Marathon Maniacs

Out Running (Read 454 times)

2011 Redding (CA)

This group has been pretty quiet for a couple of weeks. Everyone must be out running. Smile

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

Ric H

I'm doing Light at the end of the tunnel marathon on Oct 17th. I don't see you on the list Steven, I thought you were a local guy, this one is going to be fun, something different. Ric
      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Folks at the RW forum think doubles are a bad idea. Roll eyes At least the third poster did - http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/960108738/m/4951071815 We must all be trolls. Big grin

2011 Redding (CA)

"I'm doing Light at the end of the tunnel marathon on Oct 17th. I don't see you on the list Steven, I thought you were a local guy, this one is going to be fun, something different." Sorry Ric H, I'm scheduled to run 5 back-to-back starting with Portland on Oct 05 and finishing with a double of Columbia River Power and Tri-Cities on Oct 25-26. Not sure if this old body will tolerate this much running. Maybe I can join you later in the year. Istvan Cool

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Redding (CA)

"Folks at the RW forum think doubles are a bad idea. We must all be trolls. Big grin" Trent ... interesting discussion. I had run quite a few marathons (by non-Maniac standards) before learning about the Maniacs a year ago, but things like "doubles" and "back-to-back" never crossed my mind. Heck, I once ran 3 in 22 days (way back in 1982) and thought that was big cheese. No doubt a visit to the My Marathons pages is quite an eye opener for the "normal" marathoner. Ah ... what a few spinning stars will do to motivate us. Big grin

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have yet to double. Attempts to do so in the past have failed due to scheduling problems. This Fall's Indy/Lou double is just too easy and too close to pass up. I have some doubts only because my miles have been a bit lower this year after having our third child. But October is still a ways away and I should have the miles back up by then. And yeah, those spinning stars are addictive. After the double comes the double double (i.e., 4 in 2 weekends)!
              Ric H

Oh goodness sakes. Two marathoners whinning, Trent your WIFE had the baby not you. And Steven I know at 61 I'm a lot older than the Monkey King and probably you also. You are both plenty capable of the stuff you are looking at.

2011 Redding (CA)

Thanks Ric. The test of whether I deserve to be a Maniac comes next weekend (Aug 9-10) when I attempt my first double (Crater Lake and Haulin' Aspen Trail). Hope the altitude (7800 ft) and heat (no shade) of Crater Lake don't kill me off. Oh, by the way ... I'm 5 years older than you so pick on Trent (who has youth and talent). Will your schedule allow the Ghost of Seattle / Seattle combination this year? Cool

Imminent Catastrophe

... The test of whether I deserve to be a Maniac comes next weekend (Aug 9-10) when I attempt my first double (Crater Lake and Haulin' Aspen Trail). ...
                    Well, I sure hope you've been doing hills!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ric H

Yes, you sure do deserve to be a MM all of us that qualified are. I mean I see ordinary marathoners wispering to there friends at race starts "thats a maniac!" at anyone with the shirt. And I bow to your senior status, the Ancient Marathoner! And my friend Rich is running the ghost, I admit I never thought about the double before now, ouch Seattle is hilly. You're a sicko for sticking the thought in my head.
                      Roses Revenge

I really wanted to do the Columbia River Power marathon, but got voted down because I need to be in Seattle by 5 PM for a dinner that evening. I'm disappointed, but still dealing with family/friends who don't understand this maniac thing and I have to be diplomatic. As slow as I am, I couldn't do the race and get there in time. I'm still trying to figure out what I can do besides Portland this fall. There's a high school reunion coming up in there that will probably also put a wrench in the works. (Not my reunion.) Rose

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

2011 Redding (CA)

Not sure where you live Rose ... or how much you are willing to travel ... but the Humbolt Redwoood marathon on Oct 19 in Weott, CA (near Eureka) is a very pretty run. As one living in Oregon, I'm delighted to see another "Oregon" marathon and will try to run Columbia River Power each year. Sorry it does not fit your schedule. Another one for your early summer 2009 scheduler is 3 Rivers Race the first weekend in June in La Grande, OR. They just added the marathon this year to a local cycling event to benefit abuse victims. Cool

Roses Revenge

Thanks, Istvan. I'm in Portland and don't mind traveling within reason. I still worry a little about doing races too close together so not sure about doing one two weeks after Portland, but maybe Humboldt would work. I know I'm in a lot better shape than I was a couple years ago when I needed more recovery time. But I'm still old and slow.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

2011 Redding (CA)

Rose ... you're doing a great job with your races. Here are two books that talk about training methods (recover more quickly) and nutrition (recover more quickly). I've found nutritional supplements like Endurox R4 and PowerBar to greatly reduce the effects of long runs (marathons) on the muscles. Maybe they can help you also. Galloway Training Programs, by Jeff Galloway (ISBN 0-9647187-4-X) Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners, by Matt Fitzgerald (ISBN 1-59486-218-4) A number of Maniacs have read these books, and agree they have some interesting ideas. Happy reading. Cool

Ric H

Rose, I agree with Estivan, the Redwoods are like running in church and the people of that area really make you feel welcome. I did Ave of the Giants but the Humbolt is about the same race, and if they have an official pasta dinner do yourself a favor and go. The food is OK but I mean for the cameraderie of the locals and runners. And the Matt Fitzgerald book is great stuff.