Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 9.27.12 (Read 382 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Thanks for covering the early start for me yesterday, Jlynne. It's good to get to know the newspaper delivery guys. Here,we wave to each other, and watch out for each other.

Slo, I'm glad your daughter is smart and safe from the store event. You should let the store manager know how good a job the clerk did of jumping in, getting rid of the guy, and notifying the police.

Twocat, that is the funniest thing I've ever seen on Amazon!

Rochrunner, I also am a pharmaceutical minimalist, and won't take anything more than an occasional ibu., to help me get some sleep (which is what I did last night). We also saw the story about the store selling pre-peeled bananas, and couldn't come up with any rational for it that makes any sense.

Welcome back, Bill - can't wait to see the trip pix!

Good rant, Leslie. Never understood why people don't take responsibility for the animals that depend on them. Care for them, or give/sell them to someone who will. There is even less justification for animal abuse than there is for pre-peeled bananas.

Mariposai, Great name for your bike! Sounds like a challenging, but productive day yesterday.

Erika - have fun in Laguna!  Don't do any jaywalking.....Wink

What's wrong with a little Jaywalking? I do it all the time...Big grin

I had a great, relaxing evening with DW yesterday, and I got (finally) a decent night's sleep last night. I woke at 4:15, but stayed in to get a few more zzzz's instead of heading out for a workout. But I still got up in time for some good core exercises, so the morning was reasonably well-spent, and now I feel human again (so watch out...).

We've crossed the line, and now there are fewer than 12 hours between sunrise and sunset. I have to try to get out at lunchtime every day so I can grab a little of the sunshine that's out there.

Enjoy your Thursday!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Pleasant degrees

Starry sky

Nice running buddies

5.15 miles. The gals needed a walk break again, I staved them off as long as I could. They keep complaining about their hands and/or arms going numb?  Anybody have suggestions for this? I do not have this problem and so feel unable to give sound advice. Anyway, they tend to complain of this symptom after we climb a hill in mile 2-3. They take a walk break and then are pretty good for the rest of the run. These women are better athletes than I, so I don't understand this. It has been happening for the past couple weeks.

Twocat and all: Thank you for you advice re: my employment prospects. I fear you have more confidence in me than is warranted. I appreciate that.

I am waiting to hear back from the hospital with the L&D job.(I got acknowledgment that my app. was received) I tried to apply on-line to the cardiology research job but something about pop-up blockers thwarted my attempt and so I shall try again. (I was at work and didn't want to mess with that computer, I will try on my home laptop)

My current employer is supportive and has no problem with me using the work computer for the applications. She had also told me that they love my work and will allow me whatever time I need to orient to a new position if I get hired at one of the other places. My current job is safe. And I can make my own schedule there.

I am a very lucky person.

Breger. So nice to read about your trip to Barcelona!  Little Miss RS was there this summer (her third trip to Spain!) and she, too, had a wonderful time. 

Leslie, thank you for caring for the horses. 

Slo, sad that creeps taint the joys of adolescence. On a positive note? Perhaps having affirmation re: her "creep o meter" she will be safer in future encounters?

Again, to all of you, I enjoy reading about your days. Now I must go and get ready for bridge. MamaRosa asked if I would sub for Thursday morning bridge group. Since Mama is hosting, I will be happy to be the fourth!

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Mariposai

Have fun play bridge, miss RCG

Holly, Autumn Leaf run is October 13.

Jay, do you know why I name my bike carmen? Because the opera Carmen is one of my faves Big grin

Where is timbo?

Quick post here since I have another great work load and must get going. 5 miles in the dark. I was up at 5, but was not able to get out until 5:45 because I had one headlamp crisis after another. It is time to go to Home Depot and buy new ones.

It was 45F this morning, crispy and clear. Had to wear a long sleeve shirt, but still I wore shorts, yeap, Tramps will be so proud of me Clown.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

It's chilly here this morning too, Mari!  I had to scrape ice off my windshield. 

Slo, I loved your description the other day about what you love about fall.  I love fall, too!  (and spring, summer, and winter)   Glad your DD has a strong creep-o-meter - it will serve her well.

Byll - glad you had a fun trip - but you only went for 4 days???  That doesn't sound like long enough!

Opie is here for a visit!  This has been a really good year for meeting CR/RA friends - he's the 9th friend I've met this year, and the 12th in all.  What a great community we have.  I'm looking forward to meeting even more people at the Monkey in November!  Opie is fending for himself today and tomorrow since I have to work - he says he's happy to hang out at my house and read, and take the dogs for a walk - sound familiar, Mike?  We'll be running together after work, and doing a trail run with Seemomgo on Saturday.  Hey Mtnchk - can you and your DH join us?  (I'll send you a text too in case you don't check in here!)

Rosie, good luck with the job prospects!  Sounds like it'll work out great, no matter what you choose!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

I also am a pharmaceutical minimalist,

One of our clients told me earlier this week that his father is on 27 medications.  How can that be good?

Carolyn and Opie meet-up - great fun!

Slo - I agree with Buehrle

Mariposai - good luck with the headlamp shopping.

6.5 easy-paced miles for me this morning in light rain and 62 degrees.  Behind the rain is the cool front, so tomorrow will be much cooler.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi everybody!

7 on the TM this morning.

Last Sunday, I went 20 - 1:28 out, 1:25 back.  Definitely wind-aided, but boy did it feel good!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

This place is starting to sound like the old days, . .. except I actually did something this morning: cycle - 4 miles.
                Mari - we know that about carmen but, for me, only getting him down once a year from hanging upside down in the garage almost made me forget dale’s name. He remembers rosie’s and divechief’s but won’t tell me.  Though he understands why I’m afraid of a 0.5 mile swim out in Lake Washington this time of year, after cycling with me in every triathlon since 1992, he is very unhappy that the Wimpathlon option with the 0.25 mile swim I registered for for 9/30 only has a single loop of the six mile bike course.  Don’t tell him but, since I’ll probably be DGL* again anyway, I’ll probably take him around for the same two laps of the cycle course the 0.5 mile swimmers get to do, just like I did this summer when they changed a favorite 5/K10K fun run to only 5K. 
                * dead-glorious-last

ps - when is the Autumn Leaf 5K (10KI?) this year? are you and enki just working both days or will you be able to run too?  Either way, some photos will be appreciated (not just the spectacular mountain ones this time though). Any pretty sunsets from the fire haze/smoke?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG, best of luck on the job front.  hallar, what a bummer about the dead squirrels in your walls.  breger, it sounds like a great trip to Barcelona.  fatozzig, that's awful about the neglected horses.  Slo, sorry to hear about your daughter's "creep" encounter.  wild, how neat to have an opie visit.  dg, nice running, including fartleks.

This morning, it was about 40° and there was a light breeze.  I got in 5 miles at an 11:01 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS 

There is even less justification for animal abuse than there is for pre-peeled bananas.

Big grin  I had to seriously scratch me head re the pre-peeled bananas thing.  Ick.

My dad is on way too much medication, IMHO, but I fight my battles with him one at a time.  Right now the battle is for him to sit down with me and go over his insurance, finances, etc., so I know what's going on in case something happens to him.  Feel like I'm walking that fine line between being prepared and being nosy, but he's being good about it.  It's getting him to pull the paperwork together that's frustrating.  Unfortunately,  my pops is a paper hoarder.  Any kind of paper - newspapers, magazines, junk mail.  He's not as bad as what you see on TV, but it's not good either.  *sigh* Like I said, one battle at a time.

5 miles this a.m.  There was very little traffic, and since it was very foggy, so all sounds were muffled and it was quiet.  At my turn around point, I walked for a couple of blocks just so I could enjoy the peacefulness of it all.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Unfortunately,  my pops is a paper hoarder.  Any kind of paper - newspapers, magazines, junk mail.  He's not as bad as what you see on TV, but it's not good either.  *sigh* Like I said, one battle at a time.

My dear FIL suffered from beginning stages of dementia before he passed away and thought that junk mail asking for donations (the gay Republicans, the NRA, public radio etc) were bills that had to be paid. Unfortunately, these organizations latched on to him like bloodsuckers when he started sending them money every month. He was living alone in Arizona before DH's family moved him back here but when they went over his books, he had already "contributed" over $7,000 to these people. I felt so bad for him.

Rosie - sounds like you've got a great boss now. Hopefully you'll get a second one.

Hey - nice to see PBJ back!

Carolyn - you're so lucky to get to meet all of the RA folks. Pictures of Opie's visit, ok?

7 painful miles this morning. Something is up with my left hamstring. Used the foam roller but it's not real comfortable sitting right now. If I could ask everyone to keep my DIL in their thoughts this afternoon. She had to make an emergency doctor's appt this afternoon beause of cramping and spotting (she's 4 1/2 months pregnant). They lost a baby last fall. Understandably she's quite nervous.

TammyinGP

now that dang banana slicer is showing up on my sidebar advertisements. Angry   along with a strawberry slicer. waiting on a blueberry slicer. Now THAT would be ingenious!

Tammy

Went out to see a band last night, "Garbage", you know them.  I'm only happy when it rains.  Which is often true, cause I love a good run in the rain sometimes.  The venue was ok, but my two big complaints were 1) the sound distortion was pretty bad, ok awful, and 2) a 24 oz draft beer cost me $11  Shocked

I slept in and missed a good seminar I should have gone to, on work related to ours, but oh well!  It's hard to burn the candle from both ends.  No run, but my calf feels good today.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

SteveP

5.15 miles. The gals needed a walk break again, I staved them off as long as I could. They keep complaining about their hands and/or arms going numb?  Anybody have suggestions for this?

When my toes have done this while running, I've tried to wiggle them on the go.

Yay PBJ!!!

I've taken today and Friday off for DD#3's wedding tomorrow. I got called in today. If the boss wanted me to come back from FL early because no one else could start his lawn mower, today should have not been a surprise. Any way, Tag's come came off and he came with me and we hit much loved, but seldom visited trails. It was good to see him that happy. Near a stream, I put his leash back on. There are often deer near there. Much to the dog's disappointment, the leash hampered his chasing of a chipmunk. I think he got his lips on the little bugger though. When he catches gophers, he doesn't hurt them, but he's tough on mice. I'd just as soon not find out any more than that.

Off to the rehearsal. On the way back, I picked up a dozen sets of Hillbilly Teeth for the bride's maids and groom's men. 

SteveP

If the boss wanted me to come back from FL early because no one else could start his lawn mower, today should have not been a surprise. 

I picked up a dozen sets of Hillbilly Teeth for the bride's maids and groom's men. 

Seriously? re your boss?  Seriously???

Can't wait for the pics with the teeth!!

Sadly, 1 woman and a dog was killed and 2 women were seriously injured this morning while they were running together predawn on a back road between Arcata and Eureka.  It was a hit-and-run, and the vehicle was found abandoned what would be approximately 4-5 miles from the scene.  From the description, it sounds like they were appropriately running against the traffic.  Unfortunately, if I'm correct in my thinking as to where they were running, there is very little shoulder and not a lot of room for error.  If the driver of the vehicle was under the influence, they wouldn't have had many options for getting out of the way.  Regardless, this is very sad as the woman killed has a 7- and a 4-year old child.

Keep your eyes and ears open while out there!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Seriously? re your boss?  Seriously???

Yeah, seriously. I told him if I rented a car left left I'd get back later than if I made the return flight. When I statrted with the company, I had to agree to have the phone with me at all times. Unless my job is saving lives, I won't do that again.

It's so very sad about the women and dog. It's impossible to be too safe out there.

SteveP