Maine Runnah Group

July 4 Races (Read 167 times)

Who is racing where tomorrow? I'll be at Bean's in Freeport, if anybody spots me feel free to say hello. I'll post a link to my race round up once it's written tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Logan's running it, and I will be volunteering. Good luck, Blaine! He didn't start running again until Saturday after the break his coach told him to take, so he's not expecting to do that great. We'll see! His B2B time was 37:15, but he's gotten faster this year. I know this race is challenging, though, with the hills.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

How did you do, Blaine? I didn't see you just before mile 2, where I was doing flag duty, but I saw you cross the finish line (I had time to get there after the last runner went by my spot). Logan's time was 36:50 or so. He said he felt crappy the entire time. Two of the HS boys in his grade beat him, so he's disappointed. I reminded him that he didn't TRAIN for this race, and hasn't even been back to running long. He still came in 7th in the 15-19 age group (I thought that online it said there would be a 15 and under division, but I guess not). I had fun volunteering. I was looking forward to making cars stop, though, and not a single one came down that side street!! No chance to use my authority.

He still came in 7th in the 15-19 age group (I thought that online it said there would be a 15 and under division, but I guess not). I had fun volunteering. I was looking forward to making cars stop, though, and not a single one came down that side street!! No chance to use my authority.
          Ha ha ha! Volunteering is a lot of fun; that's why I try to volunteer at as many races as I run in. Glad you enjoyed yourself. There was a 14 and under category, not a 15 and under. Logan passed me a little bit after the mile marker, but he was hurting by 3.5 when I caught back up to him. I offered to let him draft off of me, but he didn't seem to be so inclined. He ran really well; he'll post a good time at B2B. I enjoyed the race. I was hurting pretty bad from Wednesday's 20+ miles; I'm definitely not doing that 2 days before B2B. I start training with speedwork on Wednesday (well, technically, today) so I expect to be in much better shape for August. Kristin Barry and Byrne Kinney were the only 2 runners to pass me after the 2 mile marker or even a bit before that, and I spent the rest of the race picking people off. I couldn't outsprint Jorma Kurry at the end though. Every time I closed the gap a little he stepped it up a notch, so while I did get to within a couple of seconds of him he managed to beat me to the line. My goals going into the race were ideally sub-36:00 but realistically 36:30-37:00. I went out way too fast (5:12) with that initial downhill mile, but I settled into the high 5:40s the rest of the race and ran pretty strong. I was happy with my time (35:52). I expect to take at least 90 seconds off between now and B2B though.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job on the race! Good luck getting ready for B2B. Logan's going to be out of town that weekend, so he won't make it, unfortunately. I just looked, and the website showed 15 and under for a division - I guess it was an error. Oh, Logan mentioned someone offered to let him draft off of them - I mentioned it in the general forum. Thanks a lot! Even though he couldn't keep up with you, it meant a lot to him. He just can't overcome his competitive nature to start a race slowly enough. He was trying to beat Will G. from Brunswick, who is a day younger than Logan! I'm glad there are some kids giving him a run for his money. Happy Fourth of July! We're heading down to the Eastern Prom in a few minutes.