Masters Running

Wednesday 1/29/14 Chilly Runs (Read 35 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Where's Jay?

(-3) this morning is warmer, but not warm enough to get me outside.

6 miles on the TM.

Anyone else here love Sherlock?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Anyone else here love Sherlock?

Yes, My DH and I really enjoy the program.

4 snowy miles for me today. You know the type of fresh snow that feels like flour under your feet? Yeahhh we finally got some snow in the valley! It was about time.

Hi taperboy! Welcome back from Japan and thanks for the cute cards. You are the best!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I wish Sherlock wasn't two hours. It follows an hour of Downton Abbey and I can take only so much of people talking with marbles in their mouth. Every time we watch a BBC show the Saint and I find each other saying, "What did he say?" about every two minutes.

C-R asked (I think) why would Switzer cause a rant? Here is the issue. She was supposedly the "first" female to run Boston, but she wasn't. She holds the world record for having milked this non-event into the most publicity ever, and has a website on it, gives talks around the country about it. Some of the old "purists" took exception to the Switzer mystique and pseudo claim to fame.  I'm going to talk about this on the post where I show the answers.

2.4 brrrr miles at SBUH pace, as we couldn't wait to get out of the cold, low 20's here which is tough for us Texans.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

I wish Sherlock wasn't two hours. It follows an hour of Downton Abbey and I can take only so much of people talking with marbles in their mouth. Every time we watch a BBC show the Saint and I find each other saying, "What did he say?" about every two minutes.

I always watch these shows, and other favorites from the BBC channel, with subtitles on.  Saves me constantly rewinding to try to understand what they said.  Also, I always DVR them, usually watching them in parts, like last night, when we watched the first half of Sherlock and will watch the other half tonight.  I seldom have two hours available to watch TV on a weeknight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Haven't seen Sherlock, but Cindy likes it and DVR's it.  I just haven't felt like spending the time on it but I'm sure I'd like it.  (Not that I am all that busy.)  How bad is it when someone is too lazy to watch TV?

I was up late doing a somewhat major software install.  And then up early to watch things and answer any questions that came up.  Everything is going smoothly.  I am in a bragging mood because this project was a big deal, but as soon as I open my mouth, there will be a big problem.  Pride does indeed come before a fall.  So my mouth is shut.

I finally got out for a 3-mile run around 11:00.  It was up to 17° by then but kind of windy.  I froze on the sections into the wind, but sweated like crazy going the other way.

3 miles seemed so far.  I don't know how I am going to 13.1 on Sunday.  I feel like I'm not prepared at all, but I did all the workouts I wanted to do so I should be able to finish the thing.

janie b good

4.63 t-mill miles (3 @ tempo)

I mainly watch sports on tv-- not much else.  looking forward to the super bowl!

ETA:  I ordered my first running skirt.  I'm so late to the game-- they're probably out of style now.  I'm going to a conference in FL with hubby and I wanted to look semi-stylish (as opposed to the raggedy old gym shorts I normally wear around town).

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

...seems like

jay told me he was gonna catch up on the last 25-YEARS of getting up a 4-AM....

=======

..but I digress.......

...33mprnb

with steps

...............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

SHERLOCK - since I rarely, if ever, watch tv anymore (at least until the Olympics in February or unless they get some running programs like they regularly have in Japan instead of all the cooking ones on cupcakes, breakfast, etc. over here), our weekly dose of sherlock in Seattle is on a 30 minute oldies radio program.  Just like baseball being interesting even if it's a Little League game I happen onto somewhere without even knowing any of the players, the Sunday morning kid's 5K fun runs from around Japan in those days captured my undivided attention and, like the Boston Marathon over here nowadays, the running strategies of the elite pack in over two hours of all the marathons they'd broadcast over there kept me glued to the tv even more than a good football game, . . .except for maybe this weekend.

SWITZER - as the first female to have guts enough to submit an official entry, albeit as K. Switzer because, in part, since everyone misspelled her first name anyway, I can hardly wait to meet Kathrine at the April 5 Yakima River Canyon Marathon annual reunion of the North America 100 Marathon Club.

WINTER - however, as a lifelong skier long before I became a supposed runner, I'm with wildchild about loving winter.  Nevertheless, I'm with Holly and others that anything under 0-degrees F, if not 10-15 degrees F, is beyond winter.  brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

It's sort of quiet today.  I got in 5 miles on the TM at an 11:06 pace this morning.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

C-R

Yeah that was me Ribs. There was someone that pre-dated her? Had no idea. Do tell as I am always a big fan of history.

Haven't watched Sherlock (might now) but I am a huge fan of Justified. It's a bit rough but having spent my HS days in the deep South around mountain folk, I can relate some.

6.3 hill workout today. DW and I are going to a special Downtown Abbey program tonight at the performing arts center. Should be a fund date.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Is it a new "Sherlock"?  We watched a Sherlock series years ago, and I can't think of the name of the actor who played the part.  Dark hair, skinny, kinda sickly looking.  We really enjoyed it.  The only show right now for which we both are impatiently awaiting the new season is "Doc Martin."

7 miles yesterday, and today 45 min of strength/core training.  We actually got some rain!  Yea!!! Not enough to make a difference to anything except people's yards, but at least it's something.  Humboldt isn't in as bad of shape as a lot of other CA counties, but we're still being asked to conserve water.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Is it a new "Sherlock"?  We watched a Sherlock series years ago, and I can't think of the name of the actor who played the part.  Dark hair, skinny, kinda sickly looking.  We really enjoyed it. 

Benedict Cumberbatch.  He was also the arch-villain in the recent Star Trek Into Darkness movie (which btw I highly recommend - a very good action flick even if you are not a Trekkie), as well as The Fifth Estate and he is the voice of Smaug the dragon in the new Hobbit trilogy.  However, I think Martin Freeman is almost the better character in Sherlock.

And yes, we just watched the 2nd new episode of Sherlock in the current Masterpiece Mystery series, love it!

NHLA

Ribs  another woman predated her but she did did not register and what difference does that make. Columbus didn't discover america. The asshole was the race director that tried to tear off her arm. She caused change.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I did 13 more miles on that dang treadmill...10 were at 6:50 pace...now, the blisters that I already had on my toes have blisters.  I have got to get outside.

Okay--I'm done.  See ya!

Not sure what got into me, but I did 10 miles on the TM.  Slowly, but still.  My metatarsal pain, Achilles pain, calf pain that I was having for the past 3 years seems to have wandered into the sunset, and I couldn't be happier.  Of course now I have a bit of PF and knee pain, but nothing that is shutting me down like those others.

One of my greatest pleasures is putting on clean socks after a shower.  Just feels so good ya know?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."