Marathon Training and Discussions

Good Grief Peeps. Did You all die? (Read 1040 times)

C-R

Dari - that's some good miles in the log. You should do well and I agree with Arla that a BQ looks within the realm. Since you have the miles, I would suggest focus on race day strategy. Running ina a crowd tends to make things a little faster in the opening miles and what I've learned in my few marathons is that the real race begins after 20 for that last 10k. Run conservative in those miles and then you can see if you are able to drop the hammer for those last 6.2. Running with a pace group helps me (if those area available).

labhiker - I think mikeymike has run this one if not I'm sure Run to Win (Blaine) has. They've been very helpful in answering my oddball questions - perhaps you can reach out to them on CC.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jebl00

I've run Cape Cod, and the last 1/2 is tough.  The hills aren't that bad, it's just that they don't quit.  I find the hills in Boston to be easier only because after a few miles they're done.  On the cape they go on for the whole last half.  I ran it in '07, 3 weeks after doing Chicago (the year it was cancelled because of the heat, and we were forced to walk the last few miles or get put on a bus).  So, maybe it just seemed tough because it was so close to Chicago, but you do hit hill after hill, with a few flat stretches, for almost 13 miles!   I did still manage to BQ at CC, but I was hurting afterwards.  It's a beautiful course, and well run race.  The Cape in the fall is a great place to visit!

Next month I'm also doing Niagara with Dari.  Her training has been going well, the club knows she's going to have a great first marathon!

Next month I'm also doing Niagara with Dari.  Her training has been going well, the club knows she's going to have a great first marathon!

thanks, jane. 

Queen of 3rd Place

My training pace is a bit too fast.  It always has been, but believe it or not I've slowed it down about 20 seconds from last year. 

Dari,

The debate about what's slow enough is one of those recurring threads, but one of the more experienced runners here once said "you need to run slow enough to not get injured". So if you're not getting injured, go for it!

Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Heeelllooooo?  anybody here??

?:  one sucky hot marathon down, next one in 10 wks....do I sleep more or run more? XT'ing was definitely lacking in this one! ....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Cryptic

I am not running any until February. HM and Trail races.

Queen of 3rd Place

Sleep more for a week, then run more

You folks who train over the summer for late summer/early fall marathons are nuts!

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

You folks who train over the summer for late summer/early fall marathons are nuts!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                  dukefan86

I finished my first marathon, Triple Lakes Trail Race, on October 3. Next one's the Outer Banks Marathon on Nov 8. Then I'll be hanging up my marathon hat for a while to work on speed.
                    Carl A

I'm walking a home-baked marathon on Thanksgiving weekend with some old friends from high school ("old friends" as in people I've known for a long time, and as in like practically 40.)

This event probably doesn't count, though, since we'll probably only run the final 50 yards, and that'll only be if our wives are waiting at the end with a camera.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

jebl00

labhiker -

Have a good race at Cape Cod this weekend!  Don't worry about the hills, just enjoy the views!

theyapper

On the road again...

I've got my first one coming up this week-end at Richmond.  Hope I can have the same first marathon success as Dari did last month.  Wow!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I've got my first one coming up this week-end at Richmond.  Hope I can have the same first marathon success as Dari did last month.  Wow!

Thanks Paul,

My marathon was a wonderful experience from start to finish. After?  Not so much, I've been sick for the last 7 days... really really sick.  Here's to hoping for the same positive start to finish success for you minus the sick part.  Good luck at Richmond, I'll be thinking about you.  I also have another friend from Cape Codwho is running Richmond, as well.  

You are ready, you will rock it!