Maine Runnah Group

Maine Marathon, Gun Timed ? (Read 467 times)

an amazing likeness

Does anyone know the logic for the ME Marathon / Half Marathon being GUN timed for the official results? 

That doesn't make any sense to me given the size of the race, the crowd at start, and the full chip timing system...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, that is surprising.  The HM I did in Hampton today was the same.

an amazing likeness

Turns out I'm a moron for even wondering....the USATF rules say only gun times are official. 

"The actual time elapsed between an athlete reaching the starting line and finish line (in other words, chip time) can be made known to the athlete, but will not be considered as official time."

Which begs the question, why does the Beach to Beacon use chip time for its placements?  Just rhetorical...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, I never knew that about the USATF rules!  I guess the really fast runners, especially at races like B2B, start right up at the front, anyway.

It depends if there are cash prizes or not, usually.

B2B is actually gun time for cash awards.  Non-cash awards are up to the discretion of the race, and to qualify for other races you can usually use elapsed time since that isn't a USATF standard (Boston/NY marathons, for example.)

For the purposes of national and world records or USATF scoring, though, gun time is always used.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Blaine, are you back from vacation?  If so, how was it?? 

Blaine, are you back from vacation?  If so, how was it?? 

I am back, and it was great!  We had a really good time.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow.  I just talked to a friend who ran the marathon.  It was her very first one, although she's been a runner for a long time.  She's 44, almost 45, and has three kids (one in college, one a HS sophomore, and a three-year-old!).  She's a nice person, but very scatterbrained.  She got to the race and realized she'd fogotten her WATCH!  She saw a group of younger friends who had Garmins, so she decided to stick with them until she got too tired to stay up with them.  Well, she never got tired, and finished in 3:30:08!!  A BQ time!  I think she's still in shock!

Wow.  I just talked to a friend who ran the marathon.  It was her very first one, although she's been a runner for a long time.  She's 44, almost 45, and has three kids (one in college, one a HS sophomore, and a three-year-old!).  She's a nice person, but very scatterbrained.  She got to the race and realized she'd fogotten her WATCH!  She saw a group of younger friends who had Garmins, so she decided to stick with them until she got too tired to stay up with them.  Well, she never got tired, and finished in 3:30:08!!  A BQ time!  I think she's still in shock!

That's awesome! 

Run to Win

I'm Betty if you're Al

Turns out I'm a moron for even wondering....the USATF rules say only gun times are official. 

"The actual time elapsed between an athlete reaching the starting line and finish line (in other words, chip time) can be made known to the athlete, but will not be considered as official time."

Which begs the question, why does the Beach to Beacon use chip time for its placements?  Just rhetorical...

I was wondering the same thing this year.   

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB