Marathon Training and Discussions

walking (Read 834 times)

Does anyone have a recommendations for walking, water, Gu breaks? I always feel like I'm cheating if I stop and when I do it is difficult to start again so I avoid stopping at all. I'm training for my first marathon and I know I will need a strategy to get me through the race. any ideas?

Giants Fan

I only walked through the water stops during my marathon (I've only run one so not a whole lot of background for you) However, it gets very painful near the end to start running again. I feel its very important to hydrate well during the race so do whatever you need to do to get your water down! I trained this way too though I think its good to stick with what you know. Good luck!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

I carry water on long training runs, do you think that would work in a marathon instead of stopping and walking through the water stops? Also what do you eat for quick energy?

A Saucy Wench

How much are you fueling now? I Gu at 16 miles on training runs of 18 or longer but during a marathon I'll gu about every 6-7 miles. I have a bigger pace difference though between my long runs and my marathon pace so its easier to under fuel in training. I carried water for my first 2 marathons, I didnt for my most recent. I used to walk through water stops, I've mastered the pinch so now I just slow to a shuffle, but dont walk. Some people always walk water stops. But I would carry in a warm or undersupported marathon (pig is well supported from what I hear) I always carry my own fuel and I study the water stop locations to try and gu about 1/4 mile before a water station. Not always successfully. You need to practice on your long runs. If you plan to walk the water stops, then walk your water breaks (at least some of them) even though you dont have to since you carry and arent drinking out of a dixie cup.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Oh Mighty Wing

I went into my 1st marathon without the mileage BUT I had a solid plan due to advice I was given by many people so here is what they said: On nutrition: 1) take fluid at every stop. Alternating between water and sports drink. 2) take gu whenever it is offered. I ate anything that was offered!! Even if it was just a bite. I drank at EVERY water stop and walked through every water stop. I did water for most of the stops - maybe gatorade for every 4th one or so. On walking: One friend suggested to walk early and often if I thought I would need to. Since my marathon was really hilly. I walked EVERY hill - including the one in the first 1/2 mile of the race. Hopefully some of this was as helpful to you as it was to me!!!
              I like the idea of taking a shot of GU and then shuffling through the water stop. It seems like a lot of energy to slow down to a walk, drink and then start running. Then again, I have compared my times when I walk to times when I don't and there isn't a lot of difference. Thanks for the great info! I've got a lot of training runs between now and the race to get it all worked out.

A Saucy Wench

The time lost to walking is pretty insignificant. The biggest reason why walking through water stops is advised is some people cant hydrate on the move and end up spilling half the water and end up not drinking enough. It's worth practicing. If you dont have another race before then, set up dixie cups on a table in your yard and run by and grab and practice the pinch and slurp.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Walking isn't cheating. It uses different muscles so it can actually speed recovery after the race. During my first marathon, I didn't start walking until I had to, and it took so much effort to get my legs to stop moving. I now take a walk break about every mile for about 20 to 30 seconds. Just keep moving. I also carry my own water bottle and have my wife replace it about 1/2 through. This is helpful on extra hot days, but also when the waterstop is a complete zoo traffic jam. Funny enough, this usually happens when people take walking breaks at water stops. No points for guessing my opinion on this issue. I Gu about every 4 to 5 miles during the race, but also do mini Snickers for the 4 mile intervals in-between the Gus. If you have your own water bottle, no need to worry about where the fuel stops are because you can chow down on your own schedule.
                    Up until recently I have totally avoided walking. The increased stress of adding more miles to my workouts is causing the muscles running along my shins to scream for the first 30-40 minutes of my runs, forcing walk breaks. After 40 minutes or so I can continue but my pace is much slower. I believe this is a simple overuse issue and hopefully I can get back to normal soon. I've been working over the sore muscles with a rolling pin and it seems to help. In the mean time I've been trying different supplements (GU, Hammer, fruit etc) to see what works best.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The time lost to walking is pretty insignificant.....
                      Wouldn't this depend on how close to your goal you're running, if you're shooting for a particular goal? Say you walk 20 yards once every two miles -- that's 260 yards. Say that slows you from 7:30 a mile to 15:00 a mile (chosen b/c I think 15 is good estimate for walking?) So you lose 7:30min/mile * 260 yards * 1mi/1760 yards = 450s * 260/1760 = 66sec. Hm, less than I expected Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Carl A

I always feel like I'm cheating if I stop and when I do it is difficult to start again so I avoid stopping at all.
                        For me, one of the keys to starting to run again after walking (and I walk a lot, especially during long training runs and really long races) is to take the first few steps very easy and then gradually get back up to running speed. A gentle start back into running costs barely any time, is easier psychologically, and may help to prevent injury. Starting to run again after walking is now a bit like falling but missing the ground. When I ran marathons, I usually walked through the water stations. If it was hot out, though, I ran and if I spilled my drink down my shirt I didn't care; I just got another one further along the aid row. Taking a gel right before you reach a water row can help keep the quads happier for longer. I'm pretty inefficient and need a lot of calories when I run, so in marathons I started eating gels right away and then aimed to get one in every three to five miles. I carried one in my hand to eat first and safety pinned five or six others to the front elastic of my shorts. At the end of the race, all that was left were the tabs, still pinned to the shorts. Have fun!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Beginner all over again

Does anyone have a recommendations for walking, water, Gu breaks? I always feel like I'm cheating if I stop and when I do it is difficult to start again so I avoid stopping at all. I'm training for my first marathon and I know I will need a strategy to get me through the race. any ideas?

Walk Early, Walk Often

Walk Early and Often.

Walk Longer Earlier.

Article About Walk Breaks