Marathon Training and Discussions

How long after (Read 283 times)

Giants Fan

your marathon did you run again?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

xor

After my first one, it was a couple weeks. These days, the next day usually. You may hear that you should rest a day for each mile you ran... so 26 days. This works, but it is very conservative. You may also hear "don't run while it hurts. Once it stops hurting, run." This can certainly work... and depending on what kind of soreness or pain you might be feeling, it is probably very wise.

Dave

2 days for me. I did a nice easy 4 just to work out the kinks.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

A Saucy Wench

I make sure I do SOMETHING the next day. While you are sore gentle movement helps work things out. I like stationary biking or swimming. The day per mile thing...I've heard dont run HARD again for 26 days, but not dont run at all. Except from my podiatrist who says no running for 2 weeks and then start again with 2-3 miles 3 times a week and you can add no more than 1 mile a week and then hold that for 4 weeks then add another mile. So in his math I could work up to what, a marathon a decade? If I am just sore I try to return to jogging (and yes I will say jogging) within a few days and aim for kind of a reverse taper. If something HURTS then....well usually I dont run for several weeks after a marathon because I usually end up with something hurting.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Depends on the race. I always get at least a walk in the next day. If the marathon isn't a goal race that I'm going into a recovery phase for, then I'm usually running the next day instead. My first marathon, I didn't run for a few months afterwards. (I wasn't completely over tendonitis/stress fracture at that point.) My second marathon, I started running again probably a week later. Since then, within a few days most times.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Planning to run the day after my race this Sun.... but I'll let you know on Mon morning!

JakeKnight

After the first one? About four years. After the second one? 48 hours. And haven't stopped since. Good marathon, that one.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Giants Fan

Ok, think I'm going to bike ride (short and slow) tonight, then try to walk/jog tomorrow. My brain is just dying to go run! (Its the body that is screaming at me to stay on the couch) However, the more I move, the better I feel. p.s. Plus I'm at 197.9 for the month of Sept. Know how bad I want to fit in a 2.1 run? tonight?

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

p.s. Plus I'm at 197.9 for the month of Sept. Know how bad I want to fit in a 2.1 run? tonight?
                    DO IT! After my first one, I ran the next day. The next two I went for a walk the day after and then a short run the day after that. Remember to keep it real easy for at least a whole week. Once the pain goes away, it's all too easy to run too fast when you are supposed to be recovering.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Roses Revenge

A walk the next day. Generally, an easy week and then ramp the mileage up again. The week after the marathon I try to do about as much mileage as I did the week before the marathon. The week after that, 12 to 15 miles on the weekend, plus whatever I did during the week. After that, it depends on when the next race is.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Giants Fan

I did it! Ran an easy and slllloooowww 5 this morning!

Charles Schulz

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, how was it?! I'm hoping that I will be up to 1 short/easy run in the week after my race, too. I'd like to hit 30 miles for that week. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

It was ok. Felt a little tight at first, the more I went the looser things got. Too dark to see my Garmin and I wasn't out there for pace anyway but I couldn't believe what felt comfortable for today was as slow as it was! I've pushed pace for so long now....Going out again tomorrow, just try to run easy rest of the week.

Charles Schulz