Masters Running

Election Tuesday 11.3.15 (Read 41 times)

mrrun

Just starting Tuesday to give Jay a break!

Congrats Robin, deez, tw and others who need shout-outs!

Happy trails,

marj

Dave59

Good morning and happy National Sandwich Day.  I ran 5 this morning under nice clear skies. Congratulations to the NYC runners (and those who ran other places.)

I haven't gotten up to speed on local politics so I don't know if there is any voting going on here. I know there is a heated governor's race a few miles away in Kentucky.  Based on the commercials I've seen, they are both liars and terrible people. 

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone. Thanks, Marj.

Still up to my eyeballs, so just another quick walk-by.

We had our last pre-race race committee meeting last evening, and it went well: I didn't get an answer when I asked what we forgot.I was up at 2 this morning, making a list of the things I still have to get done for the race. Oy.

3.8 easy and achy RW miles this morning. Still not out of the woods yet. Going for more massage torture treatment this afternoon.

If you have elections today, vote or you can't complain about the results.

Have a greta National Sandwich Day Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

............... I know there is a heated governor's race a few miles away in Kentucky.  Based on the commercials I've seen, they are both liars and terrible people. 

...it's a Tradition...........we should have kept Trial by Combat

which

is more fun to watch,

and doesn't last as long

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Our local elections will determine the way P&Z operates for the next two years. We have the strangest election process you have ever heard of. I am still not sure how it works. The P&Z has 7 members with 3 democrats and 3 republicans and 1 that can be from either party. (No, I have no idea what happens if an independent ever gets on it.) Right now there are 4 republicans and 3 democrats. Under the rules that puts 3 republican incumbents up for reelection. Running for the 3 spots are the 3 incumbents and 1 democrat. You can vote for any 4 candidates. The top 3 vote getters are on the P&Z. See how that works? No, neither do I. 

Running: I managed 8 miles today while being chased by zombies. Alas, I was caught by the first horde. Although, I think that has more to do with my phone's GPS than my actual pace. Still, rules are rules and my poor avatar has to suffer for it.   Nice day out, except for the zombies. The leaves and trees this time of year are really beautiful. This is a shot near the library in the next town over, about mile 6 into my route.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I look my best blurry!

Just starting Tuesday to give Jay a break!

Congrats Robin, deez, tw and others who need shout-outs!

Happy trails,

marj

Running to the polls and then off to the trails!  Woo hoo!  Feeling thankful for this beautiful day.  I am coming home after to plant the 75% off perennials I picked up for a steal!  Have a good day everyone!

Sayhey! MM#130

There's a sandwich in every Beer T Shirt

feeling blessed on this beautiful day is the way to do it, I'd say.  Here here, wannabe!

AND me three on the Malt Ball loveboat.  Yum.

Change in time means I have enough light to get to Lakes Park in the am, YAY!  Been missing those birds.  So 7+ easy roundtrip miles.

And there are now raw cranberries available at the market, love them in my oatmeal.

At least the Mets gave their fans a super ride.   And think of the poor Cubs fans .

Tooseday......"maybe Tuesday will be my good news day...."  [name that song]

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Absolutely beautiful day here as well, but I am sticking to my no running plan - even tho every fiber in me is protesting and saying  just a little run!! LOL  Nope - cleaning out my closets and clothes drawers instead - oh so much fun!! NOT!!

Have a terrific Tuesday my friends!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

...it's a Tradition...........we should have kept Trial by Combat

which

is more fun to watch,

and doesn't last as long

Marijuana is on the ballot here in Ohio.  Interestingly, the marijuana issue (#3) grants a monopoly to a select small group of people in what promises to be a billion-dollar market, and another issue on the ballot (#2) makes monopolies illegal.  If both of these issues pass, they are at odds with each other and possibly cancel each other out.  That might be interesting to watch.  However, the marijuana people have done more than their job of flooding the media with "No on 2, Yes on 3" so I expect many people will vote that way just because the mantra has sunk into their subconscious.   

I left early to vote, so cut my workout time short - 20 minutes of Shoulders and Arms and 10 minutes of abwork.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

New skirt in town

Sorry I didn't get back here until today!  I had such a great, fun run on Sunday in NYC. Weather was perfect, and I WASN'T SCARED AT ALL OF THE BRIDGES!  Bridges are a big fear of mine, but I guess being surrounded by crowds really helped!

The start was bizarre!  If anyone else knew anyone running, please ask about their experience. I was in Wave 2, and the corrals were supposed to open at 9 AM and close at 9:40 AM, with our start being at 10:15AM.  I was running a bit late (the buses were so slooooow!), so I ran and ran to get to my corral.  There were big crowds in front of the corral at 9:35AM, which I just assumed were the Wave 3 folks waiting for their turn to enter the corrals.  So, I zigged and zagged and made my way to the front...and the corral was closed!  But...everyone else around me turns out to have been Wave 2 and it turns out that the corrals hadn't even opened yet for Wave 2.  All that worry for nothing.  Several other breathless Wave 2 runners arrived, and were equally relieved.

They then opened the corals and we wandered in.  Someone started yelling at us all to hurry, hurry, hurry, that we'd miss our start, but we all just shuffled along thinking she had us mixed up with the Wave 1 runners. I did a little dynamic flexibility warmup, but figured I'd have plenty of time to down my Gu and water and start shedding all of my layers once we were situated in the corrals.  I just followed the herd and shuffled along.  I'm not familiar with the start AT ALL, so I just meandered, thinking we had a good 20-25 minutes before the start.

All of a sudden the woman next to me says, "So, are you gonna run?" I couldn't figure out what she was talking about.  Of course I was gonna run. Weren't we all? But it turns out that we were all shuffling right up to the starting mats! The start line was weirdly open to us, and no one really knew what to do because it was a good 20 minutes before we were supposed to be starting.  I guess I should have just stepped to the side, and gotten myself together, but I just tore off my layers and started running, wondering what the heck was going on! I didn't get my Gu in, and I didn't get my warmup in, but I was off and running across the Verrazzano Narrows before I even had a chance to think of it!

I hadn't even had a chance to connect my Garmin Connect so that my husband could follow me, and we were all discombobulated!  So if any of you were tracking me and wondered why my start time was so bizarrely early, that is why.

Other than the weird start, I had a terrific race. Missed my BQ by 6 minutes, but whatever!  MarathonFoto took some weirdly good photos of me, which is not the norm. They even caught the moment when I spotted my husband and son in the grandstands and blew them kisses!  This was just after I went on a big Facebook rant about how bad race photos always are!

Weird that I can't link directly to FB photos right now, but here's a link to the public post with the pix: https://www.facebook.com/rtravers/posts/10206968472123735

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

Those pictures are fantastic, Robin!

wildchild

Carolyn

I had such a great, fun run on Sunday in NYC. Weather was perfect, and I WASN'T SCARED AT ALL OF THE BRIDGES!  Bridges are a big fear of mine, but I guess being surrounded by crowds really helped!

I'm just the opposite -- I like bridges, and being surrounded by crowds scares me! Congrats on a good race, Robin!  And I love the pictures.

Yesterday I did my last MLR before next Saturday's marathon.  I ran 12 miles in the state park, and it was warm enough for shorts again, after several recent runs in long pants, hat and gloves.  The forecast for the race still looks excellent!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

...good on the bridges rt///////

============

20-min elliptical

and

40-min poolrun, nb, cf, deo

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Wildchild, me too, regarding crowds.  I don't understand pace groups in marathon, as my strongest instinct is to get away from others.  :/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Voting is like running.
                                I love it, always will, . . . even when I don’t.
                                great run and RR Robin. 
                                sounds like my panic to catch an 11:45 pm EVA flight to Seattle after getting delayed out of Tokyo and not arriving in Taipei until 11:20 pm.  Got disembarked ahead of everyone else but it must have been about a half-mile of concourses so long they all had conveyor belt walkways but I was faster running even with my carry-ons only to get to the gate too late at 11:45, . . . but, voila! - the Seattle departure had been delayed by a typhoon for 45 minutes.
                                I don’t think it matters if the event is mega-or-mini and they don’t have ‘em slow enough for me anyway anymore but the Carlsbad (nee San Diego) Marathon pacers helped me Gallowwalk-run to my last sub-four too in 2002.

Felt great when I woke up this morning after Saturday’s 12-hours around-and-around the 1.93-mile perimeter of Carkeek Park 16+ times with its 430' up and then down per lap (6,500 feet).

Then I tried to get up.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)