Marathon Training and Discussions

Question (Read 305 times)

Giants Fan

When do you cut out hills and speedwork from training program for marathon? Do I do these all the way up to my taper point? Just wondering. (I'm really hoping hils is out early!) I'm on week 10 of 20. Thanks

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Go Pre!

When do you cut out hills and speedwork from training program for marathon? Do I do these all the way up to my taper point? Just wondering. (I'm really hoping hils is out early!) I'm on week 10 of 20. Thanks
      Hills are roughly done in the ealrier stages, like week 4-13 of an 18 week program for example, swapping the hill days for a longer tempo run. But there are many different programs out there, including some that don;t even focus much on hills at all.
        what sort of hill work are you doing?
        And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

Giants Fan

I incorporate a loop with 5 hills and do the loop 2-3 times within about a 7 mile run. Some days I loop twice, then go do a mile and a half on a long gradual hill (the loop is shorter hills but they are steep!) Today, I really felt sore in the legs, think from Sundays run so I did two loops, then went for the long gradual and called it quits at 7.11

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Giants Fan

Also, the program calls for one week hills on Tuesdays, the next week speedwork. But I've tweaked it so Tuesdays are hills and Thursdays on my long mid-week run I do about 4 miles at half marathon pace (so I can incorporate a little faster running in my week)

Charles Schulz

I usually do my last speedwork 4 to 6 days before the marathon. Granted, it's a light speed session at marathon goal pace with full rest, but I like getting a little leg turnover in. Also note that if you aren't doing speedwork as part of your training, that's the wrong time to start.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

jpnairn

straw man

Try to cultivate a positive attitude about hills. We love hills. Hills make us stronger. Hills sap the strength and spirit of our less determined competitors. What marathon are you doing? If you're doing a hilly marathon, don't taper your hill training until you're tapering everything else. From what I've read, you should taper your distance sooner than your intensity. You don't get the benefits from an endurance workout for 10 to twelve days after. But you can get benefits from a strength or speed session within three or four days. Having said that, I usually do a two week taper, and don't do anything really hard in those two weeks.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Giants Fan

Thanks for all the advice. Guess I will not plan on tapering those two workouts til close to the end. I am doing a small marathon in Omaha,NE. The first half is hilly, I've heard the second half is easier (I ran the first half when I did their half marathon last year)

Charles Schulz

Hawt and sexy

I live in NE PA. I always do hills. No choice here really.

I'm touching your pants.

A Saucy Wench

I live in NE PA. I always do hills. No choice here really.
                      Yeah me too. Not the PA part, the no choice part. But since my marathon has one hill in it, I figure no reason to stop.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7