Marathon Maniacs

Since y'all asked (Read 540 times)

Really lovely....however, having just returned from the world's most prestigious indoor marathon, I have some constructive criticism. At the Zoom! Yah! Yah! Marathon, each runner had a personal scorer/cheerleader, recruited from the renown St. Olaf Women's Track Team. My tracker, Caitlin, noted my every lap split (and there were 150 of them) and cheered wildly for me each time I passed, even rousing other trackers to cheer for me. Gracious and charming, she posed for a picture with me after the race. My point here, in case it's not obvious, is that each runner at the HH Marathon ought to be assigned his or her own personal monkey. Imagine the comraderie (think mutual grooming), the tips the monkey could give us on these horrid hills of which we keep being warned......the banana concoctions we could derive (I believe there are several that call for rum). Just a thought. grins, A
    Masters 2000 miles
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wink We have a marathon IN A PRISON YARD here in Nashville. 1/3 mile loop under barbed wire. Each runner has a prisoner assigned to count laps and keep time, cheer, etc. Over the course of the marathon, you pass them some 76 times! Monkeys are not so tame.

Maniac 505

My point here, in case it's not obvious, is that each runner at the HH Marathon ought to be assigned his or her own personal monkey. Imagine the comraderie (think mutual grooming), the tips the monkey could give us on these horrid hills of which we keep being warned......the banana concoctions we could derive (I believe there are several that call for rum). Just a thought. grins, A
        Amy, I don't know if it is on your list of things to do, but it is on mine. You might look into the north Olympic discovery marathon. My understanding is that their used to be one volunteer assigned to each runner (they didn't count laps, but since it is a point to point that would be a little hard to do still, it is a marathon that has a reputation for taking care or the runners, and the scenery promises to be WAY better then the Zoom Ya Ya, (and maybe even better then the flying monkey)
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Out of curiosity, what does an assigned volunteer do in a point to point run? We like to take care of our runners and I'd love to learn. I did just go look at the North Olympic discovery marathon. Indeed, pretty. But still urban. In my biased opinion, HHFMM is still prettier Wink Check it: http://harpethhillsmarathon.com/images/PWPimages/
            Where can I find out more about the prison marathon? I could combine work and play!! If I did the North Olympic, are we still able to go to the Pink Door as when we meet in Seattle and if not, is there any other place nearby where we can eat and swing on a trapeze? As to what an assigned monkey would do, why King Monkey would engage in witty repartee with me, point out interesting/scenic spots on the course, including birds and wildlife, and remind me to stay hydrated. Should I need to dash behind a shrub, he would distract the other runners, assuring me privacy. grins, A Say, let's get King Monkey to run Seattle--he'd be fantastic at the Pink Door!
            Masters 2000 miles

Maniac 505

I've never run north Olympic, but one article I read said the volunteer assigned to each runner got their medal fetched their food and beverages and anything else the runner desired. Not to take anything away from the monkey, (I Loved that race), but I would not call North Olympic Urban. Heck, You have to take a boat to get to the starting line. The Pink door might be hard to do with N.O.D. because of said boat, but if we could get the main monkey out to Seattle we could show him a real (but short) hill, and I bet the pink door would be wild! he could really show us some tricks on the trapeze!
              Mr Bill

North Olympic Discovery has finish buddys We give you a medal, a beverage, walk you to the chip removal area while monitoring your ability to walk away on your own. Then we get in line to do it again. I was Possum's finish buddy a couple years ago.
                Roses Revenge

North Olympic Discovery has finish buddys We give you a medal, a beverage, walk you to the chip removal area while monitoring your ability to walk away on your own. Then we get in line to do it again. I was Possum's finish buddy a couple years ago.
                  And very welcome you were! After the lack of support at the finish line in Eugene* a month earlier, it was great to feel so welcomed when I crossed the line in Port Angeles! Rose * Slow, but still within the time limit in Eugene. No food left - but people were walking back across the Autzen Footbridge with arm loads of food and drink as I was coming in. No paper in the porta-potty at the finish. Nobody to check to see if I was okay. Unlikely I'll do this one again unless I get a lot faster or they become more walker friendly.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Ric H

Trent, Divechief is certainly right, North Olympic is way out and isolated on the Olympic pennisula way to the west of Seattle. More of an island feel to it. Thats another race I have on my list for the future.
                    Roses Revenge

You have to take a boat to get to the starting line.
                      Well, if you are coming from Seattle, you would probably want take a ferry to the peninsula, but you don't have to. The ferry landing is a long way from the start line, however. I drove to Port Angeles and took the shuttle to the start line in Sequim. Rose

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Ric H

And one more fun Sequim fact Trent. It's in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mts and as such does not have the famous Seattle rain, fairly dry over there.
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Smile Ric, you coming to Monkey this year?
                          Ric H

Trent, sadly no the wife has put her foot down on more marathon trips this year. My upcoming Hartford/Steamtown double in Oct is all the bank account can handle. That said she's in Hawaii right now with her girlfriends.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey