Masters Running

Friday April 1, #4 (Read 34 times)

fatozzig I am so happy mice cannot communicate with each other! That story of yours was hysterical! I read the whole thing to my DW.

tomwhite put the remote down and stop watching Monty Python movies.

enkephalin I am just a softie what can I say. Interesting your DD has to run a mile with you for missing gym. Clever, whoever thought that up. It gets your DD to run and to spend some time with mom too. Nice.

AamosY you win the bet. No, DW is not allergic to cats. She is just stopping us from getting one because she says some of our friends are allergic. True. I am all in favor of getting a cat, mice or no mice.

stumpy77 if they just depart on their own that is fine. In the meantime I am just helping them along. 

tselbs no running is tough, but less tough than injured.

deez4boyz 0.3 miles on the TM, that is taking these mileage goals really seriously! Congratulations on getting into the Marine Corps Marathon! Good luck with your training.

evanflein my DW is complaining about the exact same heel pain. Any idea as to what it was in the shoe that was causing it? Note to AamosY okay, I cannot spell my way out of a paper bag. 

Mike E your dad's joke is pretty funny. At least the first time . . .  Nice run as always. About the guy doing the patching, cats or my $20 trap might be cheaper.

Mariposai if the mice turn into steaks that will be farming! This is just mousing and I want to run out of the critters! 

SteveP too bad about getting another boss promoted. From all you have said, you really should be bumped up yourself. Bunny ears or no bunny ears.

I somehow threw my back out yesterday so today I decided to just do some light gym work. Prior to that however this little friend of mine went for a trip with me to the local Christmas tree farm. Little friend will not be lonely because there are three other such friends to join. I will say, this is the cutest of the bunch so far. The trap is reset and I am really hoping there are no more friends to catch. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ready to go into the the mouse ranching business?  Have to be careful lifting those full traps, though.

First humid run of the season.  3.8 slow, windy miles at 62°.  For some unknown reason, i got out a long sleeve shirt for this morning.  I had the sleeves pulled up by the time I finished my warmup walk and was all the out of it at 2 miles.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Its a big day:

- Cindy's birthday
        - Would have been my mother's birthday
        - The new client on Long Island that has been killing me with stress for the last 15 months goes live today. I expect things to be quiet and gradually build to new record stress levels over the coming month. Then in a few months, if I am still standing, things will probably calm back down. I was going to go up there next week, but it has been delayed until the following week.

I worked a while and then ran 3 miles. I started and ended at the same spot, but the Garmin was way off today. (https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1107295932)

I keep thinking I have reached the bottom of my fitness slide only to continue getting heavier and slower. This time, I believe I have reached full marshmallow status and there is no way but up. I may finally start trying to get better.

I have a 5k tomorrow which will probably rank in the bottom 2 or 3 ever for me, but I am prepaid so I will go, get the shirt, and waddle it out.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

So while we're waiting to hear on whether Holly got in some networking (superb idea, E), I feel moved to reshare my chipmunk story.

When I lived in a hilltown in MA, I had 4 indoor cats.  And an Audubon (squirrel proof!) bird feeder outside that the jays loved.  Jays are messy eaters so lots of seed spilled to the ground.  Chipmunks loved the seed.  One day, the most cherubic cat, Sam, a black and white long hair, snuck outside when I opened door and made a beeline for a chipmunk.  To the astonishment of all three of us, he caught it.   I had leaped after Sam, simultaneously clutching him around his middle just as he got his mouth on the critter.   Wanting to put Sam back inside sans critter, I of course started (gently) shaking him.  The critter, probably the most startled, opened its mouth such that bird seed spewed all over the deck in arcs.  Sam was reluctant to let go of his new friend, so several arcs appeared, but eventually did and the chipmunk sped away to live another day.   I can only imagine what it would have looked like to an observer.

Hope the heel pain heals up there...youse guys kill me.

I think stumpy has a point.  Those are cute critters.  You could probably market them, you know, it you knew something about marketing and economics, that is.

Watertown 5K is 2 weeks from Sunday.  May have to taper after the Reston Marathon.

Just some slow runs last night and this am.  We stayed up last night because we have a race Saturday we have to get up early for, so last night was kinda Friday night, except we're working today, but that's good as we'll be sleepy tonight and go to bed early.  See, there's a sort of logic in it.  Speaking of work, I'd best get back to it, break is over!

Why do pop singers today sing the word me, which has a long e sound, as if it was "mae" is my question of the day.

grins,

A

Hiya Dave!  Good day to renew or make a new resolution.  Happy Birthday to Cindy!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

Maybe SteveP needs to take out an ISO ad for Alfred Pennyworth to be his new boss. Or just BE the boss Steve. . . wasn't  there once a black stallion poster, or maybe it was a darkhorse poster, with the infamous line "No one's the boss of me!"  

ezpz 2.3 mile trail run last night with B&B and Annie joined us for a quick little 1/2 mile before she knew her limit and went home.

anyone do any good April Fools pranks? Or have any played on you this morning?

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

anyone do any good April Fools pranks? Or have any played on you this morning?

No...I don't like April Fools pranks...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

SQUIRRELS.
                When trapping a family of red squirrels around the house back in those days

and taking one of them to a park six miles away, the same squirrel was back within a week. see ps.
                They got their revenge though as, before chewing through the big plastic garbage container

I was holding one of ‘em in, I got bit and had to get an update on my tetanus shots.
                RUNNING - 2mi @ 33 degrees. (6:00 a.m.)
                At the risk of anyone thinking it’s an April Fool’s joke, having returned to GS-land for an afternoon meeting today and weekend of GS fun, I took DD's car the five minutes down to the lake at 6:00 a.m. and ran the mile down to Mary’s Falls and back with the rising sun painting the surrounding snow-covered peaks in alpine pink. One more round tripper tomorrow’ll equal all of last month’s mileage.
                ps re identifying squirrels - someone had painted a red dab on the culprit’s tail.

No...I don't like April Fools pranks...

me neither

However, I really don't like double negatives.

None of last week’s billy goats on the lower slopes this time but, when I got back to the house a little before 7:00 a.m., I told 6-yo GS that I not only got chased by a big Bigfoot that came out from under the waterfall but that I lost DD’s car keys when I was escaping. Correctly predicting DD’s reaction, but not before she became slightly unglued, I quickly showed her I still had the keys. GS and I’re going back to look for the Bigfoot tracks after school. I wonder if he’ll tell his class at show-and-tell time today.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

The mice at my cabin are not nearly as cute as Twocat's.  They are smaller and greyish, and well, dead.  Twocat, those look like some kind of deer mice with the big eyes.

Here's a critter story.  My cat used to chase squirrels.  One day I was watching it chase a squirrel across the road.  In the middle of the road, both animals suddenly stopped, then the squirrel turned around and started chasing after my cat, who promptly ran away.  Way to go, squirrel!

4.2 miles, 52 F, clear cloudless morning, sun rising, zero wind, absolutely IRC!!!   It was one of those awesome runs - I wore new shoes and my feet were so grateful!  I felt faster and more graceful than 2 days ago.  My breathing felt super easy.  Good songs came on my iPOD.  There was not one peep out of my knee!!!  I was very thankful for today's run, very thankful.  In shorts too. Lovely. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BTY, "Hi".  Dave, happy birthday to Cindy.  Mike, nice long run.

I'm feeling good about the operation on my second eye.  I can see as well with it after 3 days as I can with the other eye after 7 weeks.  Even though I probably shouldn't have, I've driven the mile to town a couple times to get the paper and have coffee with my buddies..  I got some cheap drugstore reading glasses and can read  and do my crossword puzzles.  I'll keep posting my walks for my own motivation.  This morning, I walked 3 miles at a 12:53 pace ( I don't know where that came from) and 2 miles this afternoon at a 13:50 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

That's pretty speedy walking Tom!

Holly, I hope you are having a nice break from the usual stressors in your life.

Today I walked into the other office at work, and there was a box of Top Pot donuts on the lunch counter.   I thought, great!  I am in just the mood for a donut, and those are the best ones!  It's Friday so I will treat myself.  I opened the box to find a veggie tray and a rubber snake.  Nice prank!  The disappointment was pretty real.  Then my boss came into work and I told her someone had brought donuts in this morning, and we walked over to the other office..... she didn't find this funny...in fact, she didn't get that it was joke until I said, you know, it's April's fools day!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

I am loving the critter stories and pictures!

Back home and unpacking, laundering, etc.  It was a nice getaway, and I learned a bit, but it is difficult to remain seated for most of two days.  Of course, the clean dishes from the load I ran Wednesday evening are still in the dishwasher, and the sink stacked with dirty dishes. No surprise there....

5 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I am loving the critter stories and pictures!

Back home and unpacking, laundering, etc.  It was a nice getaway, and I learned a bit, but it is difficult to remain seated for most of two days.  Of course, the clean dishes from the load I ran Wednesday evening are still in the dishwasher, and the sink stacked with dirty dishes. No surprise there....

5 miles for me this morning on the TM.

That is a shame that no one did the dishes, Holly. You just do too much for everyone. Hugs to you during this difficult time. At least you had a couple of days away though. I am looking forward to meeting you in G Bay! We just talked about camping near GB and decided to get a hotel after all.

I love the pictures of the critters, 2cat! Funny stories from others too.

Enke, don't you wish you could bottle up runs like that? Very nice, oh, what kind of she's did you get?

Tselbs, I think you are in fantastic shape to walk that speedy!

MrStarr and I are on our way to the cities for a one day conference tomorrow. Will get to see half of the GKids tonight but will drive home after 4:30 Saturday. Getting old makes us want to sleep in our own bed. Also, I had to work at 7am so did not have a chance to run at all. I did my interval training; 7 x 400's with 2:00 rest last night before Orchestra practice. It gets a bit complicated to follow a training plan but I really try to always do my long run. I have 8 miles on deck for Sunday so will be glad to get home before then.

have a Greta weekend all an fleet feet to MikeE and all the others racing.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich