Maine Runnah Group

where are the 10k's? (Read 161 times)

I've been thinking about finding a 10k to run this fall, and I'm finding that there just aren't that many in Maine, at least when compared to the number of 5k races. Looking at the Maine Track Club website, I see a couple more in the next few months: Westport Island Shore Run 10K, Old Town Hall Can't do this one because I'm running the L/A Bridge Run on the same day Portland Trails 10K Trail to Ale Don't want to do this one because I don't want to run past the sewage treatment plant again. That's worse than running past a smoker. There are two more that I've never really heard much about: October 26 Great Pumpkin 10K, and November 1 Great Osprey Ocean Run 10K, Has anyone run any of these? What are they like? Does anyone know of any 10k's that are coming up that I haven't mentioned? Also, why does Maine have a lack of 10k's? The ones that I have run are great races, but I'd like more to choose from.

We are over saturated with 5k races. There used to be a few more 4 mile races, but most of those have become 5k races over the past 5 years or so.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

There's a Bangor 5-miler on Labor Day which includes a gigantic hill, about 100 people run it. For me its a one hour drive, but not really close to Portland. A

Recalculating...

an amazing likeness

I'm eying the Westport Island 10K, just for the heck of it, and wondering what they mean about it being a tough course -- it's been a bunch of years since I've been over to Westport, but it can't be all hills. Or can it? Personally, I'd like to see more 10mile or half-marathons choices....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.