Masters Running

Tuesday First Day of 2008 (Read 665 times)

PJH

Wait a minute...she was taking the dogs for a walk while she followed behind them car? She never heard of putting them on leashes and WALKING behind them? That's about the laziest thing I've heard in a while... Smile
    Holly - reminds me of the movie 'Turner & Hooch' (1989). Tim - glad you found your voice in time. Btw Holly - my marathon was the Toronto Waterfront Marathon on Sept 30th. Lots of snow today so had to hit the treadmill which I did only twice all last winter. Est 9.0 miles @ 10:00 pace .... 90 mins. Thank goodness for the 'winter classic' hockey game from Buffalo. I was able to watch this while running. Growing up with a rink in my backyard, it brought back a lot of memories. Great spectacle. Of course, Crosby got the winner in a shootout. Erika - Pittsburg's goalie hails from Alaska so he knows what cold & snow is all about. PJ
      Hangover Classic 10k today at Salisbury Beach, Ma........chilly, windy, sometimes rain sometimes snow - lol BUT i met Marj and Henry ----- woooooooooohoooooooooo!!

denise

I did a 5 miler today and exceeded my expectations. I'm pleased. My Garmin hit 5 miles @ 33:58 but I wasn't at the finish line yet. I had been showing about 325 feet long since mile one. Anyway, I got 3rd in my AD and one of my local arch rivals was maybe 12-15 seconds ahead of me and he said he ran 34:22. I was fighting a bad cramp at the finish and didn't stop my watch. I probably ran 34:36-34:40. When the official results post, I'll fill you in. Regardless, anything below 36:00 would have pleased me and considering the hills, temps, and wind .... I'm real pleased with today's race.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

3 miles in 38 degree temps Just beat the cold rain that came in late morning(but no snow) First training run with my DW She is slow but what a trooper...esp. after seeing 2008 in Dead Here's to an injury free 2008 for all the Boomers out there Fran
          wildchild

Carolyn

I ran a carpy two miles with my two dogs, who seem to have forgotten how to heel - maybe that was their new years resolution? A chilly and breezy 22 degrees, and I wore my yaktrax, as my dirt road is snow packed. The dogs looked like they were slipping around. In keeping with all the dog comments today: I always run with mine on leashes. Oh, well, at least I got outside to run. The rec center is closed today, so I couldn't have wimped out and run inside. I'm off to Santa Fe tomorrow for a two day work meeting, so not sure if I'll get time to run or not. I believe Santa Fe has a nice river trail downtown that I'd like to check out. Happy 2008!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

New Year, new life!!!. I hope each one of you had a joyful time last night as you bid the old year good-bye and welcome the new one with laughter. I had a fantastic time this morning chatting with my family overseas. I just love those webcams. They are great for keeping in touch with loved ones. 8 miles in the snow today. My first run of the year was in 18F, cloudy weather. No wind, so I was able to run outside. I probably weight an extra 10 pounds with all my extra layers, but I sure felt cozy and warm Clowning around so I did not mind one bit looking like a hippo. The snow condition was good enough to turn this run into a farklet run. 2 w/u, 4 miles farklet and 2 miles c/d. This was a perfect way to start the New Year.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Fran! Glad you found us! You've been missed. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good 5 miler Ray Smile Hope you haven't hurt yourself. It seems lots of folks were running in the cold, wind and snow today You don't gotta like it but you gotta love it! Big grin I did informal race at a private residence through the neighborhood. No fees but a sponsor did provide shirts to all 39 runners. Everybody brings food for the post race meal in the garage. It was a time prediction challenge on a hilly course, 31 F 25-35 winds and snowed a half inch during the race. I predicted 28:00 but felt so good that I was way too fast the last mile and finished in 26:40. DW won Masters woman and got a new Porsche for the 9 straight year (matchbox) Wink Then lunch in a two car garage with 39 of your best running friends, Priceless Cool

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Good 5 miler Ray Smile Hope you haven't hurt yourself.
                    The pain was gone within 5 minutes of finishing and no pain since. I guess it was indeed, just a serious cramp, possibly due to the cold. I've ran in cold weather before with no issues but not quite this hard.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Happy New Year, happy runs or rest days to everyone!
                      The dog looked a bit like this...http://www.bulldoginformation.com/presa-mallorquin.html
                      Tim, that is a really NASTY looking dog breed. Wasn't one of those dogs responsible for killing a lady in San Francisco? I am glad you are ok. My workout today was running 3 easy miles around the block, which felt ok except I felt beat up and I shouldn't have...so I look at the soles of my shoes, which were very worn down (rubber worn off!). It seems like I just got these! Was it too much holiday food Sad? Mr. Dromedary reminds me I really increased my mileage this month plus I didn't have a second pair to rotate. After lunch, I got some new ASICS Gel Nimbus 9s. They feel really nice. I can't wait to run in them tomorrow! My second pair arrives in the mail on Thursday.
                      evanflein

Hi Fran! Was going to go ride my bike this afternoon... and still might... but DS1 and I spent an hour or so driving all around looking for the dog. Went to the animal shelter and filed a lost dog report, and verified that she wasn't there. Told a few more neighbors, and made a flier to post around the neighborhood. Not sure what else to do. Sad
                          Happy New Year, everyone! Made it home through O'Hare Sunday night. What an ordeal getting home. As much as I loved getting my snow fix and seeing family, it's good to be back in Seattle to "warmer" weather. heh. Stayed up a wee too late drinking a wee too much champagne, but still had a fun Resolution Run 5k with trip and dip add on. 5k splits were 6:54, 6:50 and 7:00, I think. Crossed the 3 mile mark at 20:46 but then headed into the water for the "trip and dip" option. It's not easy running into Lake Washington, dunking yourself and running back out I discovered. The initial shock does a number on you, then try to find your footing. Still managed a 22:13. Think I was 2nd women in my age group. The most fun was standing there soaking wet and watching and cheering on the other crazy runners after me. Saw Tetsujun, arf and Divechief and plenty of other runners I know. The event drew 1200 this year compared to 800 last year. Hung out for as long as we could stand it in the beer garden (they had some heat warmers set up). Even though I'd changed into dry clothes, my teeth were chattering by the time I headed to my car an hour or so post-race. Tetsujin bestowed up me a little polar bear for my decision to take the plunge in Lake Washington after all. What a sweetheart. Will join arf and Divechief for a Moroccan dinner tonight. I'm ready for 2008! P.S. Hey jules! You mentioned Daft Punk the other day. Coincidentally, I heard them for the first time on the radio this a.m.driving to the race. Song was Stronger, harder, Faster (?) Great stuff for right before a race.
                          TammyinGP

Went out for a 6.25 mile run in 1:03 this afternoon. The cool crisp air felt great!

Tammy

Fred.Just Fred

The Internut

I decided to take New Year's Day off from running. However, I went with my wife to the "Rotary Resolution Race" in Leesburg, which is a chip-based 10K and a "fun" 4K run/walk. She was going to support her friend, who has never run a race before, wants to lose weight and get in shape, and signed up for this run on my wife's recommendation. I liked the look of the event t-shirt, so on a whim, I signed up to walk the 4K. And walk it I did! I had on jeans, hiking boots, a sweatshirt and jacket, and so was in no way ready to run. But I had to hold myself back frequently, as I kept thinking to myself, "You know, you really could just jog a little..." But no, I managed to maintain my sanity, and crossed the finish line in the same brisk walk I had left it some 44 minutes earlier. So, even though I didn't run, and the distance won't be my first entry (or race) of the year, at least I didn't spend New Year's Day hung over and hating life like so many. It was a glorious, 48-50 degree sunny day, and the course was through parks and an equine treatment facility. It was a nice morning walk, and there was coffee and tasty refreshments waiting. A nice start to what I hope will be a happy, productive, injury-free 2008!

I'll have days when I don't think I can run a marathon. I'll have a lifetime to know that I did.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Took hung-over self down to the "Y" and jumped into their New Year's 8k run, a small, informal affair. I decided not to run this all-out. I have more important training to do. A clump of us all took off together, and I was in my first-ever lead pack. We talked and joked about off-gassing and toxin-dumping, and then got down to business. I got to practise tactics! I hid behind the tall men in the pack along the shoreline, where it was howling, and then, realizing that there was only one woman left in the group, dropped her on a hill. About four boys and I kept pelting down the way, rotating the lead, until we got to a nasty little 120' hill in my neighbourhood, where LeanOldGuy and I dropped the rest of the pack. As we rolled down the back of the hill on the way to the finish, I realized that LeanOldGuy was pretty invested in not being beaten by a girl, and that I didn't care enough to risk an injury. So I let him take line honours, and I (gasp) was 2OA and 1st woman. Lessons: Cherry-pick your races. Unless you're looking for a PR, run as fast as you have to but don't court injury. Hill repeats are good for you. When your opponent is gasping, smile sweetly, and leave.