Marathon Training and Discussions

Marine Corps Marathon Training (Read 376 times)

Kimmie

Hey there fellow MCMers..... how's everyone's training going? Mine is just OK. 14 weeks to go and I'm starting to get a little panicky. I've already missed two long runs because of traveling and my daughter's swim meets. But, I need to take a deep breath and regroup. I just wrote the next few weeks on my calendar and I think that will help. This time I want to qualify for Boston, so it's time to get serious!
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Your long runs are longer than mine so far and I'm not worried at all -- I plan to put some longer ones in soon.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I was going to go long yesterday but didn't feel like going over 13.1. Next weekend I've a tri on Sunday, so I doubt I'll go long next Saturday. Oh well, I'll get to it...

Dave

Not so good. I was on a family trip this weekend (and last) and haven't gotten in the last two long runs. Supposed to go 14 this weekend. I'm wondering how everyone is dealing with the heat and humidity. With my commute, I find it difficult to run in the mornings and the evenings aren't much cooler now (plus its the only time to really spend with the family). I'm getting in my runs mid day but by the end of even 6 miles, my heart rate is climbing and I just end up feeling whipped. Any tips?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

Hey Dave, What time do you have to leave to go to work? i know it's hard, but early morning is all that works for me. I need to be up and out the door at 6 in order to get 6 miles in before work. I'm impressed that you're running in the middle of the day. It's been 98 degrees lately. Last weekend, I ran 14 miles but at a way too fast pace. This happens every once in awhile. I start out with some faster people in my group, start chatting and the next thing I know it's time to struggle. I averaged 8:20 pace for the 14 miles which is more like a race for me. Although I could talk the whole time, I was definitely struggling at the end. And I felt sore and beat up for the rest of the day. I guess if my goal is to qualify for Boston, which is an 8:45 pace, then I shouldn't complain about a faster pace for half of that. Just don't know exactly how to go about it, besides speed work intervals, etc.. Hang in there everybody!
              It's good to hear everyone's thoughts. 14 weeks is a long time and yet I can't help but feeling like I'm cramming to get ready. All part of the journey I guess.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Dave

I should probably catch some of that sense of urgency. Long runs are getting up into the 13-18 range now though and the mid-week mileage is starting to get extended. Kimmie, sounds like we may be running similar paces for the USMC. I'm shooting for about 8:40 pace, at least I think I am. Did pace work today right at 8:05 or so. Certainly couldn't hold that pace in the heat but expecting cooler temps as we get into the fall. How often do you do MP runs? Bit cooler weather over the last couple of days has been a welcome relief. Hoping that it holds out until Sunday.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Two long runs so far, in the 13mi range, and a tri this Sun so probably no long run, and I really don't feel urgent at all. Well, there's plenty of time to get urgent and scamper around later, and that's always exciting to do Smile

Kimmie

18 miles on Sunday.... took about 2 hours and 40 min. which is a decent pace for me. I wasn't really trying to go that fast, it just kind of happened. In my running group, we still have the debate about how slow long runs should be. I would say it's 50/50. Half say that you should run your long runs significantly slower than other runs, which is what I would say most people here probably agree with. The other half says long slow runs produces long slow runners. It doesn't matter that our running coaches have presented seminars to give the facts behind the long slow distance philosophy. They still disagree. Although I don't think any of them are willing to debate it with the coaches. Smile how's it going for you guys?
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Nice job. I'm anticipating finally getting my first long run in next weekend. (This weekend I had a sprint tri, then did a tempo run that afternoon -- started out to be medium, but felt good and just sped up. Fun, but didn't accomplish LongSlow yet Smile)

Dave

14 for me last Sunday. Not sure my midweek mileage is high enough to support it yet. Trying to squeeze in extra runs to make sure I'm not overreaching. On pace, I don't quite have the patience for the really slow long runs. 14 took me 2:09, about 40 seconds slower than MP most likely. I'm usually good for the first half but end up picking it up in the second as I get impatient.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

ok, just have to share again. Training has been going really well. Last week I put in 55 miles...and tonight I had a killer track workout. 7 repeats of 800s that were all right around 3:30, which is pretty decent for me.
                            ok, just have to share again. Training has been going really well. Last week I put in 55 miles...and tonight I had a killer track workout. 7 repeats of 800s that were all right around 3:30, which is pretty decent for me.
                            That's well done.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

A Saucy Wench

That's freaking flying for me! Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dave

Awesome, Kimmie. McMillan has that right on target for your (our) pace goal. 55 is awesome. I'm excited to hit 40 this week.

dgb2n@yahoo.com