Marathon Training and Discussions

Hatfield McCoy (Read 210 times)

Anybody in for the Hatfield McCoy Marathon?

Never heard of it - where is that one?

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Never heard of it - where is that one?
        The feud that the the festival celebrates is infamous around here. Map of location. It's about as far east as you can go in Kentucky, and splits race between KY and WV. Course Map.

Imminent Catastrophe

I've done it twice, and really had a good time. It's not an easy race--the 3 H's (heat, hills, humidity), but it's a great value, really friendly and enthusiastic volunteers with aid stations every mile(!), and includes a pasta dinner with a somewhat corny but entertaining skit of the feud. You run as a Hatfield or a McCoy. The race director is David Hatfield (yes, that Hatfield). Here's my somewhat long 2007 RR: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/92cae223afe94616822c0a641db4f34a MTA: If you plan to run this, book a hotel room ASAP, there are few rooms in the area. If you can't get one at the Sycamore Inn (pasta dinner location) get on the waiting list, it worked for me both times. Enjoy! One more thing--if you're a 50-stater it can count as either KY or WV.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'm not a 50-stater yet, but I'm trying not to repeat marathon states just in case. Ky Derby Festival marathon is KY and IN, this would be my WVa.

I'll have to keep that in mind. Where's the dividing line between the two states, the rail road tracks?

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Looks like inside (SW) of the tracks.

Imminent Catastrophe

It's the river.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016