Maine Runnah Group

Welcome! (Read 362 times)

I'm the only one in this group so far!!! Any other mainiacs out there??
    2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
    PWL

Has been

Absolutely! There are at least a half dozen others I think.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

There's at least a few of us around. It's just a matter of them finding it here. So how much snow y'all still got in your areas? I'm down to about 5 feet in the front yard and 3 feet in the back yard, but one of my teammates that went down to New Bedford yesterday still has over 10 feet in his yard. (He lives in Presque Isle, so he had a bit of a hike to get down to MA yesterday.)

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

PWL

Has been

I'm down to under 2 feet, although I still have a 12 foot pile at the edge. Great running weather today!

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

same here, definitely down to under 2 feet.... spring is coming!
              Hi everyone - great idea for this group. I'd say there is three to four feet of snow in most places in my yard. I am looking forward to spring/summer.

Hi everyone - great idea for this group. I'd say there is three to four feet of snow in most places in my yard. I am looking forward to spring/summer.
                Spring is only 2 days away. (I'm snickering at my desk.)

Run to Win

Spring is only 2 days away. (I'm snickering at my desk.)
                  My son starts tennis in high school next week. That should be interesting.

My son starts tennis in high school next week. That should be interesting.
                    Hey, at least he won't need to hit the weight room the first week. Shoveling snow is a good workout.

Run to Win

Yeah, and I get a lot of exercise just getting him to shovel Big grin
                        I'm here - up in Belfast - light snow falling now... Curling season is over and now I'll concentrate on my (slow) running A

Recalculating...

PWL

Has been

Curling season is over and now I'll concentrate on my (slow) running
                          Sweet! I always wanted to try curling. It must be cuz we're so close to Canada. Is there a league or something up there?

Curling looks like a lot of fun, kind of like bocce ball (which I am the self-proclaimed champion of). I wonder who thought it up in the first place?

Curling looks like a lot of fun, kind of like bocce ball (which I am the self-proclaimed champion of). I wonder who thought it up in the first place?
                              The game of curling is thought to have been invented in late medieval Scotland, with the first written reference to a contest using stones on ice coming from the records of Paisley Abbey, Renfrewshire, in February 1541. Two paintings (both dated 1565) by Pieter Bruegel the Elder depict Dutch peasants curling—Scotland and the Low Countries had strong trading and cultural links during this period, which is also evident in the history of golf. The game of curling was already in existence in Scotland in the early sixteenth century as evidenced by a curling stone inscribed with the date 1511, uncovered along with another bearing the date 1551, when an old pond was drained at Dunblane, Scotland. Kilsyth Curling Club claims to be the first club in the world, having been formally constituted in 1716 and is still in existence today. Kilsyth also claims the oldest purpose built curling pond in the world at Colzium - in the form of a low dam creating a shallow pool some 100 x 250 metres in size, though this is now very seldom in condition for curling due to warmer winters.

Run to Win

I've been curling for three years now, and love it; there are league night games every weekday and a youth league on Sunday. One of our members curled in the 2004 Olympics in the wheelchair division. try these if you're interested www.belfastcurlingclub.org (Un)fortunately the season ends this weekend, starts up again after Thanksgiving... we are the only club in Maine open currently, Nashua NH and Cape Cod also have clubs www.gncc.org www.usacurl.org I think the best idea is to see how it works www.cbc.ca/sports - just click on curling, usually there's video of past tournaments. I'm sure the World Championships will be broadcast on the CBC if your cable tv supports that station. A

Recalculating...