Marathon Training and Discussions

Sub-3 hour marathoners? (Read 87 times)

runnergurl23

Hey all! I'm looking to run sub 2:50 for a marathon next summer (June, 2015) and was hoping to hear advice on training plans, nutrition and/or any other insights or information that can be helpful for me from now until then. I've run two marathons so far (one at 3 hours and one at 2:58) and I think there's a lot left in the tank. Thanks and I look forward to your comments!

highonrunning

I'm sure others will chime in soon.

I was influenced by some older generation runners (I'm 23) so take my two cents with a grain of salt.

Consistency is and should be at the top of your list. Day in and day out is what made me go from 2:52 to 2:44.

There is no magic number to long runs, meaning doing a 17 miler has little difference to a 20 miler. (I just got one single long run of 16 in route to my 2:54 @ Chicago.) There goes consistency huh?....

This past winter when i was training i found running at goal marathon pace(GMP) particularly helped me become comfortable to run at that pace. Getting in long run with at least part of it at your GMP a couple of times a month will help tremendously.

Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another. I suggest looking back at your past training and see what you did slightly differently going from 3 to 2:58. It could just be as simple as getting in an extra 100 miles that helped you feel a little more prepared.

Finally, give yourself some time, I don't know much about your running history, but two marathons and making the jump from 2:58 to 2:50 might be a little ambitious. Be patient, listen and let your body adapt to the training.

There are many pieces to the puzzle but really running a marathon is pretty simple, we just tend to make to make it more complicated then it should be.

runnergurl23

Hey thanks for your post! I appreciate your insights and advice, I agree consistency is a key component to marathon running Smile

beat

Break on through

Following a set plan was helpful to me.  I got a lot of good information from the book, Advanced Marathoning by Pfitizinger and Douglas.  Given that, I think the two biggest things to help me get under 3 hours were the mid-week medium long run (11 - 13 miles) and weekend long run (14 - 23 miles).  One other thing... don't get injured!  (I know, sometimes it's easier said than done.)

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."