Masters Running

Thursday runs & stuff ,weather you liked it or not (Read 533 times)

Let me start with my Wednesday evening group run on the bike trail, apparently the on & off freezing rain allday scarrred off everybody else I was the only runner along with 3 walkers. Actually it was not bad only icy on the 4 culverts the trail crosses. 5 miles in moderate easy pace. Off to gym later for weights & treadmill run on my last vacation day of the year. Sorry to hear about your continuing problems Timbo, I wish you a happier 2009. Coffee done I'll check in later. Have a great day.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice start today Sarge!! Enjoy the your time at the gym later on. Out for 4 miles this morning with Brinkley. 20 degrees, no wind and plowed roads - woohoo! 10:05 pace and 164 avg. hr My daughter's boyfriend is taking care of her during the day while I work .... yesterday I came home to shoveled sidewalks! I think I'm going to adopt him ..... (wondering if he dusts and vaccuums too)

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Sarge - nice way to start off the day or should I say finish off the vacation! Meg – actually the Town of York consists of four former towns that consolidated back in the 1970’s – York, York Harbor, York Beach and Cape Neddick. They are officially one town now, served by one government, etc. I lived there for 25 plus years and brought the kids up there. It was a great place to raise a family and is still a great place to work. Carolyn – thanks, but really my ordeal has been very minor compared to some, (it’s just made it very hectic at work). There are still a few without power which makes it 6 plus days and we have several storms coming our way this weekend! Tim – sorry to hear about your problems with pool running, I had to do it for a couple of weeks last year and didn’t really care for it although it did keep me fit I guess. Hang in there bud. Wednesday’s run – 1 mile warm up, 8 x .5 mile Intervals w/1:30 recovery jogs, 1 mile cool down. 7.05 miles - 52:45 (7:29) 8:32 - 3:18 - 3:15 - 3:12 - 3:08 - 3:06 - 3:03 - 2:52 - 2:41 - 9:08 - I was beat after this one! I’m off to Auburn for a conference involving the users and the vendor of the RMS & CAD software that we use at work.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Warm & hoomid this morning 58F..tThere was a heavy fog/mist this morning when I started out with my headlamp at 6 AM...the light was bouncing back into my eyes and I almost ditched my run. 10.10 miles of hills @ 9:00 pace, it turned out to be a nice run after all. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Work is still keeping me too busy to really post here. Not much point as my hamstring was not recovering as it should have been while I was running so it has been back to non-running since last Saturday. Not in biketm's league but still after my recent three week layoff which came right after a two week lay off . . . sigh. Anyway, I am posting today because I saw biketm's lament on yesterday's thread. biketm I am not a big fan of swimming. Pool running? Never! I do not even own a bike let alone have one in the kind of shape needed for real training. During my three months off from running I did some weights and that was it. Look at it this way, 99% of the population does little more each day than walk to and from their cars: year after year! You can handle a three month layoff from running. Basically, the choice comes down to running now and risking long term injury or temporary frustration followed by returning to 100% health. Twice in my life I have given up a season of activity in exchange for the latter. I have never been sorry. We are all rooting for you Tim but ultimately it is up to you. Please take care of yourself. Let your body heal. Alas, being athletic means living with occasional injuries and then recovering. It goes with the territory. Look at it this way, those that sit all day during their life never get injured. Instead they just deteriorate and end their days early while gasping for breath and crippled. I will take our trade over theirs any day. My guess is that anybody posting here feels the same way! Smile

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

I'm always so impressed and humbled by those of you running in really bad weather, through family and work issues, struggling with injuries, etc. etc. Reminds me to be grateful for my health, happiness, and decent weather. I did 8.3 miles (8:21 pace) on a hilly route I haven't done in a while. They're building yet more homes in this particular subdivision so there was a lot of heavy equipment to avoid. You may have heard about a little thing called the housing crisis but around here the building just continues. ETA: I meant to say, the tale by TomS yesterday was a classic. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Tom - I always say when your only tool is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. mainerunner - those are some fast 1/2 mile repeats! Tim, TwoCat and others -- I can't wait until I have more time in my life to try my hand at swimming. I never was an endurance swimmer, but then again I never was an endurance runner until three or so years ago, so it can be done. I tried running by feel again today, and had a slightly better outing -- only about 10 seconds/mile too fast this time. I did look at the garmin after each of the first three miles, but after that just went with it. I think this is going to be my drill for the Thursday "general aerobic" runs a la Pfitzinger. 9.2 miles, 1:16, 8:15/mile, AHR 149 Good runs, all.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

lamerunner

Good morning. Tim, sorry about the non-swimming. You might give the elliptical a try; I am not sure it is great for achilles, but if you stretch well before and after it may be ok. Just don't start with 2-3 hours! I can related to your frustration. I got the MRI results; there are issues. No herniated discs so I don't need surgery, but a couple of bulging and dried out discs ( between L 3-4 and L4-5) and degenerative arthritic changes, inflamed nerve. It has probably been going on for a while. The PA I met with does not think it is related to my RA but I have to wonder. I am almost 48, I think a bit young for the types of things on the MRI. I am grateful i do not need surgery but very frustrated and discouraged by what loks like a long term problem. I am going to try epidural steroid injections but the docs had not "opened" their January schedules so my first appt is in February. Once a month for three months. It may work or it may not,may work for three weeks for three years. I would think based on the inflammation that a steroid injection would help, but who knows. In theory I can run as pain permits but it has not permitted much lately. I don't like the idea of waiting 6 more weeks for any relief. My lower back hurts most of the time. Sitting, driving and running bring on the scatic symptoms. ....I think it is a safe bet that Boston is out. I can do the elliptical and bike, though some bike seats are a problem. Swimming too. The absence of running in the morning though means I have much less time later; it is hard to do multiple things in a Y workout at lunch without being gone an absurd amount of time. Happy running to those who can and hugs to the injured.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thank you lamalina for such a heartfelt, supportive post for timmi, . . . and others who love running but can't. Maybe timmi can post what twocat said on the refrigerator or make a forearm tattoo. When you get so depressed, think of him and lovalina and others like divechief who have endured extended nonrunning for the sake of the fullest possible recovery they ultimately earned. It's your choice whether you want to come out here and run the Rock'n'Roll as you have vowed, . . . or come out here and walk it. You'll have company with you either way but only you can decide if it's the fast goddesses to run with or being way back with the strollers and recreational walkers in the company of someone who will never let you forget why you aren't up there running. Although I really appreciate having another poster who is not only doing that much winter running like my predilections this time of year (let alone no running at all), I'd give anything to switch feet with you for a couple of months and make sure there's no chance of makin' 'em run and risk the full recovery you deserve. Non-running is no big deal when it;s for the sake of the rest of your running life (starting with the RnR if not sooner) so don't sweat it, don't risk it. sorry. \===================/ otherwise, with all the cold, powdery snow that was forecast for yesterday finally falling all over the Pacific Northwest, it will be a great day for francesca and enke to bundle up like going up Mt. Everest and test out a little of what the Bridle Trails Survival Festival will be like in January. Wait until it's dark and as cold as possible though. Big grinBig grinBig grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Renee the dog

Got my 3 mi in last night. Remembered how much I like running at night in Dec. to look at the houses and will try to get Mr Nono to watch the kids again tonight so I can do another part of town with Renee and get the miles in. Update on my mother is that she's doing pretty well, though the doc went over the DNR with my sister last night. The nursing home got spooked 'cause she fainted 3x and then was not answering their questions. We're still well within the 1 yr "watch time" post stroke, so she gave the nurses quite a scare. Now, it just jeopardizes all the Christmas plans we have...and time is getting short with her possibly. Quite frustrating. The Acme (had to mention it by name for srlopez) pulled my patuky out of the fire this morning when I went food shopping and did up a really cute cake in a 1/2 hr for son's 2nd birthday party tonight. Guess I should start my run a little before dark tonight if I want to be showered and presentable by the time guests arrive at 7:30...brain is definitely not firing on all cylinders. Gotta go vacuum out the cars and possibly wash them and the dog (since it's going to rain tomorrow and Sat. when MIL arrives). Good runs and good healing to all who need it!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning All!!! Lots of snow out here, may be 8"...?We are wondering if we'll make it to work....anyway running in the snow was my first thought this morning.....that will be fun ,no matter what... I don't think I'll make it to Bridle Trails today , Jon, but our road in the wood , up and down many times, will do just fine..... Francesca

Marathon Maniac #957

being athletic means living with occasional injuries and then recovering. It goes with the territory. Look at it this way, those that sit all day during their life never get injured. Instead they just deteriorate and end their days early while gasping for breath and crippled. I will take our trade over theirs any day. My guess is that anybody posting here feels the same way! Smile
                          Well said!
                          I can't wait until I have more time in my life to try my hand at swimming. I never was an endurance swimmer, but then again I never was an endurance runner until three or so years ago, so it can be done.
                          Me, too! Thanks for the reminder that it’s never too late to take on something new.
                          I'd give anything to switch feet with you for a couple of months and make sure there's no chance of makin' 'em run and risk the full recovery you deserve.
                          You are such a sweetie, Tet....Smile {{{Lamerunner}}} {{{Tim}}} {{{Dg}}} {{{NoNo and family}}} {{{anyone else who needs a hug}}} (Boy am I just full of love today or what?...Smile ) 5.2 recovery miles for me today in 28 degrees (ave pace 10:33). Sidewalks and driveways are treacherous with ice, but the roads by and large were nice and dry. Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I had a BEAUTIFUL run this morning. 5.9 miles on snow-covered streets. 18 degrees, partly sunny, calm. Absolutely perfect! I love Maine on days like this. Smile
                              Maine, thanks for the info on the Town of York! It obviously was a long time ago when my mother lived there and I am supposing at the time York Beach was its own town. Maine is lovely in the summer, but I don't know if I could handle the winters! Those were some very fast half mile repeats, especially that last one! I must have missed Tim's post last night. I will have to go back and check it, but I take it there is more time off in store for you Tim and you are looking at potentially not doing anything for a period of time. I think that everyone is right when they say that some time off now will pay dividends down the road. I know how hard it is to actually take that advice, though. Lame, sorry to hear about the back troubles. I don't know if it's common or not in folks your age but my dh is about the same age and has similar problems with his back. He turns 48 in June and has been dealing with back pain for over 8 years now. I am sure in his case it was exacerbated by holding several physical jobs, but he has been told that it is partially genetic. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that he has been getting the epidural shots for several years now and they help immensely. He gets them only every six months or so now and it's enough to keep him pretty pain free along with doing yoga and stretching. I am sure the epidural shots will help. Hopefully you will be back running soon after you get started with them. Nono, sending positive vibes your way. I hope your mother recovers and you have a nice holiday in spite of her health issues. Today was supposed to be an 8 mile GA run. I never really know what GA is supposed to be but I suspect this was a little on the fast side for GA - 1:00:55 or 7:37 avg pace. The weather was nice for running - 52 degrees, overcast and breezy but not terribly windy. I need to go take a look at MacMillan and figure out what paces I should be running. I think I can use a 5K I ran in early November as a baseline to figure it out. Anyway, one week to Christmas everyone. Are you ready?

Once a runner . . .

Snowing! (Not the 8" Franc has) No school! I think even DH realizes it will be too messy to drive into work. Which means, maybe I can do a snow run...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."