Marathon Training and Discussions

Hills (Read 309 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

The marathon i'm aiming for is Hilly so I want to prepare the best I can. I'm thinking that I'm going to run my LSD on hilly courses. I will walk where I have to and hopefully build to the point where I won't need/want to. But I'd like to do a second day of hills. My schedule lumps 3 days, rest, 2 days. In the 2 days is the LSD. Where in the 3day lump should hills go? And is it better to do hill repeats, a hilly course, or a flatter course with some hill repeats thrown in (warm-up, hill repeats, cool-down)?

But I'd like to do a second day of hills. My schedule lumps 3 days, rest, 2 days. In the 2 days is the LSD. Where in the 3day lump should hills go? And is it better to do hill repeats, a hilly course, or a flatter course with some hill repeats thrown in (warm-up, hill repeats, cool-down)?
      I'd put it right in the middle of the 3 days, and I'd just run at an easy pace and let the hills do the work for you. Especially when base building and at low mileage, there just isn't a need for the speedwork. You can get the benefits w/o as high of a risk of injury. Once you get closer to your race, you may decide its time for some speedwork or hill repeats, but early in a training program just stick to easy running.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Shan, Shan, Shan. Trent has been over this. Many times. You can prepare for the marathon. But you can not prepare for the Monkey. Or the monkeys.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Oh Mighty Wing

ok. Yes I definately don't plan on doing intentional speed work! So I will just plot out hilly courses (not hard to do in this area). Thank you soo much!!
            Shan, Shan, Shan. Trent has been over this. Many times. You can prepare for the marathon. But you can not prepare for the Monkey. Or the monkeys.
            White Rock, Mike? Do you know if it fills up before race week?

Oh Mighty Wing

don't worry I'm not stupid enough to try and outrun them but I'd like them to at least think i'm worthy enough to carry away!
                White Rock, Mike? Do you know if it fills up before race week?
                Yes it does. IIRC - it filled up about a week (maybe 2) before race day. They are opening more spots this year - so don't know if we will be in the same boat as last year.

Yes it does. IIRC - it filled up about a week (maybe 2) before race day. They are opening more spots this year - so don't know if we will be in the same boat as last year.
                  Cool. I'm a little concerned about my first option... Louisville. May have to go to Dallas and hang out with my old Pizza Hut co-workers if Louisville doesn't work out. Maybe I could even get a sponsored trip down.
                    Cool. I'm a little concerned about my first option... Louisville. May have to go to Dallas and hang out with my old Pizza Hut co-workers if Louisville doesn't work out. Maybe I could even get a sponsored trip down.
                    Sweet. Keep me posted. Would be great to meet up. There will probably be at least a few RA peeps there this year. Also - I have about 4 first time marathoners from work and elsewhere that will be running too. So there is sure to be a good gathering for lunch/drinks afterward.

*doh* Just checked the date in December for conflicts... White Rock is ON my wife's birthday. Unless I can somehow convince her that Dallas is where she wants to go for her birthday, that's probably not going to work out.
                        *doh* Just checked the date in December for conflicts... White Rock is ON my wife's birthday. Unless I can somehow convince her that Dallas is where she wants to go for her birthday, that's probably not going to work out.
                        The Monkey is about halfway between the Louisville and Dallas dates. Just sayin'.

The Monkey is about halfway between the Louisville and Dallas dates. Just sayin'.
                          Yeah. Monkey's on the table. Stress fractured femur guy that I work with has it on his list, too.

Oh Mighty Wing

or you can come up to Philadelphia... but I won't be able to show you around because i'll be at the Monkey.
                              I wouldn't mind nashville. short trip for me. The question is, do I want to torture myself on a second hilly course this year?