Maine Runnah Group

Races this year (Read 187 times)

PWL

Has been

This thread was going to come along at some point, so I'll throw it out. Who is running what this year? I've got the following planned so far: 4/21 -- Patriots Day 5-Miler (Portland) 5/11 -- SeaDogs Mother's Day 5k (Portland) 7/4 -- LLBean July 4th 10k (Freeport) 7/19 -- Clam Festival Classic (Yarmouth) 8/2 -- Beach to Beacon 10k (Cape Elizabeth) 8/24 -- L/A Bridge Run (Auburn) 10/5 -- Maine Half Marathon (Portland) 10/19 -- MDI Marathon (Southwest Harbor) 11/23 -- Turkey Trot (Cape Elizabeth) I may sprinkle another 5k or too in there as well. I'm slow, but I like racing anyway. Blaine, any word on the New England Mile?

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Blaine, any word on the New England Mile?
      The New England Mile is dead, unfortunately. I'm sorry to see it go. Definite races that I am running (already registered): 3/31 -- ING Georgia Marathon (Atlanta) 5/4 -- Cox RI Marathon (Providence) May->September -- Back Cove Weekly 5k (Wednesdays at 6:00) 8/2 -- Beach to Beacon 10k (Cape Elizabeth) Races I am highly likely to run: 7/19 -- Clam Festival Classic (Yarmouth) 8/24 -- L/A Bridge Run (Auburn) Throughout the Summer: Bradbury Trail Races (6/9/12 milers) (Pownal) Races that I'd like to run but haven't planned my Summer/Autumn schedule yet: 7/4 -- 4 on the 4th (Bridgton) 8/?? -- St Peters 4 Miler 9/?? -- Pisgah 23k Mountain Race (NH) 9/?? -- Dan Cardillo 5k (Falmouth) 9/?? -- Eliot 5k (Eliot) ??/?? -- Craig's Cup 5k (Cumberland) Also various NE Grand Prix races that I can get paid to run. Possibly an alumni race in Rochester, NY Races that I will probably volunteer at: 4/?? -- Safe Passage (Cumberland) 5/11 -- SeaDogs Mother's Day 5k (Portland) 11/23 -- Turkey Trot (Cape Elizabeth) My general philosophy is going to be the tempo marathon in a week or so, the goal marathon in May (which I am aiming for a 10-12 minute PR in to run mid/high 2:30s), obviously Beach to Beacon will be a good effort, and otherwise aiming at a sub-16 5k sometime this Summer or Autumn. I did the Bridge Run last year and I like that course; I could see running fast there and doubt that it will conflict with other races very much. The Cardillo and Elliot 5ks are both very fast, but Cardillo will probably interfere with the Pisgah 23k (I did the 50k last year and had a blast.) I'll need to decide between those. I really like the Clam Festival, so I'll most likely race that. I haven't been able to do the St Peters race for probably 3 years now, and I'd like to make an effort to get there. I do the website for the Back Cove series, so I'll probably use those as workouts again. I might also be involved in the organization of the Bradbury races that the Trail Monsters put on, so I'd like to run those if I can. I missed the Bruiser last year since I was in DC that day. My wallet is feeling the pinch, so I'm going to cut back on my racing this year and do more volunteering. If I can make it to a race but don't actually want to race, then I'll help out where I can. Safe Passage and Sea Dogs don't really fit into my schedule given my marathon goals, so I'll likely save my money on those ones. I don't have any Autumn marathon plans yet, and since I'm getting 2 states out of the way early I might use that as an opportunity to do a local one (maybe run Maine again?) or just skip it and extend my season into cross country a bit more this year.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Here is my tentative plan. I am not sure the exact weekend for a couple races, so I put two dates next to the race: April 19 or 26 Unity College Spring 5K May 4 Brunswick Hot Pursuit 5K (only one I have actually registered for) June 22 or 29 Gardiner 5 Miler July undecided August 2 Dover-Foxcroft Academy Alumni 5K September 21 Portland Trails 10K October undecided
          I'm definitely running Camden 10K June 1 MDI YMCA Half Marathon (Bar Harbor) September 13 perhaps Unity College 5K end of April - I need a 5K tester before Camden - I might check out the one in Brunswick Rockland Lobster Festival 10K August 3 Belfast "Flat as a Pancake" 5K sometime in October I'd like to check out the MDI marathon, volunteering is a good idea. There are also group runs along the course through the summer. The MDI marathon would be my 2009 goal race.

Recalculating...