Masters Running

Sunday 24th runs (Read 516 times)

spacityrunner

If it weren't for having to leave Tuesday night for Minneapolis for two days, i would have arranged to have dinner with one of my favorite dates, runningindc. We could talk feet all night! Spareribs
    Mr. Ribs, I was so hoping to get the chance to discuss our mutual foot fetish. Next time my foot friend. Wink I was reading with much interest the discussion around those who are injured that drop from the posting as much as they used to, if at all. I am of that category. Reading about this got me to wondering why? Confused /rant on/ I am not experienced, so I do not have the wisdom of the Mr. Ribs of the world. I am not fast, or training for anything so I have no intervals, LSR (they are all SR for me) or tempos like the beers family, berger byll's and the like. I have no family dramas, children's stories, or new boyfriends to share about. I did not get Castro to resign (thanks tall, maybe now us Americans can go to Cuba too) nor do I travel to exotic places (the steam room at my club does not count). I live a even tempered life, full of cat stories, school (I am a student) and work. Something I find rather non-exciting to write about (really, how many times do you all want to hear about the cute things my kitty's did today, or the crappy paper I have to write by Tuesday???). So, I come full circle to my running life. That I can share here. The trials and tribulations that I face when I put my sneakers on and go for a run. You all get it, you all understand. When I can't do that....well, ask yourself, really, how many times do you want to hear over and over again, I went for a swim today, or I went for a run even tho my foot hurt and I shouldn't of. So, I lurk here, everyday, and sigh at your running exploits and wait for the day I can join in once again. And I know that I will return. And every once in a while I post my experience. But, for today, it is the same. My foot hurts, the drugs help, nothing else seems to, and I am tired and frustrated. I generally spend more time spouting off in my blog (thanks Vista for the idea) about the various mundane daily things, but here, I have nothing of substance to add. So I don't. But I will...and I am glad that you share with me your runs and life. It helps to make this time off much more bearable. /rant off/ Today I swam for 45 minutes, then did the crystal park tri. I now have to write a paper for my class on Tuesday. I am not looking forward to it. Big grin Good runs and good night everyone

Trails Rock!

SteveP

What are we going to do with out TomS??? After reading Tall's post, I'm glad I live in an area where most every knows each other. I've been on a bike and caught up with a few of those guys. Not as tough face to face. I was still tender after yesterday's race, yet I really want to get the miles back up. The dog and I took a little 5 mile loop. It's a good thing I wasn't in a derby. About mile 4, I pulled up lame and started the limp/waddle back to home.

SteveP

..runningindc//.......it's tough to lurk, but if you Lace "em Up and Hit the Streets....,,,,Post it....... .......re-hab is tough,,,,,,,,and posting is Good for Morale......... ...........nice work-out....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Runningin DC and anyone who is injured – I for one DO want to hear about your kitty stories, the papers you have to write, your swims, your pain, the mundane daily things – this is the stuff of which our lives are made up of, and our (your) take on those things helps me have a glimpse into your world, helps to get to know you better. Sure, anyone can write about how they ran blah blah miles in blah blah conditions at blah blah paces, and in fact I like to read about that as well, but don’t think for a minute that you have nothing to contribute here just because you are sidelined at the moment. You are each a bright thread in the tapestry of this community, and all parts are important to the beauty of the whole.
          Today I swam for 45 minutes, then did the crystal park tri.
          And are we going to hear more about this Crystal Park Tri? TomWhite - gosh I miss you!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

So, I come full circle to my running life. That I can share here. The trials and tribulations that I face when I put my sneakers on and go for a run. You all get it, you all understand.
            Runningindc, that was well put. I, too, am not fast or training for anything, and I'm still a relative newbie after only 2+ years so I have no great running wisdom to impart. So I don't have a lot to post on my rest days, but I get great motivation from reading about others' runs. And I agree with Holly that non-running posts are fun to read, too. Today it's above freezing, but that's making the snow all sloppy and slushy. I considered driving to a lower elevation to find dry trails, but it seems dumb to waste gas to get a run in. So I went to the rec center and ran intervals on the indoor track. (Yeah, I drove to the rec center, but it's only 1.5 miles away.) Hate to run inside on a nice day, but it would have been slow and slushy outside, and the dogs would have been wet and muddy. (no way I could leave them home - they'd give me THE LOOK). So I ran a total of 6 miles, with alternating slow and fast half miles, avg paces 10:15 and 8:15 respectively. Then did some weights. Glad I went. Good runs all, and good vacations to those of you heading out this week!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Mariposai- "mariposai.... mariposai... where are you???" That was the 13 miler calling you. What was your answer?
              What was my answer? Here I am of course. 13 relaxing miles under the drizzling sky. Great weather for running. I just wanted to go on, but it is time to get ready for a Greek dinner at a friend's house. Belly dancing anyone? Well...after the 13 miler I just did I do not know how gracious I will be, but I know that the gang will help me get in the mood. Thanks for your gracious comments about my marathon Paraguay run report. You guys are just too nice.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Hey Liz! Yes, you can skip the cat stories but I'd love to hear about the papers you have to write. You made the same point I did. When you're on the DL there ain't much to say. Why do you think I'm posting bread recipes and crossword clues??? Twocat: They got my toothpaste today. A 7 oz. tube. Dangerous me. Jules, missed you on the earlier post. Well done. I'm now in Salisbury, MD. Heck of a flight and drive to get here. Beautiful day too. Spareribs
                btb1490

I have nothing of substance to add. So I don't.
                  Bzzzzzzzztttttt. (That's a buzzer going off). WRONG! If it weren't for you, the next time I run through Haines Point and notice the statues missing, I'll know where to find them! So there! Tongue Wink Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. Post if you want. Don't post if you don't won't. But don't NOT post because you think we aren't interested. How many people here faithfully pour through these posts daily? Why do you think they do that? What keeps them coming back? Maybe not everyone can post replies to every thread, but that doesn't mean they aren't listening or aren't interested. It's the nature of forums, for better or worse. But look at it this way, if it weren't for posting on these forums, you wouldn't have met people like ribs to discuss foot fetishes over dinner with. See, it's the thing that keeps you from posting, your injury, that potentially would've brought you two together. Ironic, wouldn't you say? I sincerely hope you feel better soon, physically and otherwise. (((runningindc)))
                  bap

I'm feeling good. After trashing my adductor last weekend I had 2 massages plus acupuncture in two days. Running today was no problem. Thanks for asking.

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

Hey, runningindc, I love cats! I love cat stories even more! Smile If it weren't for OT posts, I wouldn't be attempting to make bread next weekend. Plus, I like hearing about people's injuries, so when it happens to me, I'll remember in a vague fuzzy kind of way, what to do or not to do.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

We've been on a skiing vacation at Sugarbush, Vermont since Wednesday. But my ski boots were TOO SMALL! What's up with that? Has running made my feet bigger? I had on my usual thin socks. I've lost two big toenails the past month, too, and another toe is sore for some reason. So my first run down the hill was agony, and I felt like a klutz, anyway. So I sent my two kids off on their own and sat by the fireplace in the lodge the rest of the day! Blush Then the next day (when The Today show broadcast live at the resort) was very cold and windy, so I hung out at a small gym, running 5.2 miles on the treadmill and watching The Today Show, lol. Friday, two of my kids were sick, so I hung out with them at the condo. Yesterday I cleaned up the condo while everyone else skied. I'm not complaining, because it was a very relaxing vacation, but I didn't ski! I have discovered that running has reduced my interest in skiing, because I'm outside all the time, anyway. Today the roads still seem treacherous, so DS15 and I ran side by side on the YMCA treadmills. I did 5.3 miles in 59:04, and he did an "easy" 8.3 miles in 60 minutes. He is going to be running in the 4x800 relay at the New England meet on Friday - I think it's in Boston. That's my novel for today! I hope everyone has a good week. I have to get back on track to catch that 1000-mile bunny. Teresa
                        btb1490

CNYrunner- holy crap! We want details! Shocked 2/24-------10 mile race with 2 wu/5-6 cd (17-18 total)----2 mile wu---10 mile race in 1:15:04 (official results not up yet)--6 miles cool down----18.2 total
                            Holly - i like what you said!! it's great to see a little glimpse of everyone's life - it's not like we're proathletes who only have to train for a living - we all have real families, real jobs, real problems to deal with everyday!! Hyannis 1/2 marathon for me today - my garmin had me at 13.3 miles - can it be calibrated incorectly? i really don't think i weave .2 miles worth..........anyway I set a PR 2:02:08 -- I am sooooooooo happy!! will go post a RR next

denise

..thanks holly//.......I miss you guys too........ ...but apparently I am too Dumb to post in two sites.....(can't get as creative with the 2nd post) ......I check in over here, but usually Lurk instead of post

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good evening folks! The kiddo is in bed---school break is over and the oral report on Guatemala is memorized----hope he's sweetly dreaming. The beagle is snoring louder than Mr. CNYrunner and I am trying to catch up on all these wonderful posts while the Oscars are on TV. Yeesh...I am still working on watching the 2004 Oscar nominated films. I am just pretending I am au courant. I spent the last 4 days playing endless board games, cheering at hockey games, sledding, running and catching up with my guys. I also cleaned house and hauled quite a lot to the DPW...seems like that was a theme here. Too much here to comment on all (not as talented as tselbs or btb) but please know that I love reading it all---runs, no runs, advice, questions, all of it. I haven't been posting long and I miss those who don't post regularly and eagerly await the reports from those who do. I'll post a race report in a little bit---ran a 10 mile race today and felt good. I am waiting for the official results, but may post what I know for now and circle back. Lots more reading ahead I see! CNYrunner