I can run (at least) 2 hard marathons. My last PR came 3 weeks after I set a PR at last year's CMM. Just 3 weeks later, on a much, much harder course, yet I did it 7 minutes faster. It would have been 10 minutes faster but for a massive cramp at mile 24 (which may have been attributable to that earlier marathon). Go for it. Have fun. But be smart. Setting out to run the other one "for fun" isn't a bad idea. I think its precisely because I was thinking that way that I managed to run so fast. Just listen to your body and don't be afraid to dial it back if you think you should.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Go Pre!

Thanks JK, heading to bed now..deciding overnight. Will run a 13 miler if I decide next weekend is to be a full, or a 22 miler if I decide not to. Oh the conundrums of loving to run.

Go Pre!

Decided this one mid run, kept going and ran it as my last long run for Ottawa (3 weeks from today). I will however still race next weekend but only do the half marathon. I will use this HM as a final speedwork and benchmark for Ottawa. ciao D

I was amazed by the number of people who ran Boston and then did the Cox RI marathon yesterday.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Go Pre!

Ya, I really felt like foing back to back, and the one I am NOT doing this weekend is a nice course. There is another marathon not too far away 3 weeks after Otta so maybe I will run that one. I'd love to see what my body can do. It is a personal goal torun 2 marathon close together AND be happy with the times...so, we'll see.