Masters Running

Sunday Feb. 15 Runs and Workouts ... (Read 488 times)

This morning was my longest run since Eugene last May. 18 miles at 8:39 min/mile pace (2 hours 35 minutes). Never walked a step or took a water break. (Took water with me and drank it on the run). Like last week, the last 6 miles were all sub-MP. Felt good throughout, though the last mile or two was getting hard. I hope I'm not running these MLRs and LRs too fast. I don't want to peak too early. But this pace is grooved right now. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Nice run Bill, but you took no water? Or you mean you grabbed some water but didn't stop? Well done! Headed off to the lake for ten or so, in perfectly normal running clothing. Spareribs
        WTG Bill! Spareribs...you need to come to Huntsville to show them a thing or two. Yesterday, while I was at an athletic store buying flippers, in came a guy in a red dress, just to visit, while his team meandered up the hill outside. I peeked out and they were all just walking along, looking like a group of escaped convicts who stole some red clothes from someone. After the visitor left to rejoin his team, I asked the owner why they weren't running, he tried to explain to me...some term I'd never heard, and all the rules that go with it...too complicated. Anyway, they were not going to win American's Next top crossdresser! I did a measly 4.4 this morning, after yesterday's 11.4. Legs are tiiiiiired! Off to Tunica to have some fun!

Hill Runner

Good morning folks! Bill, that's a great run this morning. Absolutely gorgeous day here when I finished...it's sunny & 42F...perfect running weather. 20.06 miles of hills @ 9:17 pace, I stopped once for water and a strawberry/banana GU Smile ...20 miles of hills are never easy but I feel pretty good considering..... 9 Weeks 'til Boston ! Good runnin' everyone!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

9 Weeks 'til Boston ! Yikes! 12 miles at 10:30 pace. I had a couple speedy runs this week, and I guess they caught up with me today. That makes 45.2 miles for the week. At this point, I'm alternating medium-long (12 mi) Sundays with long Sundays (18-20). That seems to work well for me in terms of balancing mileage with injury risk. It is gorgeous here today too. The sunshine glinted brightly off of the light dusting of snow we received yesterday.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Not much to report. Just stalling before I get down to doing some work. My DW went off for her morning run and is now heading off to the gym. dg. I hope your many ailments are all minor and that they can heal without any medical assistance.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Nice running Byll, Peter, and Harriet! Great runs yesterday, too. Kudos to Ribs for not only being willing to dress up like that for a good cause but for then posting pictures for the rest of us! A classic. 35F with a good stiff breeze by the water. Shorts were okay, but I needed a hat and gloves. Nice and sunny, though. I did a 20.2 mile “go-with-the-flow” run with no specific pace goal but trying to push a bit. I ended up with a Garmin pace of 7:51. Ironically, adjusted for the real world that’s about a 7:56 pace; almost exactly my goal MP! I can’t do anything above 15 miles without stopping to refill a couple of my water bottles. I try to make it snappy though. I gave up using gels on LRs this cycle and I seem to have adjusted fine.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good to see you folks out and running. We had DD's 10th birthday yesterday, where I overdid the pizza and ice cream cake. Sluggish-feeling 15.2 miles, 2800' of elevation gain (hillier than I thought), 8:57's. Nice run, Tramps.
                    11@7:58 then a nice 1 mile cooldown walk
                    Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice long runs! very nice Bill, Tramps, Peter.. Tramps..20 mile MP run? You might want to save something for the actual marathon!.. really... please be careful! 15 miles of trails (rails-to trails) including a half mile of stepping over trees felled on the path to keep you out only to reach a river with no way across...meh. last 6 miles averaged 8:01 pace. Overall 2:12:32 (8:50 pace) Th "tree mile" was 13 min pace!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Beautiful day here, too -- a bit cooler than NC, though. 13.2 miles, 1:55:42, 8:48/mi, AHR 141 (?!?) (71% mhr) miles@pace(HR) 5@9:16(136), 3@8:51(137), 5@8:18(149) MTA: wow, Tramps! But I have to agree with Steve on this one...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Hill Runner

Ugggh! ....had to take a break from my painting project Steve, I took your suggestion about those little round band-aids from CVS...no more red stripes going down my shirt on the LR's...Big grin

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Peter - I just use body glide. Just sayin'...

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

King of PhotoShop

Well done Peter and Tramps on the LR's. I like PDR's idea also of having a long run one weekend, followed by a medium LR the next weekend. You get a bit more recovery protection. When I was much younger I could run a 20 every week but it would be dangerous to do as a Master, and especially not at my age. The Saint and I went out to the lake and did 11, and although it was a slow pace, we agreed to keep it that way early on, and so the run was pretty comfortable, and my longest LR so far. For Valentine's Day I wowed them with delmonico steaks and lobster tails, but today they'll get chicken sausages and pasta. Anybody have the day off tomorrow? Enjoy the weekend. Spareribs
                              Tramps

Tramps..20 mile MP run? ... please be careful!
                                Thanks for your (and Lou's) concern but I don’t think it was necessarily stupid; here’s why: It was a nice cool day, which makes a big difference for me. This was not my hilly route; just a modest 900-ft elevation change (900 up/900 down) so hills weren’t really an issue. I was running "by feel” without a time goal and with good music on (read: relaxed) so the miles were just clicking by. I never felt like I needed to dig deep to keep going or anything like that; just comfortably hard at times. Also, I was careful to start off with two slower miles and made myself slow down a bit for the last few miles when I realized I was well under MP (7:47 after 15). So, it was just an "on" day and I took advantage of it. Besides, CNY does MP LR's (intentionally) and when I grow up I wanna run like CNY. Big grin ETA: Happy birthday, Perch! I was lurking around and...

Be safe. Be kind.