Marathon Training and Discussions

1/2 marathon practice race? (Read 227 times)

Go Pre!

I posted this in the racing forum...forgetting I should have posted it here...oh well, for those who may have missed it. I am thinking of running a half, not at a full out pace...but sort of like a practice 2 full weeks before the marathon....thoughts? Dave

Dog-Love

Definately...use those as training runs, but the hardest thing is not running it as a race. Just let that runner that's been on your heels for 2 miles pass you with less than a mile to go. Go ahead, I dare you!
      Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
      Scout7

My only caution is to guard against be tempted to actually race the half. I know for me, it's nigh impossible to show up at a race, and not race. But, that's me. If you can be pretty sure that you won't blow yourself out on the half, then go for it.
          Good luck with your half marathon. I know it will be hard not to race it (the racing demon Evil grin would take over me) maybe if you ran the first 16km at marathon pace and then raced the rest, you should still be in good shape for your marathon. and passing a few people in the closing stages always feels good

Dog-Love

You know I was thinking it might be a great idea to run it with a frind who is 1 minute per mile slower than your race pace and keep them motivated to finish at that speed. Slow you down and speed your friend up
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              I did a 12.4 mile long run 2 weekends before the big deal. Not quite a 1/2, but close enough. No problems from that run, but did run approx 1 minute per mile slower.

Go Pre!

I scaled back this weekend, as per the training schedule, and did 25K, I choose to attempt to maintain a quick yet comfotable pace and ended up running 24.5K at a faster pace than I ran my last HM...and I felt good enough to run again today (although I did take a rest day) So i am pretty stoked about that. I will still pace myself for the marathon to make sure I finish standing up Smile