Marathon Training and Discussions

Today it begins... (Read 394 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...the start of officially losing my damn mind. It's June 1, aka 18 weeks until my first marathon. Black eye Today on the workout schedule is ab work and quad/hip strengthening (to keep the knee issues from returning). I'm not feeling motivated. It's gonna be a LONG 4+ months, methinks.... Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Future running partner.

Try not to look at it as 1 long 18 week schedule now that you have started. That can be overwhelming Shocked. Focus on 1 day and 1 week at at time. Perhaps give your self some doable intermediate goals that will lead up to your ultimate goal at the end of 18 weeks. When you accomplish those intermediate goals, you will have more motivation to continue training. Wink

Think Whirled Peas

Starting? Starting to lose your mind? Huh... Wink You put a solid plan together, trust it. You can do this. You're about the most consistent runner around...sheesh.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Starting? Starting to lose your mind? Huh... Wink You put a solid plan together, trust it. You can do this. You're about the most consistent runner around...sheesh.
          Shut it, man...yeah, we know my sanity has long been questionable--I think I was a lot more sane before I started running. I mean, really, who PAYS money to run?! That's just nuts! Tongue OK, I will stop hyperventilating, now. Oh, wait...I think that was just the asthma. Clowning around

~ Sarah Kay

Hey zoom I'm five weeks out from my marathon and the end of what will have been a 26 week training period - admittedly the first 12 were all solid base building but still a long time! I've had a couple of things that have made it easier to get through: - i've used a 3 week build period/1 week recovery week phase which essentially breaks the training down into 4 week blocks. It is much easier to do 3 weeks build with the goal of reaching the cut back week and recovering there. It also turns an 18 week plan into 4 blocks which are also easier to achieve. - an A4 sheet of paper pinned up at my desk at work with every week listed, the distance of my long run according to the plan and the total weekly distance. On Monday morning I can come into work and cross off another week from my list - a visual sign of progress and a good way to start the working week - Races. Do't over do it, I put two races into my program, one 15 weeks from marathon and one 7 weeks. Just gives something different. - Vary the training, including session types and for me courses, running the same courses always got me bored so I chose to explore different areas when i went running - Share your runs and experiences on Running Ahead!! This was the first time I made notes on my runs and that in itself is good motivation, tells so much more than just looking at the numbers (pace, HR, etc) Hope that this is some help to you Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

...the start of officially losing my damn mind. It's June 1, aka 18 weeks until my first marathon. Black eye Today on the workout schedule is ab work and quad/hip strengthening (to keep the knee issues from returning). I'm not feeling motivated. It's gonna be a LONG 4+ months, methinks.... Tongue
              It's not official until you have at least back to back months with racing a marathon.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's not official until you have at least back to back months with racing a marathon.
                Heh...I don't foresee that ever happening. I'm not Trent. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Go Pre!

Shut it, man...yeah, we know my sanity has long been questionable--I think I was a lot more sane before I started running. I mean, really, who PAYS money to run?! That's just nuts! Tongue OK, I will stop hyperventilating, now. Oh, wait...I think that was just the asthma. Clowning around
                  Shit - chill - training for my first was the most enjoyable thing I have ever done. I felt like I had purpose. The next 2 marathons were just as enjoyable and all other races in between have been icing on the cake. My only advice at this point, to take away any fears or doubts, is remove any time goals you have in mind for now and just focus on the plan. And for crying out loud enjoy it!
                    I didn't either, ZZ. But, you just never know. Wink Did you always have the goal of running a marathon? In a specific time? Or, oh, I don't know--running 1500 miles?
                    My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I didn't either, ZZ. But, you just never know. Wink Did you always have the goal of running a marathon? In a specific time? Or, oh, I don't know--running 1500 miles?
                      Good point. Heck, 2 years ago my only goal was to finish a 5k. Big grin And...if I had a way to train for Trent's marathon I know that would be a goal, but until I live somewhere less flat I don't think there would be any part of that race that would be "fun" for me--aside from manning an aid station, which I really look forward to doing next year. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

BTW... I DID IT. Flying Pig: May 4th Hatfield-McCoy: June 14th Pig time (for 26.47 miles): 3:39 McCoy time (for 26.22 miles): 4:42 See my BQ by 40 blog for details, but let's just say that the primary factor was NOT the spacing between marathons.
                          Good point. Heck, 2 years ago my only goal was to finish a 5k. Big grin And...if I had a way to train for Trent's marathon I know that would be a goal, but until I live somewhere less flat I don't think there would be any part of that race that would be "fun" for me--aside from manning an aid station, which I really look forward to doing next year. Smile
                          My only goal about two years ago was to be able to walk the half marathon distance in a WEEK. How things change. Marathon training is FUN. Big grin
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My only goal about two years ago was to be able to walk the half marathon distance in a WEEK. How things change. Marathon training is FUN. Big grin
                            And it'll be "funner" when my knee quits acting up. Wink Nice blog--I bookmark'd ya'! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay