Masters Running

Southern California Half Marathon RR (Read 187 times)

huskydon

Short Version: Finished in 1:52:17, falling short of goal/ expectation/ hope of 1:48. Met several of the Runners World SoCal Forum at the race. This was a big race for me, the first flat half marathon I’ve run since Long Beach in ’06. I was going to use this race as a gauge of whether I had any chance of Boston Qualifying. My previous PR was 1:49:53 at the hilly Saddleback HM last year. The weather appeared to have a hand in how the race unfolded. I was expecting something like 52 degrees at the start, warming to 62 or so, but it is seemed to be in the 60’s from the get go. Plus it was very sunny and quite windy in some parts. By mid race I was already dumping water on my head and trunk. Optimistic as ever, I started out briskly. The race is large (4000?) so not wanting to be held back, I stationed myself fairly close to the front and I really was only slightly affected by slower runners. The Students Run LA runners were here in force, and I must say they seemed to be much better in runner’s etiquette than times I had seen them before. The first four miles went very well, although in hindsight, it was way too fast. I realized it was hotter than I had planned and should have adjusted. After the first mile, I tried to dial it back, but I think I was too determined to lock in some fast miles early. The splits for the first four miles: 8:00 8:18 8:04 7:52 For the next five miles, I push hard, but am slowing. But in retrospect, I didn’t realize how hard I was pushing and how depleted I was getting.. 8:50 8:37 8:32 8:31 8:29 because the wheels kind of fall off in the last four miles. This is really no fun at all. Many are streaming by me. At mile 10, I ate a fig Newton and I felt stronger, but only for a very short time. I even stop for about 100 feet to walk in mile 11 as my back is hurting me. Not sure why that is. Occasionally it is sore on my long runs, but I think I really needed an excuse to stop, regroup and rest. My last four splits. 9:03 9:04 9:22 9:33 (last 1.1 miles) After the race, I met up with a six or seven of the Runners World SoCal Forum. They are a friendly group, but mostly faster and younger. The race is a bare bones race (no chip timing or medal) for the rock bottom pre-reg price of $37. No chip timing, some refreshments after the race, and a modest goodie bag. Plenty of water on the course, and the mile markers are accurate. I am not crazy about the course, which changes direction a couple dozen times, including some 180 degree turns, and but I will be back again. As always, thanks for reading.
    coastwalker

Hi Don, Warmer-than-expected weather and early miles at too fast a pace will get you (and me!) every time! It is frustrating and disappointing when the wheels come off, but you did what any good runner would do, which was stay with it and finish the race. Meeting the folks from the RW SoCal Forum after the race must have been fun! Congrats on a good effort on a warm day! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tough race, Husky. Way to gut it out. And here's to a PR on the next one.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Tramps

I feel your pain. Warmer than expected temps change the whole dynamic...as I've learned the hard way. Sorry you weren't able to hit your goal but you've got to keep this performance in the perspective of the conditions. On a better day you'll be stronger.

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

It was hot and windy that day on the beach path, I can imagine you had it very tough! A nice finish time despite the conditions though, good job! Smile

Runners run

I'm sorry to hear you missed your goal, Don, but you still ran a good race. I have confidence you'll get that PR next time. Congratulations. TomS
                You can never control the weather and at least you gave your goal pace a shot! But I know that feeling of having gone out too fast and suffering for it later on...it really really is unpleasant. Next time you'll get it!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

The race is a bare bones race (no chip timing or medal) for the rock bottom pre-reg price of $37. No chip timing, some refreshments after the race, and a modest goodie bag. Plenty of water on the course, and the mile markers are accurate.
                  Huskydon - I can beat that bargain even, with the ORRRC Marathon in April - $20 entry fee for early registration, and they have chip timing, mile markers, hydration stations, and even a reasonable spread of food afterward. Last year they had a pot of chili, and I remember that no post-race food ever tasted so good to me as that chili... Hotter than expected temps can really take the wind out of your sails, but even though you didn't have the race you had hoped for, that's still a fine finishing time. Nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hi Don, it sure was hot this weekend. You did very well considering the conditions. Here's to a cooler day for us at the PV Half Marathon!
                    Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

I'm always concerned about going out too fast and often I end up starting too slow and regretting it. It is tough to nail the correct pace given weather conditions and course. You know you gave it all,.... and there is always the next race. Congratulations!! Francesca
                      huskydon

Thanks all, for your encouragement and support. It really means a lot, more so when I don't run as well as I hppe to. You guys are the best! I have been thinking about it some, and believe that I probably was dehydrated come the second part of the race. Expecting to run in the 50's, I didn't drink pre-race, and only took modest amounts during the race. Well, another lesson learned! Thanks again.