Maine Runnah Group

Midcoast Half Marathon - new race (Read 365 times)

an amazing likeness

Searching for a March half marathon, I stumbled across the Midcoast Half Marathon (in Licolnville, north of Camden) the other day. Looks like 2012 is the kick-off year for this race.

Anyone know anything about the race, course or anything?  I sent an email to the RDs asking if the race is officially timed, or certified course, but no response yet,.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

highonrunning

Searching for a March half marathon, I stumbled across the Midcoast Half Marathon (in Licolnville, north of Camden) the other day. Looks like 2012 is the kick-off year for this race.

Anyone know anything about the race, course or anything?  I sent an email to the RDs asking if the race is officially timed, or certified course, but no response yet,.

I'm all signed up for it.

the course it's self is hilly, but on relatively quiet pavement roads. check out the race website under course for a complete look at the course. I know the guy who is behind it all and he is a runner himself so i imagine if the course doesn't get certified this year ( if it isn't already) it will be next year. I don't expect more that 150-200 people, but i guess you never know. 

I plan to run the course at some point in the near future and will let you know how i like it and such.

highonrunning

Another Half i would recommend, and i have run it, is the Blueberry Cove 13.1 in August...or coming up even faster in the Chamberlain Half here in Bangor, that has a 5k also which is in early March as well. 

The Blueberry cove 13.1 is capped at 125? maybe 150 now..i dunno..but the race course is rolling hills, and some great scenery of the ocean. Great post-race brunch, and some awesome race directors. Saturday night supper is delecious and you can stay overnight at Blueberry Cove camp as well if traveling long distance.

I don't know much about the Chamberlain half/5k though. cheap..

an amazing likeness

I'm all signed up for it.

the course it's self is hilly, but on relatively quiet pavement roads. check out the race website under course for a complete look at the course. I know the guy who is behind it all and he is a runner himself so i imagine if the course doesn't get certified this year ( if it isn't already) it will be next year. I don't expect more that 150-200 people, but i guess you never know. 

I plan to run the course at some point in the near future and will let you know how i like it and such.

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised to hear your prediction of the runner count, just based on the numbers that run other races in the Camden area (ie Peter Ott 10K), and Race the Runways getting about 300 in its first year in 2011.

I'm on a personal 'vision quest' thing, and ideally need the course to be certified and officially timed.  But that's an "ideally" thing. The RDs don't seem to / haven't responded to email sent a few days ago.

It's either this event, or the ES20, or the half that runs as part of Eastern States 20....I need to pick one here pretty quickly. Since ES20 isn't starting in ME this year (due to the bridge in Portsmouth being closed), I'm leaning towards this Mid Coast 1/2.

highonrunning

a response to your questions via Facebook.

"Not certified this year as the inspector could not make it in time and we are not using chips this year but do have a timing company coming. If we go above 200 participants next year will have chip timing then."

an amazing likeness

Thanks for the pointer to the FB page, didn't know they had one. No worries on the certified course...I heard from one of the RDs via email. 

I'm in.

Hey Guys,

How did the race go? I'm totally interested in this for next year...

ayola - formerly of Belfast, ME - now I live in Halifax, NS

Recalculating...

highonrunning

Hey Guys,

How did the race go? I'm totally interested in this for next year...

ayola - formerly of Belfast, ME - now I live in Halifax, NS

awesome race. You should defiantly come down next year! results here: http://coolrunning.com/results/12/me/Mar11_Midcoa_set1.shtml

perfect conditions. 

an amazing likeness

I think course was short by about 1/10 or 2/10.

Oh my, what a challenging course this is. I knew that we'd be climbing like mad from about 11 on in, but still got tired of it.

The back side of the course from 5 - 10 was really enjoyable, unexpected and just plain fun to run.

I can't believe they let us defile the Celladoor with runner stench before and after.

Some really unexpected, and nice, touches -- like shuttlebus along the road to/fro parked cars.

Really well organized for a 1st time race.

Thanks for the link! I see a speedy result by a friend of mine. Pretty hilly eh? Did they have blueberry wine refreshments at Cellardoor? A

Recalculating...