Maine Runnah Group

LL Bean 10K, July 4th, Free NB shoes (Read 374 times)

an amazing likeness

If you're a fan of NB shoes, as in past years -- the first 400 (I think) entries for the LL Bean July 4th 10K get a pair of shoes. 

Registration is opening next Tuesday (3/23) at 8AM:

http://www.runreg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=2300

Beyond the shoes, its a really good race.  Good size (~1500), tough course (lots tougher than B2B), good test of your B2B prep in a 10K.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I'll check with the wife, not sure if she'll want to run or not. We'll probably run Bridgton.

If we do decide to run it, I'll wait 'til the shoes are gone. I don't really like the New Balance shoes I got a few years ago.

Thanks for the heads up.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Who's going to be around this weekend?

Erin and I decided not to race, but we're taking part in the trash run so we'll be there picking up after you on the race course. Smile

Run to Win

an amazing likeness

They should make us 'carry out'...if you use a cup, carry it to the finish! 

I'll be there, shooting for a personal worst...but finishing this race is one of the 4 (picked from thin air) goals I set for myself afer my last surgery back in late February: 

1. get back to a 40 mile week.  Check, got one 40 mile week done.
          2. 30 day run streak.  I'm at 28 days.
          3. Run a 10 mile or longer run.  Nope. I'm having problems with the broken neck vertebrae handling the beating of a longer run, but I'm sneaking up on it and have been above 8 miles a couple times.
          4. Finish this 10K within 6 minutes of last year's time. (1 mile/minute slower).

Honestly, I just may break down in the finish chute....apologies for the drama queen posting, but this is a big deal on my journey back from lying face down in Rt 1 drowning in my own blood....

Honestly, I just may break down in the finish chute....apologies for the drama queen posting, but this is a big deal on my journey back from lying face down in Rt 1 drowning in my own blood....

I'll be cheering for you, just make sure that I don't catch up to you.

Just remember how great it is that you get to do this again...it may take time to get back to where you were but you won't take it for granted.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Andy, how did it go for you?

We spent the last two weeks in Arizona.  Sure made us appreciate running in Maine!  It was really hot even at 6 am.  My husband and son (the runner) hiked down to the bottom of the  Grand Canyon and back up, about 14 miles, in under 9 hours!  It was about 100 degrees at the bottom, and there was NO shade on the trail.

The day before, when we hiked down the same trail about a mile and a half, we saw a few runners coming back up.  I was impressed!

an amazing likeness

Andy, how did it go for you?

Teresa,

Sorry for not responding sooner. Things have been so quiet over here in our Maine forum, that I've only been breezing by every now and then and didn't notice your message previously.  Been obvious you were away for some time.

The LL Bean 10K went well.  The only words I can really express about it were anxiety and relief that I was able to do it. Anxious going in about many things:  endurance, pace, pain, lack of training time, wondering if trying to come back was the right thing to do.  I had a major feeling of triumph heading into the finish, more towards relief however, and even some anger about a personal worst time being a triumph of effort.

Here's my log write-up notes to myself from that day:

Soft brace on rt knee. Pretty warm, lots of sweat so used most of the water stops, which is unusual in a 10K. Really focused on constant effort and letting the pace do whatever. Gave way too much on the mile 3 interval by staying with the couple who had hubby pacing. Mile 4 is about right, there is so much climb in that I deliberately backed off. Should have pushed to bring mile 6 in under 8:00...bummer.

Lessons: (1) need leg turnover = add intervals; (2) need to loose at least 5 lbs; (3) have to figure out what is going on with left ankle and left hamstring

252 days since nearly being killed, so can't complain one bit. Good to be out there again.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Andy, I'm so glad it went well for you!  I can't imagine what a huge relief it must have been.  Just imagine where you'd be if you'd given up running after your accident!