Maine Runnah Group

moose! (Read 143 times)

Hey guys, I was out for my long/ slow run this morning - extra slow because of window shopping on Newbury Street in Boston this weekend and lost of white wine... I ran straight out of town north on route 1 - I wasn't feeling very creative in my course, after turning around at "Moose State Park" my neighbor on a bike, stops me huffing and puffing - he says there's a moose about a quarter mile down the road. Now - what do you do in this case? How to get home? He suggested walking and not running - so I turned off the music and walked and then I saw it - it was huge and it saw me. I ducked behind a local garage. The moose was a young bull with stubby horns, brown and shiny like a horse but at least eight feet to his head - he decided to cross the road, slowly - folks were of of their cars snapping photos. He crosses the road and wanders into a meadow by the water. I slowly walk - passing him along and back into civilization and pick up running again. Wow A

Recalculating...

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cool! You were smart to take him seriously - I worry about tourists getting too close to moose! I hope we see some when we go to our camp this summer.

Cool story. I've seen moose in the woods when running up north before, and you are right to treat them with respect. I always stop and stand near or behind a tree until it wanders off. I remember a few years ago when there was a moose in the back cove. I was running by and there was a cop telling everybody to leave so that the moose could come out. Everybody was too busy oohing and ahhing to pay attention to the cop, though, so I shortly after I left he got a shotgun out of his truck and shot the moose in front of everybody. There was a huge outcry in the Press Herald, but having been there shortly before hand I don't know what they were complaining about. The cop told them all to leave so that nobody would get hurt (including the moose) and when they didn't leave they had to kill it. It was during rutting season. Tranking it wasn't an option because then it would have just drowned to death.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

PWL

Has been

I remember that story Blaine. It pissed me off that everyone was shitting on the cop about shooting the moose. People think because they don't have big claws and big teeth that moose aren't dangerous. But a pissed off moose can mess you up pretty good. Sounds like it was quite an interesting run, A!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."