Masters Running

Thu July 17 Runs and Workout (Read 514 times)

Good morning, everyone! Another beautiful morning in Maryland this morning -- great day to run. My schedule had 12, but we have an appointment in Bethesda at 8:30 so I had to cut it a bit short (didn't want to wake up at 3:15 -- 3:30 was early enough, thank you very much). Ran 10, but they were a good 10 miles -- peppy! The last six miles were at MP or better. 10.1 miles @ 8:02, AHR 155, 1:21 overall Have a great day today.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Sounds like a great 10 miler Lou! Thanks for starting us off. Where is Vista? Out for 3 this morning with Brinkley. As he was literally bouncing off the walls, DH asked if I was taking him with me. I really didn't think there was an option! 68 degrees and humid - but not as bad as yesterday. We took it easy and only had one bunnie fartlek. 9:45 avg. pace and 153 avg. hr. 300 various crunches and 50 push ups. Today I pick my girl puppy. We were tossing around hunting terms and gun names at dinner last night and all loved the name Benelli (it is a type of shot gun). I might spell it B'Nellie and call her Nellie for short. Happy Thoisday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Very peppy indeed! Nice run Lou! Coolish here to (66). Legs felt good so decuded to run 14 mi hilly countryside. 2:01:29 (8:40 pace, AHR 147). Several MP miles towards the end. Took Tory for a mile or so.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Nice peppy run to start us out, WRFB. Hopeful – why didn’t you pick a puppy from your own litter? Will you be breeding her? Perch – sounds like you are fully recovered. 4 mile walk on the treadmill for me this morning. I tried some tentative jogging here and there, but the groin pain is still there. My goal is not to run until I can do it pain-free without ibuprophen. The way this is dragging out, that might be a while. Sad (sigh) I'm even afraid to x-train with the bike, because the location of this strain seems to be affected by that, too, not during the ride, but I feel it later in the day. It's hard to know what I can do since it doesn't always hurt until later. I am hereby letting go of my hopes and expectations for the 2 fall races I signed up for. At this point I just want to be able return to a few miles of easy jogging so I can have my after-dinner ice cream cone again. After all, my first and foremost reason for running is so I can have my dessert Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Perch fully recovered? Heck no. He never even felt that uphill marathon. Time for you to think about some ultras Steve. That's the attitude Holly. Hang in there. Remember you're still young. That's a great name Mary. I approve! This morning I felt as good as I've felt in some time. My resting HR finally was below 50 (barely at 49) for the first time in probably 6+ months. I ran an easy comfortable 5 miles at 9:15 pace with 4 striders thrown in for turnover and the HR stayed well down - 135 on average. The weather was nice this morning at 73F and 89% - that probably helped. Encouraging ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning gang Smile Nice "peppy" miles Lou, with 6 at MP...very good over all ave pace!!! Mary, glad Brinkley got his "fix" this morning...and nice run to you too. WOW, 300 crunches and 50 push ups Shocked Wow Steve, looks like you have recovered nicely after your small little mountain climb Big grin Very nice 14 miles, that is impressive so soon after your Marathon. Bill, that is sooo great how well you are feeling with your running right now Smile Glad to see that lower HR...wonder why it was higher for that long? Bill, you showed some interest about my friend that won the 1/2 Ironman last Sat in 3:58....here is his times and paces to how he achieve that time - 1.2 mile swim 24:55 - 56 mile bike leg 2:13:35 - 25.1 ave pace - 13.2 mile run 1:18:33 - 5:58 ave pace Shocked . And he told me he didn't taper at all, but it was a training race for Ironman Wisconsin...oh to be young again. Sorry Holly, but you seem to be handling this set back a little better, but I / we all know how hard this is for you!!! Mid week long run for me last night with 6 - 1000 meter repeats at 7:15 pace - 4:30 each repeat. I have been doing these waaay to fast, so I promised Ribs I would try and do them right this time. 11.3 miles - 1:37:55 - 8:40 ave pace - 91 hot and humid degrees. 4:36 - 7:24 pace - ran slower to get a better feel for the desired pace, not my too fast pace. 4:33 - 7:19 pace - good 4:28 - 7:11 pace - good 4:30 - 7:15 pace - nailed it 4:32 - 7:17 pace - trying to hold back 4:27 - 7:09 pace - good With the heat, it did make running slower a little easier. Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Dave59

Just 4 easy here for me. I got back to Michigan yesterday and meant to run but I was tired and it was 90°. Still tired this morning and overslept, but I knew if I didn't do something that I'd be climbing the walls later.

..hopeful//.......yeah, I wish vista would check in too........ ========== ...but I digress.... ...........42min ''1000-Yard Stare'' Run...........just kinda Zoned Out, got back home drippy and content.... ..maybe 80's here, didn't really notice..... Content is Good. ...................good running guys...........remember what you wanted to Get From Your Running.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

No work today so I get to run in the morning Smile Afternoon has been sooo hot! 5 miles 1st 2 easy, 3 at tempo, then .5 mile cool down walk ( which I never count) Lou very nice run. Mary I think I'm going to try some bunny fartleks they sound fun. I had to do some practice raids with my Benelli 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun a couple weeks ago, let me tell ya a Benelli in the right hands don't need no fartlek to get bunnies Shocked I think B'Nellie sounds excellent. You could put up a sign WARNING B'NELLI ON GUARD DUTY that might scare off the burglars. Clowning around Perch just keeps going & going Holly get well soon... Bill good run today Tim your friend is fantastic but you're pretty good yourself. Good day all!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, A beautiful morning here to run also. 10.14 miles of hills @ 8:55 pace, my usual run but slightly faster paced, cool down walk for about a mile then did some laps in the pool....off to work. Enjoy the day!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

The Jogger

Some brilliant runs out there today......even Tom's drippy one. Great HR's from Lou , Mary, Steve and Bill . I went out for a very hilly trail 8 miler. Carried water for me in the running belt and a dog lesh and a water bottle for Woody in my hands. Took 2 lessons on my French Pimsler course that was lesson 2 & 3 bonjour. Really nice pre breakfast / Hygenist run Smile Anyway, 8m 01:28:56 @ 11:07 pace AHR 145 66% WHR Good Runs All Roy
                        DickyG

No running for me today...4 days in a row is more than I usually do. TomS: Are you doing any stretching to loosen up your hammie? Mari: Your project sounds wonderful...seems like we read way too much about "fast food" kids & their potential future health probs. Wildchild: Yeah, we all like chocolate! Frankly, I enjoyed running without the watch yesterday. Been trying so hard to improve after my injuries it's become an obsession. Yesterday, I could forget about how bad I've been running and devote all my attention to how bad my golf game is....and I want a Garmin too. Your mountain running sounds tough...kudos to you. Tammy: The fires...jeez...how close are they to you? Just can't imagine... Maine: Your workouts are staggering...when's next race? You're gonna beat somebody's butt. Lou & Perchcreek: Great runs to start us off today. Timbo: Wow! 11 miles running in an incinerator. I need to improve a lot before my next race, a local 10K in October where, once again I will square off against my arch enemy, the evil Jim DeHart who has now beaten me about 50 times in a row. However...I am now in the 65-death age group and DeHart (who, it is rumored, flogs his wife) must languish in the 60-64 group 4 more years...and next year my pal Bob Sherwood will turn 60 and he can beat DeHart (who I understand is wanted in several states) all day long. Today's pic is dedicated to all the female members in our group who are so determined and talented. DickyG
                            Great shirt, DickyG. Lots of people here should be wearing one of those. Naming a dog after a gun? What's next? Remington? Beretta? Browning? Probably jinxing myself here, but I did run one slow mile outdoors in the HHH this morning just to check my progress. Inconclusive... Have some good ones today, folks!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Great shirt, DickyG. Lots of people here should be wearing one of those. Naming a dog after a gun? What's next? Remington? Beretta? Browning?
                              We already had a Remington - and he was the greatest. There may be a Winchester in our future though. Wink I want one of those shirts!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

My first weekday 10-miler on my hilly route in quite a while. I was happy to come in with 10.3 @ 9:13 pace with AHR @ 143 only to see I’d been outdone by all the speedsters here! I used the “average pace” and “lap pace” settings on the Garmin for the first time, which helped ensure I kept a nice steady pace. Don’t know why I haven’t done this before. Lou, Peter, and Tim got impressive 10 or 11-milers in but Perch is just showing off with that 14 mile sprint after his mountain jaunt. Holly—it’s got to be tough not being able to run, but you’re being smart by taking it easy and thinking long-term. Glad to see Tom’s been able to hack his way back into the site. Nonoruns—great to hear the new house is working out so well. It reminds me of our first house we bought back in NH that abutted a small park with a kids’ baseball field. We had endless free entertainment watching the little ones romp around at there. Sometimes it was hilarious. The best part was that they had an ice rink in the winter that hardly got any use and I’d get my skates on with a stick and puck and just goof off.

Be safe. Be kind.