Marathon Training and Discussions

Newbie (Read 250 times)

Hello! I've just joined the group! I am fairly new to marathoning. I just ran my first half last weekend with a time of 1:59:13 and am really ready to start training for a full. I really enjoyed the half and it's really gotten me hooked! Right now I'm wanting to focus on building a really good base of mileage, at least 50mpw, before I start really training and would appreciate any advice or words of wisdom anyone could offer? Great to be here Big grin
    running is my prozac
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Mara...your experience is much like mine. I've done 3 halves and a 25k, now...I need a bigger challenge! I'm also hoping to get in at least 45-50 miles/week in training. What marathons are you looking at? I'm planning on Grand Rapids, MI in Oct.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Its a fun place to be! The only marathon I've run down in the southeast was Jacksonville back in 2000, which was my first marathon. It was nice and flat, and pretty decently supported. I'll be running in Georgia in March. I think that your best bet is to choose a marathon and then structure your base training around that. If you are going to run a late spring race, then you'll want to go from base into a training program for the program in the next couple of months (depending on when the race is) but if you aren't going to do one until Summer or Autumn then that isn't as important for quite a while.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

heythereheather

I'm new here too, and I just finished the 4th week of my marathon training. Welcome!

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm planning to run Jacksonville this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'm planning to run Jacksonville this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.
              Please write us a report on that one, Russ. I grew up in Jacksonville and may have to do an early Christmas visit next year. Smile

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?