Marathon Training and Discussions

Second guessing myself (Read 289 times)

My first marathon is in 8 days (and counting) and I've been having some serious self doubt moments (more often than not). I had a rough go this season with my training. It's the most INconsistent training I've ever done in my life but I kept it up. I've had a few injuries that had me slow down plus the stress of fundraising (I'm running w/TNT), part time school, full time work, and home responsibilities. Oh yeah, add on the stress of my husband losing his job in September and it's been a mess. Because of my injury (piriformis/ITB) my longest run has been 17 miles at a very very easy aerobic pace. My biggest trepidation is that I am just plain scared out of my mind. I've ran 4 HM (2 last year within 6 weeks of each other) and I've never felt the way I do right now about my marathon. I'm seriously second guessing even going through with it but I've come this far so I have to try. Everyone tells me that no matter what I will finish and they're right but I'm just scared. I'm telling you guys because I hope there is someone out there who has gone through the same thing. I actually had a few bouts where I took a whole week off and then there was some time where I was only running two days a week. Not nearly enough for a marathon I know. That's what has me the most scared is knowing that my training was really crappy due to life stresses. I just need some reassurance that I will make it. Besides, it is my first marathon so no matter what I run it in, it will be a PR. Maybe when I get there next Saturday, things will start to come together and I'll calm down a little.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

Imminent Catastrophe

Been there, done that. It's not the best way to prepare, but... You'll be fine. You'll be slow, and the last 10k won't be any fun , but you'll make it. Let us know how it went.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Thanks Perf. I'll definately post a RR here when I get back.
        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
          Yeah. What Perfesser said. If anyone told me they weren't scared before their first marathon, I would call them a liar. I was scared to death before my first one last fall, too. My training wasn't what I wanted either. The best advice I got a couple days before was this: "You'll do fine. Make sure to have fun. You'll only have one first marathon". This didn't make me any less scared. Until I got to the starting line and the gun went off. Then the advice sank in and I had a great first marathon that I'll never forget. My time wasn't great - but that's what the future ones can be about.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I think the nerves are part of it. Just take it easy on yourself. I remember going through the same thing. I really didn't know until the last k or so if I could do it... but if you keep putting one foot in front of the other you WILL get there. You will always rmember your first marathon. I jumped up and down so much with excitement when I finsihed they couldn't put the medal on me. Remember to smile at the finish line for the photos and post a RR. Wink
            free happiness with every moment!

If it makes you feel any better, my first marathon was in December when I had a stress fracture in one leg and tendonitis in the other leg from that Autumn, and had not really had much recovery time before training for and running the marathon. My second marathon was 3 years later, after 7 or 8 months of no running I trained for 9 weeks. My longest run was 14 or 15 miles for that one. The first time that I ran Boston (2005 - my 5th marathon) I was physically unable to run longer than 4 miles at a stretch until about a month before the race (I thought I had cancer, but it turned out to be something else) So, you are probably better prepared than I was for those 3 races. You'll do fine, good luck!

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

...---...

I think I'll go down to the frig, open a nice pale ale and toast to turboterie's first marathon........ ..........Cheers! Best of luck!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

I'm telling you guys because I hope there is someone out there who has gone through the same thing.quote> Find me someone that hasn't! Yes, it's a scary thing. Focus on finishing and enjoying the race. Good luck. Will be anxious to hear all about it.
                  jpnairn

straw man

Lot's of good responses here already, but I'll throw in my two cents. Don't be scared. Marathons aren't easy, but if you take the attitude that you're doing it for fun, and keep your pace under control in the early miles, you'll be fine. You may feel once you get started that it feels good, and you can run something close to your half marathon pace. Don't fall for that. Decide right now what your goal is, based on your half marathon times and what you know about how under-trained you might be. In a marathon, a goal pace is not something you try to beat, it is something you try to stick to, at least for the first 20 miles. So decide your goal pace, an easy, fun run pace, and run it as far as you can. If you have to slow down or walk toward the end, it's not a problem. You're still becoming a marathoner. You can only do what you can do. There's nothing to be afraid of or stressed out over. Enjoy!

He who has the best time wins. Jerry