Marathon Training and Discussions

Marathon Quotes (Read 286 times)

I found these quotes on a website and some may be a little hokey, but after reading them I'm going to run now! ......and maybe do some cross training and lift weights and maybe ride an exercise bike for a while and maybe some situps and..... 1. Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder: "The marathon is a charismatic event. It has everything. It has drama. It has competition. It has camaraderie. It has heroism. Every jogger can't dream of being an Olympic champion, but he can dream of finishing a marathon." 2. Frank Shorter, 1972 Olympic marathon gold medalist: "You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming." 3. Rob de Castella, winner 1983 World Marathon Championships: "If you feel bad at 10 miles, you're in trouble. If you feel bad at 20 miles, you're normal. If you don't feel bad at 26 miles, you're abnormal." 4. Emil Zatopek, Czech runner; winner of four Olympic gold medals: "We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters. If you want to experience something, run a marathon." 5. Bill Rodgers, winner of four Boston and four NYC marathons: "The marathon can humble you." 6. Hal Higdon, running writer and coach: "The difference between the mile and the marathon is the difference between burning your fingers with a match and being slowly roasted over hot coals." 7. Rob de Castella: "The marathon's about being in contention over the last 10K. That's when it's about what you have in your core. You have run all the strength, all the superficial fitness out of yourself, and it really comes down to what's left inside you. To be able to draw deep and pull something out of yourself is one of the most tremendous things about the marathon." 8. Mike Fanelli, running club coach: "I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart." 9. Jacqueline Gareau, 1980 Boston Marathon champ: "The body does not want you to do this. As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong. You always go too far for your body. You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet. It is the will to succeed." 10. John J. Kelly, winner of the 1952 Boston Marathon: "Marathoning is just another form of insanity."
    Fortitudine Vincimus - "By endurance we conquer,"
      7. Rob de Castella: "The marathon's about being in contention over the last 10K. That's when it's about what you have in your core. You have run all the strength, all the superficial fitness out of yourself, and it really comes down to what's left inside you. To be able to draw deep and pull something out of yourself is one of the most tremendous things about the marathon."
      my favorite.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

...---...

My Favorite:
        8. Mike Fanelli, running club coach: "I tell our runners to divide the race into thirds. Run the first part with your head, the middle part with your personality, and the last part with your heart."
        My wife's favorite, and personalopinion of he whole thing:
        10. John J. Kelly, winner of the 1952 Boston Marathon: "Marathoning is just another form of insanity."

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Grzldvt

By Don Kardong "No doubt a brain and some shoes are essential for marathon success, although if it comes down to a choice, pick the shoes. More people finish marathons with no brains than with no shoes."

32 Big Surs working on number 33