Maine Runnah Group

Beach to Beacon (Read 369 times)

an amazing likeness

First timer for the B2B this year. What can anyone tell me about the logistics? Things such as parking, getting to the start, getting back from Fort Williams, etc. Any pointers, suggestions, advice are appreciated. Thanks.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I park at the high school and use the trip from the high school to the start as my warm up / early morning saunter. Just take a right out of the high school driveway and follow the road to the start; baggage buses will be behind the starting line. At the end of the race, you can take a shuttle back, but then you have to wait in line for 30-60 minutes unless you leave as soon as you finish (and even then can be a wait depending upon when you finish) and where's the fun in that? So parking at the high school gives you a good cool down, just turn left out of the park and follow that to the intersection where you turned right on the course (turn left here) and the high school is another quarter mile down the road. Makes for a good walk if you aren't up for a jogging cool down. Get there early if you want to park at the high school though, as the lot does fill up and they close the roads. The first 2 years I ran I got detoured around the back way and parked in random meadows, which was fine before the race. After the race though it took me an hour of wandering around to figure out where I was parked, and I hated having to wait for the baggage bus. The third year wasn't so bad since my mother dropped me off and then found parking near the finish line. From 2006 on I discovered the high school option so I always go that route.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

Good info, thanks for the insights Blaine. Turns out there was an info packet in today's mail that answered lots of questions. Andy

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I imagine it will be pretty similar to years past.

Run to Win

PWL

Has been

Get there early, get there early, get there early.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

an amazing likeness

Get there early, get there early, get there early.
              So, if I'm understanding your advice correctly...you recommend getting there early? (g)

PWL

Has been

I might not have been real clear there--I apologize. Wink

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

It was funny watching all the last-minute folks scrambling to get to the start line last year! This was supposed to be one of my two "real" races this year, but my achilles injury has thrown me off. I'm back up to running 10k in training, but it won't be very fast, even for me. Oh, well, I'll look forward to next year.
                    what's the weather going to be like this year? hot and humid like always? maybe this week will clear us of a chance of rain on race day?

what's the weather going to be like this year? hot and humid like always? maybe this week will clear us of a chance of rain on race day?
                      It's Maine, and it's 2 weeks out. No matter what gets predicted, it will change a minimum of 15 times between now and then, and we won't know 'til the gun goes off because even looking at a forecast from that morning is likely to be wrong. Smile

Run to Win

an amazing likeness

I might not have been real clear there--I apologize. Wink
                        Hmm....how unusual for the tax man to not be real clear and concise. Perhaps form 1425-stroke-12, paragraph 14, subsection 22 explains that if you reference to table in booklet 14, it says to get to the start E-A-R-L-Y, unless you have previously been on-time, in which case form 2246, section 19 applies and you are instructed to be late.

PWL

Has been

Black eye

PWL

Has been

I think you're mocking me--but it's not clear... Big grin

an amazing likeness

I think you're mocking me--but it's not clear...
                              I am not. However, I do look forward to meeting you at the audit next spring. Smile

Teresadfp

One day at a time

8 am Forecast: Cloudy (good), 67 degrees (OK), 90% humidity (ack!)