Maine Runnah Group

back pain: to run or not to run? (Read 193 times)

Hey guys, I haven't posted here in a long time, but I'm just starting to ease back into running again and thought I'd stop by. The only thing is last week while walking along a lake-shore, I slipped on a rock and had to do some weird motion to keep my balance and strained my lower back. For a week straight now theres been no improvement in it, I have no problem using it to pick things up or push a lawn mower, but flexibility is painful, and sitting in a drivers seat while going to work feels like someone has a knife in my back. I jogged a few times and noticed that it actually felt a little bit better afterwards, but then the next day felt back to normal (strained with limited flexibility). Should I continue to run since it gives me a short term improvement, or should I completely rest it for a week or so? I'm leaning more towards the former, but let me know what you think.
    2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year

If running helps, I'd lean towards running. Best bet is to see your doctor about it though.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I second the suggestion to see your doctor, and ask if you can go to PT. I waited a couple of weeks to start PT after my achilles tendonitis was diagnosed, and now I wish I'd started right away! It really helped a lot. Good luck - I know how frustrated you must feel!
          went for a 30 minute jog this morning, had no back pain, and again my back felt more flexible for about 30 minutes after the run ended, and is back to normal inflexible pain now. Its been almost 2 weeks now with no improvement, so I'm going to jump on it and get an appointment. Thanks for both of your advice.
          2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year