Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 12.21.13 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I hope bet Riblet's 'ring' speech went well yesterday.

It looks like we'll have an interesting race amongst a few posters to see who can get to 1,000 mi. for the year by the end of the year. How's everyone else doing against their annual mileage goals? I usually set a fairly modest goal of 1,200 mi. for the year because I figure 100/month is good for me. 1,300 is my bonus goal, and I'm at 1,333 so far for this year.

8.3 racewalking miles in delightful 38F temps this morning. The moon was just a faint glow behind some clouds when I headed out, but they gradually thinned out and moved on, and I was treated with some dapper moonlight for my last few miles. It was quite nice to be out without a jacket!

Yesterday's office Christmas party at our house was a lot of fun, with some great food (everyone brought something) and drink, and lots of great conversation. Today, we're off to breakfast at our favorite local dive, then the indoor farmer's market, Trader Joe's, and then back home to cut off the top half of a tall cabinet and build a solid surface for the top of the bottom half so we'll have a new home for our TV. We'll see how that goes...

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//...........very impressive work-out

=============

my Wed. Visit with Claire was WONDERFUL

however,

12-hours of driving

sitting,

and walking around her school and daycare FRIED my leg

then

I remembered my 72-Hour Rule>>>>>>went into CouchPotato(e) Mode and let it Rest

therefore,

I am pleased to post-

33mprnb

WITH steps

.............................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I remembered my 72-Hour Rule>>>>>>went into CouchPotato(e) Mode and let it Rest

Glad you had a nice visit with Claire, grandpa. I think you and I have the same experiences with long car trips. DH and I talk about driving to Florida but we have to get out every 30 minutes or so to stretch sore backs/leg and we'd use up our whole vacation just getting there and back.

5 miles on the treadmill this morning, followed with some cross training shoveling out the end of the driveway after the plow came through.

Tramps

That's a good rule, TW.  Glad you're better.

Jlynne probably doesn't want me to post the temp here so look away.  (59F this morning; 66F right now on it's way to the mid 70s.  Even warmer tomorrow.)  Okay you can look now.

Popped in to wish everyone a Happy Solstice!  Great day here to enjoy the little sun we have today.  Nice to know there's more sunshine coming day by day.

EZ 5.

Be safe. Be kind.

...MerryChristmas tramps and jylnne/////////

oh,ps,

here's our ChristmasChoir

http://firstprescookeville.org/Audio_files/Events/Carols2013/Carols-2013.html

not the best,

but for 10-guys we gave it our best shot.

my Favorite

was the ''SingNoel'' AccapellaProcessional Number

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Merry Christmas and Good Running to Ya..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

Today was one of the toughest 10-miles I've ever run.  My worst ever runs of around 10-miles were when it was hot and I looked death in the eye, but that is different.  Maybe someday I'll run on tough mountain trails at elevation and I'll top today's effort.

I wanted to run 10 and I knew it was icy, but my screw-shoes feel ever so slightly funny and I was worried that I could cause problems if I ran that far in them.  So I optimistically set off in regular shoes on streets that I could have just as easily used ice skates on.  And I am not exaggerating.  It was very tough and I was stubborn for a while to stay out, but I finally turned around and came home to change shoes.

I got home at 6.52 miles.  The combination of being a little over dressed and how hard it was to run left me soaked like I was running in the summer.  So I changed everything except my socks.  I put on lighter weight clothes, my screw-shoes and headed out for 4 more miles.  I got great traction, but my legs were so tired it didn't really matter.

I feel like I ran 20 (or at least how I imagine that running 20 would feel.)   I hope I can still walk in the morning.

Working that hard must be good for something...?

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, I've been thinking of the solstice for the last two weeks. Hate running in the dark but that's what I've been doing. Things are brightening up.

But not today in N. Texas. Heavy rain and cold temps for my 4 miler this morning, just enough to get my 40 in for the week.

And the Ring Ceremony speech was beyond my expectations. From the second he got to the podium I knew he was going to nail it, and he did. At his school the grade levels are called Forms, so as a junior he is in the Seventh Form, as he started in 5th grade with First Form. Like many small schools, each Form tends to have its own personality:  all geeks, all jocks, quiet, rowdy, dumb, whatever.

His Form has a reputation of being unruly and difficult to control and to my amazement, he challenged his class to use the next year and a half to clean it up and grow, and fulfill the expectations of parents and faculty.  I was amazed.  When he was done his Form jumped up and gave him a standing O.  And yes, I started to cry.  Spareribs

When he was done his Form jumped up and gave him a standing O.  And yes, I started to cry.  Spareribs

Everyone is so full of Christmas cheer today. You guys are the best. I'm all better now. My bout of "Seasonal Distress Disorder" has passed. And I'm looking forward to longer days and more sunshine

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jlynne--don't be so hard on yourself.  What's the fun of getting old if you can't act childish once in a while? (or constantly, as DW reminds me from time to time)  Don't forget, rants are not only allowed, but encouraged.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

And the Ring Ceremony speech was beyond my expectations. From the second he got to the podium I knew he was going to nail it, and he did. At his school the grade levels are called Forms, so as a junior he is in the Seventh Form, as he started in 5th grade with First Form. Like many small schools, each Form tends to have its own personality:  all geeks, all jocks, quiet, rowdy, dumb, whatever.

His Form has a reputation of being unruly and difficult to control and to my amazement, he challenged his class to use the next year and a half to clean it up and grow, and fulfill the expectations of parents and faculty.  I was amazed.  When he was done his Form jumped up and gave him a standing O.  And yes, I started to cry.  Spareribs

So awesome Ribs!!

Sorry I havent been posting much and this is just another quick flyby - 10.2 miles in balmy, sunny weather very odd for NE considering last Saturday my 10 miles was in 12 degrees!!  We had our running group holiday run today and it was a blast!!

Have a wonderful weekend my friends!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

This is priceless.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.  DD had an early basketball game (her team won!) and I had to go pick her up from a spend-the-night elsewhere to get her home and ready first.  Also, DS was up early to go with grandpa to volunteer at Habitat for Humanity to get some of his NHS volunteer time in and I packed him a lunch to take. Before I knew it , my workout time was up and it was time to go to the game.

Afterward I braved the crowds and the steady rain to do some last-minute Christmas shopping, came home to make a big pot of vegetable stew.

Now, when I really should hit the treadmill for a few miles, I feel inexplicably lazy, and will probably just wrap presents and putter around the house. 

Oh well.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Greetings all! The last two weeks were jammed with business travel and I am woefully behind here and everywhere. Taking it all at a mellow pace even so since time at home with my guys matters most to me. If folks get holiday cards after the holiday, too bad. I am unplugging and just savoring these next two weeks without a set schedule, airport waiting, rental cars, or fretting about weather delays.

I ran 10 hilly, hilly mikes with Iron J this morning and have been mostly puttering around the house since then. The kiddo is at an indoor track festival in Boston. The girl who won the 1,000 meter run ran the top time in the nation (for the season so far). Cool! The kiddo isn't competing in this meet (limited entries) but is helping the coach with stats.  One of the kiddo's teammate's just ran a 9:58 for the two-mile---a junior and fastest time in the state. The indoor track season is young, but what a nice confidence boost for him.

Wonderful job Hudson! And Ribs, I bet you and The Saint are beaming with pride.

Greetings of the Season to all and Happy New Year! I am unplugging pretty much everywhere (except for my Kindle) and will "see" you in January or as they said in grade school on the last day of the calendar year---"See You Next Year!"

Berklee College of Music used to be one of my clients and while I am not surprised by their talent, I love this performance:

http://www.berklee.edu/news/students-surprise-mfa-crowd-o-holy-night

The staff team I worked with there was up on the sixth floor of the school's main building. I purposely walked up the stairs so I could hear all the music and voices at each level as I climbed up----multiple concerts along the way and always terrific.

"puttering around the house" seems to have become both a popular phrase and activity with the master's women.

CNY - I luv going offline for awhile.  Remarkably, the world still turns even when you are not constantly watching it.  That kiddo's teammate was fast o boy!

I did 6.1 miles of mud at Cougar Mtn, in dense fog, dripping trees and 42F.  Remi got a shower after that.  About a pound of dirt came off him.  Good news, no aches or pains in my foot, neither the presumptive PF or my metatarsal pain.  Yeah!  For the rest of the day, I plan on puttering around the house.  I have been on a mini-crusade to de-clutter.  The mini part is really micro, it takes time.  But I am seeing forward progress.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

congrats to those who are nearing, or have met, their mileage goals for the year.  tomw, nice Claire visit.  ribs, it sounds like riblet gave a great speech.

Nice long runs for Dave (on icy roads), deez, and CNY.

This morning, I did a race in Bay City.  The temperature was in the high 20s, there was some freezing mist, and ice on much of the route.  I wore my Yaks as did a good number of the other participants.  I had a PW for a 5K which I will blame on the conditions.  My time was 31:15 for a 10:05 pace.  I was 64/100 OA and 3/3 in my AG (70+).  A mile warmup and 1.9 miles after gave me 6 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

King of PhotoShop

Thank you all.  Last I'm going to post about it but I thought you might like to see what I meant:

Spareribs