Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 4.14.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Long Island is always an adventure, Dave.

And it sounds like travel with TW and Crazy Brother will be quite the adventure too. But I hope there won't be any full body casts involved, even if it means giving up preferred airplane seating. Strange reading in Pharmacy Times - maybe I should get a prescription subscription.

Aamos, if I'm going to be stalked, I'd prefer it by by one of the many RA goddesses (I know - won't happen). I'll be happy to race and work with your DH on Sunday, and we'll see what happens. Thanks for the amazing FB tale, and the thinking behind DH's choice of Chevy for the medal. As Stumpy said, some thinking went into that.

Leslie, if anyone gives you a hard time with the new work at work, just remind them of how much extra you are getting paid to take it all on. Good for Shorty for delivering the mush. And thanks for the reminder about how exercise keeps us out of jail.

While I admire you for your "No long pants for running in April" rule, Stumpy, I won't be taking that on. There are still too many chilly mornings, and wearing short pants won't make it otherwise.

Nice in and out runs and walks, Tselbes.

I'll try to exercise more control with thread names, Twocat, although today's is a bit too straight-forward and un-thought-provoking. I try to answer, file, or trash every email as they come to my inbox. I fail spectacularly, but at least once or twice a month or so, I get the inbox down to a dozen or so emails.

It's nice that being a retiree with an office comes with so little responsibilities, Tet.

Happy belated birthday, Mr. Starr!

There's a Superhero 5K this Saturday. Our oldest grandson called and asked if we could enter...He didn't have to ask twice. He said he'd dress like Robin if I had anything Batman to wear. I told him that I'd check.

Get back to us on that Batman stuff, will you Steve? 

6.2 easy RW miles this morning, except for mile 4 when I saw a runner up ahead with a blinky thing on the back of his head and so I had to see if I could catch him, which I didn't before he turned off, but it was fun trying. Does someone ahead of us always and automatically become a rabbit? DW is leaving this morning for a trade conference in Chicago, and will be back on Sunday. A lot of her good buddies will be there, so she'll have a good time, as well as get some business done. The cat has been left behind to keep an eye on me, and that's a big job!

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

The ball of my left foot has been a little tender this week, so I am taking it easy on it and it seems to be getting better.

A quick story from Sunday's marathon:  Around mile #21 I encountered a young woman who was walking and I stopped to walk with her for a bit (I was taking a lot of walk breaks at that point anyway).  She told me it was her first marathon, and she was struggling a bit, worried that she would not make the cutoff.  I assured her that there was plenty of time, and that she would have no problem finishing even if she walked the rest of the way.  We chatted a few minutes and then I started running shuffling again and went on ahead.  At the end, after I got a bottle of water, I walked back to the finish line to wait for her.  This is such a small race, and that late in the day there were very few spectators left, and I wanted to make sure there was a little noise at the end for her.  So when I saw her coming in the distance, I called out to the remaining folks at the finish, "FIRST TIME MARATHONER COMING IN, FOLKS!  FIRST TIME MARATHONER!"  So we started hooting and hollering for her and she gave me a high five as she went by, and a couple of her friends ran in the last bit with her.  I know it was partly because I was so tired, but I admit I got a little misty for her, proud of her triumph at making it to the finish.  I know you folks here will understand.

3 slow and gentle miles for me this morning on the TM

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

That's a great story Holly. I love making connections like that with people at races. You helped make her first marathon even more memorable.

The plan was a nice long run after work yesterday while David finished up practice. Well, right about the time I got there, the wind started picking up like crazy.  Tennis practice ended early because this was like tornado whipping winds. A few times on the drive home it was hard to control my car. insane wind! We lost power about 30 minutes after getting home and still don't have it back yet. Fortunately, we have a generator, so were at least able to power up the panini maker and make some quesadillas for dinner (well, for the guys - there were only 4 tortillas left, so I had a bowl of cereal), have a lamp on and watch the Warriors game.   But my super duper quick shower this morning in the dark was not real refreshing. Living on a well, we know w/o power, our well won't run for long, so showers are In N Out!

No run today either. Parent meeting after work to drop off the 1K deposit for David's Atlanta trip.  Thank goodness for grandma and grandpa!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

That's nice holly; it'll be good practice for Portland.

Another pathetically, ploddingly pitiful and somewhat chilly (46-degrees) but otherwise delightful five morning ‘muting miles towards the sunlit Olympic Mountains across Puget Sound that are frequently shaded by the marine layer of coastal clouds which, for some reason were missing from the western skies this morning and, instead, blanketing the expected warmth from the rising sun over the Cascades in the east. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Holly - that's what it is all about!

tet - I will keep a look out for you as Gigi and I ride the metro across the MI floating bridge every morning shortly after 8.  I get off at Rainier (aka the meth mart) and cycle up Hiawatha place to Dearborn, then up to 12th to Cap Hill.  I see lots of cyclists doing the commute on the bridge and a few runners.  Today was especially picturesque as you mentioned.

Dear Tet - STP is 204 miles, not 112.  MBE does it in one day, with his cycling team or group.  Takes them about 12 hours.  I can't imagine. I have no interest in that nonsense.  Yes he is doing it again this year and possibly even 150 mile Ramrod 10 days later - although that one he dislikes for the huge elevation gains/losses.

I woke up yesterday and this morning with a stiff neck, actually today it is better but I was tired and did not run.  Perhaps tonight?

Now to go read the Pharmacy Times....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Holly - Your story gave me goosebumps and even I got a little misty-eyed. 

Jay - When I'm gone and it's just The Hub and the cats, who knows what I'll return to.  And yes.  If someone is in front of you, they automatically become a rabbit.  It's the law.

Starr - Our church has a Celebrate Recovery Program, as well.  Shorty did a 9-month program, but only goes to it on rare occasions now.  He mostly attends AA meetings.  Happy Belated Birthday to Mr. Starr.

Tammy - How's the poison oak?  We got part of that storm here, as well.  The wind was howling by late afternoon, and then the rain started dumping around 7:00 p.m.  Glad they had the tree in the courtyard at work cut last week.  Not sure it could have held up under yesterday's wind conditions.

Because of the rain, I switched my days and did my core/ST this morning and will run tomorrow.  I just didn't feel like getting wet.  Re the core/ST - I vowed to myself that beginning next week I will start doing burpees. . . . . . I hate burpees . . . . but I know they're a fantastic workout . . . . it's going to take a lot for me to keep my vow . . . . 

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

....everybody hates burpees......

Great Story holly.....

==========

...bumping 70s here

4 1/2 hour trail hike..........http://tnstateparks.com/parks/about/standing-stone

couple of Hot Spots

on my poor bunions (can you say ''MoleSkin'')

also

this place

has FLESH EATING GNATS/////////

I was bleeding from 6-places on my face where they Bit me...........didn't know they could do that

(can you say

''Cutter Repellant"")

other than that A Good Time Was Had By All

..............good running guys......PoolRun tomorrow...ohboyohboy

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hi Friends,

6 miles of rolling hills and some trails for me this morning. My friends are trying to convince me trails will make me a stronger runner - I'm not quite sure what to think as I just try to stay on my feet!! Tomorrow going to get up early and run from Fenway to the marathon finish line before work - love getting a run like that in with all the excitement building!!

Jay - did you get your volunteer assignment? I will be Human Chains 2 so will be behind the elites and in front of Corral 1 runners - can't wait!!

Holly - that was so sweet of you!! Definitely made me misty eyed!

Stumpy - that no long pants in April rule would never work for me, but I have to admit I am getting more than a little tired of donning my winter apparel for these early morning runs!!

TwoCat  - my check is in the mail --- I'm sure you've never heard that line beforer

denise

Starr, happy birthday to your husband.  Holly, that's neat the way you encouraged and recognized the first time marathoner.

Today was a repeat of the recent ones except I ran my mile outside in 11:10.  My morning walk of 3 miles outside was at a 13:26 pace and my afternoon walk of 2 miles was at a 13:12 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

deez4boyz I figure you are good for it. The interest will cost ya however. Maybe a loaf of some new kind of booze bread! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi Amy--please check your message in case you don't look there often.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

That's a great story Holly. I love making connections like that with people at races. You helped make her first marathon even more memorable.

Tammy,Thank goodness you have a generator. We have a well also. Cute little well house and all. Last Monday, the pump went why DW was in the shower. When I opened up the top of the well house, there was a good deal of oil coating the inside. Seal failures are never good. Especially at circuses. As far as repairs go, this one was simple.

I want to run with Tet.

Deeze, trails rock. Gotta watch yer step. Roots have the right of way.

Though I try to have fun at work, I'm not too chatty, When people come into my office to shoot the breeze, I ignore them. If some one has something heavy, I listen and we converse. Other than that, let's kick butt and take names. A new coworker said that she knows I'm married, but.... I said, "Don't" and got back to work. Sigh. She's been with us tow or three weeks and I could not pick her out of a line up. When I left, I had 59.09 hours. I can't let a problem get past me before it gets to a customer. A home owner came in to pick up laminate for a counter top. I loaded it for them and said, "The more you spend, they happier we are". They said they were putting on an addition, so they may spend more. We had a quick chat. They left with a truck full of bargains and a lighter wallet. The lady told my boss that they just stopped in to pick up their laminate.

DW picked my tail out to the trial. When we got to the trial head, Tag was nearly out of control. At the half way point, he wantedto bring a stick back home.

Sadly, he gets that from my side of the family.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Seal failures are never good. Especially at circuses.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Though I try to have fun at work, I'm not too chatty, When people come into my office to shoot the breeze, I ignore them. If some one has something heavy, I listen and we converse. Other than that, let's kick butt and take names. A new coworker said that she knows I'm married, but.... I said, "Don't" and got back to work. Sigh. She's been with us tow or three weeks and I could not pick her out of a line up. When I left, I had 59.09 hours. I can't let a problem get past me before it gets to a customer. A home owner came in to pick up laminate for a counter top. I loaded it for them and said, "The more you spend, they happier we are". They said they were putting on an addition, so they may spend more. We had a quick chat. They left with a truck full of bargains and a lighter wallet. The lady told my boss that they just stopped in to pick up their laminate.

Steve - you are a great employee.  Watch out for that new coworker....