Marathon Training and Discussions

How screwed am I? (Read 906 times)

Ok been a little absent lately, Ennay what did you do? I have pretty much scrapped the marathon on May 3rd. I seriously have 12 weeks to go, haven't run over 14 miles and am pretty sure if I bump the mileage up too quickly, the achilles will just get reinjured. I'm so pissed I'm running a half! I better freaking run the thing fast, now I need to find a marathon I can do later on in the summer/fall....
    I'm not familiar with your injury, but it seems like you still have time. I already know I won't run my 5/24 marathon optimally but I'm hoping to still run it. Good luck with it.

Giants Fan

Well I strained my achilles and have cut down or cut out my running. Still feel it a little when I run but nothing like before. I don't want to run my next marathon until I feel like I can PR my time, that meant I wanted to build to at least 2 22 milers...not thinking I have time to safely do this....any thoughts??? I only have about 12 weeks left. Have to say its been frustrating!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

A Saucy Wench

Colette - have you tried slowing waay down? Most of the time when I have achilles problems it comes not from running too far, but from running too fast. Almost all of your runs are right at your marathon pace, that is pretty fast for an easy run. Why not see what happens if you kick it down to super slo-mo for awhile. You can probably still get most of your mileage in (you may want to consider running your long runs for time instead of distance while healing...it helps get you past the urge to run faster if you still cant get home any sooner that way) Your HM pace is very close to mine and I wouldn't (when healthy) run anywhere close to 9:15 on a daily basis. more like 9:45-10mm and I try at least 1-2 times a week to keep it more in the 10:30 range. And when recovering from injury I would keep ALL of it in the slower than 10-10:30 mm mile range until you are back up to full volume. Bring your volume back, heal and then do a few specific pace runs at the 9mm pace the last few weeks before your marathon.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Giants Fan

Think its the speed? It seemed like it was slower when I was running more...maybe not. I think I'm shelving the full May 3rd for sure and just training for half. I have to try slowing down...its just hard to break the cycle! How long did your achilles issues last? How is your hamstring? I keep sending healing thoughts your way...I have a friend training for her 1st Boston and I know how exciting it is. Good luck!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

A Saucy Wench

I dunno, but there is no such thing as too slow when you are healing. I have had chronic achilles problems that flare up periodically. Some shoes contribute but I know if I run with one gal more than a couple times a week I have it & she drives the pace. Not much, probably 9:30 instead of 9:45 and probably what really gets me is she is 9:30 from the get go and I usually run 1-2 miles at 10:30 to warm up. Even if I try to hold back, I find myself speeding up when I run with her.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7