Marathon Training and Discussions

Marine Corps Marathon Training (Read 376 times)

Kimmie

Hey Dave and everyone, How's the training going? I ran a 20K on Sunday in 1:42. The cool weather helped to make it a PR. This weekend will be my first 20. I'm looking forward to it? Not really. Smile I have just started doing Bikram yoga, which is intense. I'm hoping that it will only improve my running. Today when I went out to run, my legs felt a little heavy and sore, but I don't know if that was still from the race on Sunday or the class last night.

Dave

I read your race report and it sounds like you're right on track. Really nice run. The last two long runs have been solid for me (14 and 16) and I'm going to do a mid-week long run next week in lieu of the weekend runs due to some vacation travel. I'm still questioning my goal pace a little bit but will revisit that decision as the weather cools and I get some fast finish long runs under my belt. This weekend's 16 was deliberately easy at around a 9:20 pace in some cooler temps with a nice low 140 HR. Are you planning on running with the 3:45 pacer?

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

I'm not sure whether I'll run with the pacer or not. I'd like to. There is a post over in the northern VA. group from Kevin stating that they've changed the course this year. Basically, Hains Point comes earlier than in years past and then you go up and down the Mall. Check it out... Not sure how this will affect things if at all, but I do know that Hains Point is a bit tough and having it come earlier might be good. Plus, there's usually decent crowds at the Mall which will make those miles easier. 20 miles tomorrow. Smile

Dave

Figure I'd check in with another training report. After a weak week of mileage, I went out for a fast finish 18 on Sunday. Sort of ended up as two runs. A fast finish 15 that went really well and 3 pathetic miles of run/walk after I just hit some sort of wall. Maybe not "the wall" but certainly a wall nonetheless. Hoping for better once the temperatures drop. Kimmie, how did your 20 go? Others, how are things progressing?

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Dave, I checked out your MCM from last year and must say that's quite impressive given your training leading up to the race. I still feel like I'm cramming and my weekend 20 miler ended early with cramping in my left leg so that was a bummer. Training has hit a bit of a snag so I need to re-focus.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Dave

Thanks, Lank. Not sure impressive is the right word but I was pleased with the effort. I agreed to run with a co-worker who has quads at home (as in quadruplets) and wasn't getting much training in. I was running my mouth and said if he could get me a bib, I'd run it with him. He did and I did. In some weird way, I'm finding the race more intimidating this time. Not so much that I've run one but because the longer training runs are making me a bit gun shy about the longer distances. I never once hit a wall at the marathon (good hydration, nutrition, etc.) but I have in training.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

You know, I've had a couple of off weeks. On the 16th, I only ran 16 because of gastro issues. And this past weekend, I only went 8, again because my stomach was bothering me. So, time to get refocused and back on track... I guess we're all kind of in the same place. Smile