Marathon Training and Discussions

Maximum premarathon long run distance (Read 428 times)

I'm considering doing a 50K one month before Boston. Thoughts? I would treat it as an easy long run before the taper. Emphasis on easy. It would be my longest run ever, but really, it's just like 4 miles longer than a marathon. I think they have good swag is one reason. Another: I need to fine-tune my hydration. On training runs, I never worry about stopping to pee (and I run with a Camelbak on many long runs, esp. in the summer) But I had to stop to pee in my last marathon and cursed the time impact. In this organized race, there'd appear to be plenty of aid. Another: Don't see that I'll be getting much pre-Boston racing in. Another: I could say I did it.
    jpnairn

straw man

I ran a 50K three weeks before the Tucson Marathon last year, and I finished just a couple of minutes behind my PR. I think it's fine. It will work for you. I've only done two 50K races, but my impression is that it is in the same league as a marathon. A half marathon is completely different. A 50 miler is probably completely different, but I wouldn't know. But a 50K is the same sort of race. But it's 5 miles longer, not 4. I'm warning you because you don't want to bonk at 30 miles with 1 mile to go.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Math was never my strong point - but I've verified, this is a 50K, not a 50 miler.
        Katie H

Chicago winter running

I also think you should do it. I also did a marathon a month after a 50K and it was my best marathon time this year. I think all those miles really make you extra strong and a month is plenty of time to recover and get the benefit of strength from the Ultra. I think you'll love it and will also rock your marathon. Especially if you're treating the Ultra as a long training run, I think you'll benefit from doing it. I'm thinking about doing a 50 K two weeks before Boston this year and know how foolish that is! Curse the race directors who put them so close together! Good luck!
          We must speak with all the humility that is appropriate to our limited vision, but we must speak. - MLK Jr.

I did a marathon 7 weeks after a 50k, also ran a PR. However, 3 weeks after the 50k I failed to run a 5k PR Sad (I did have a 1 second season best time for the 5k though.)

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jpnairn

straw man

I've run a 5K the day after a marathon, and a marathon the day after a 5K. On neither occasion was the second race exceptionally good for me. Go figure.

I've run a 5K the day after a marathon, and a marathon the day after a 5K. On neither occasion was the second race exceptionally good for me. Go figure.
                I've done a 5k 3 days after a marathon the past couple of years. Those runs are just to get my name in the paper and because I sponsor the series (which runs over 19 weeks) and I rarely race during them anyway. In fact, there was a 5k 3 days after the 50k last September. It really wasn't a pleasant run and it was all I could do to keep a 9 year old girl from beating me.

Run to Win

I'm curious what everyone thinks about doing a 5K the week before a marathon. Gut instinct tells me not to since I haven't been doing much speedwork and it's my first marathon, but I just saw a local one advertised today and was considering it.
                    I'm curious what everyone thinks about doing a 5K the week before a marathon. Gut instinct tells me not to since I haven't been doing much speedwork and it's my first marathon, but I just saw a local one advertised today and was considering it.
                    Sure, you could. But why? Personally, I would not risk the training I put in for the first marathon. What if you pull a hamstring HTFUing to the 5k finish line. There's a lot more 5Ks for you to run afterwards.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Personally, I would not risk the training I put in for the first marathon.
                      I can't believe I didn't even think of this. Thanks for the wisdom Mike.
                        I can't believe I didn't even think of this. Thanks for the wisdom Mike.
                        No problem. My brain wasn't firing on all cylinders during my taper either. Wink Use your marathon training to set some monster PRs after you finish and recover. My last two HM PRs came three weeks after my marathon and ultra.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

First, I agree with Bonkin, there's no sense in it before your first marathon. That being said, I've done a 5k race on a Wednesday (that I didn't originally intend to race, but wound up having to once I did the math) and then raced a 50k the next Sunday. Generally speaking, I try to keep any sort of actual short distance racing at least a couple weeks removed, but there have been some exceptions.

Run to Win

jpnairn

straw man

The 5K I did the day before a marathon, I had done a couple dozen marathons already, it was not a marathon I had a need to do well at, I found out they were putting on a 5K within a block from my house, and they were running it on my birthday. I couldn't say no to a race through my neighborhood on my birthday. Of course, that's frequently a problem for me... I can't say no. :-)