Marathon Training and Discussions

How Long After Marathon Until... (Read 1032 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

AP, I'm not sure what this means, but I'd like to answer it honestly/seriously. A double is 2 in 2 days, a triple 3 in 3 (and 4 in 4 is quadzilla). If you mean "between marathons" as the time between the first day's race and the second day's race, true, I don't run Smile. I eat a ton and I travel from race A to race B. ...
    Yep, that is what I meant. I figured you probably stopped running after the first marathon and didn't start again until the second (the next day). Although, have you experimented with jogging immediately after a marathon, or in the afternoon -- and if so, how did that work out for you?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Ok srlopez. Where is the quadzilla? Someday I will join the Maniacs so this is kinda need to know stuff.
      It used to be that the Tahoe Triple was a Thu,. Fri, Sat event. So you'd do those three races and find a 4th marathon somewhere else on Sunday. But they moved the triple to be Fri, Sat, Sun... so it doesn't work anymore. Last Thanksgiving weekend, there were Fri, Sat, Sun races in the Seattle area. So the traveler with no family commitments could run the Thanksgiving Day race in Atlanta, hop a plane and then run the other three races in the Seattle area. Unfortunately, the Friday race in that series was probably a one-time-only event. So the quadzilla is very elusive. As it should be. Triples are hard enough to find aside from the Tahoe series. AP, I always walk several miles on the afternoon of a marathon. I've also been known to run a marathon, drink a bottle of water, turn around, and go back out onto the course several miles to run my friends in. I probably do that every few races... basically, it just turns a marathon into an ultra. I don't think I've ever run a marathon, rested a few hours, and then run some more. I *have*, however, raced (as in actually all-out raced) a 5k on a friday evening and run an ultra 12 hours later on Saturday morning.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... I *have*, however, raced (as in actually all-out raced) a 5k on a friday evening and run an ultra 12 hours later on Saturday morning.
        This Sat I'm doing Frederick 5K, and Sun Frederick Mara. No ultras for me. At least not yet.

Hawt and sexy

Come on. Ultras are fun. Join the dark side.

I'm touching your pants.

xor

This Sat I'm doing Frederick 5K, and Sun Frederick Mara
            Ooo! That sounds fun. Good luck! Let me know about the Frederick races. I need to re-run MD because I only did one race there (the now defunct Montgomery Marathon in the Parks) and my time was pretty close to 5 hours. I want a sub-4. And if I can run a 5k the day before, bonus.

Hawt and sexy

Does that mean you are doing the Baltimore/Steamtown double? My very humble apartment becomes a running hostel for the occasion in case you need a place to stay.

I'm touching your pants.

xor

No, if I was running Baltimore, I wouldn't be asking about Frederick. I probably can't travel anywhere Steamtown weekend anyway. This is ok.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I might peek over the fence this weekend, just for a look from a distance. Assuming I still feel pretty good after I cross the line at Frederick.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Ooo! That sounds fun. Good luck! Let me know about the Frederick races. I need to re-run MD because I only did one race there (the now defunct Montgomery Marathon in the Parks) and my time was pretty close to 5 hours. I want a sub-4. And if I can run a 5k the day before, bonus.
                    The 5K is flat as a pancake -- I just got a 28sec PR on it. The marathon is NOT; I'm glad I wasn't racing that for time, because the big hills (to me) in the second half would have broken my pace or myself or both. The half-mara doesn't include the big hills, so it's probably pretty fast.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

36mi today, 32 of them consecutive: 2mi jog over & 2mi jog back, and did 6mi immediately after mara without stopping. My pace dropped off about 2min/mi after mara finish -- must be psychological, as 27 can't be so different than 26. Observations: plenty of pain, slowness, chafing, and misery out there for me after 26. You all are crazy. It must be contagious, because I want to try again; I think being in a race/having a fixed goal & finish line at the end would help. I need to research tricks to prevent chafing when running a long way in the rain, I think. Also, I ate everything I was given or took off an aid table (except a second oatmeal cookie thing I couldn't open because I think my hands were swollen -- anyway they were cold) - including two bananas, half a bag of chips, a gu, orange slice (should have taken a handful, I love those), jellybeans, and some cookies & cream flavored package of cookie things or something. I enjoyed trying to eat everything. I thought that sounded in the spirit of what I've read about ultra runs.

Dave

because I want to try again; I think being in a race/having a fixed goal & finish line at the end would help.
                        Go to Hell. Hell, Michigan. I'm thinking about running that one this fall. At least you'd have a place to stay Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

13 hour time limit? Um, my feet hurt before the 20th mile of a marathon. I'm not feeling ready to go run something that takes, roughly, forever. But it is an exciting idea Smile MTA: That means, let me know your progress on deciding about it...

Prince of Fatness

So Chris, how do you feel and how did you decide to organize the week?

Not at it at all. 

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

So Chris, how do you feel and how did you decide to organize the week?
                              Felt great the day after the marathon, so I ran .5 mile at a 14mm pace just to loosen up some, walked the omaha zoo, ran through an airport. Yesterday felt perfectly fine, so I did some stationary bike and weight training. I'm taking today off, mostly because of time, and I plan to get 3 miles in tomorrow, cross train on Friday, and run 4 miles Saturday. Next week will be 4 days running (total of 18 miles), plus cross training (swimming 3x a week), plus me walking in relay for life (should get 15 or so miles of walking in). After that, I should be back into the mid-30's pushing into the 40's.

Chris
                              PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Prince of Fatness

Sounds like you are recovering well. Nice.

Not at it at all.