Masters Running

Happy π Day - Friday 3.14 (Read 45 times)

Dave59

I don't have much to say, didn't work out yesterday and may not today, but I thought I would see if I could beat Jay here again today and wish everyone a happy π Day.  The dark chocolate and peanut butter pie sure sounded good.  I wonder if there is any left?

Have a greta day.

coastwalker

HA! You did it again, Dave!

Mornin' everyone!

Jlynne, sounds like a good workout with the boys at the bookstore yesterday. I'll bet they had a blast!

How'd you make out at the Planning Board yesterday, Stumpy? Anything to miss a dentist appointment, eh?

I hope you have a not-too-stressful trip to KY, TomW. Good luck with CB.

It must have been a shock to adjust to 76, Sarge. But enjoy the warmth!

Is it time to give Wilson some sleep aids, Leslie? I guess you really got bit by that pie yesterday - it's a good thing you found some caffeine to CALM YOU DOWN!!! And it's a good thing TomW had the number for the InterventionHotLine!

Meal meetings are always tough, Robin. Good call to enjoy and not worry about it for a day.

Good job of toughing it out in the wind, NHLS. I hope it was at your back for at least some of the run.

3-day diet plan, Enke? Sounds like a nice run on the train yesterday - I'm glad the knee is still behaving.

Thanks for the tip on the 50Ks, Tet. There are a lot of them!!

Ribs, I don't believe that cutting fat out of one's diet is the answer. I like Evanfelin's mom's approach: "Eat real food. Not too much. Enjoy yourself but practice balance."

Sounds like a busy day, C-R. Glad you got a run in.

Congrats on great results at your physical, Rasmussenmp, and on getting off Zocor. I don't like drugs either.

Mariposai is eating quite well too! Nice payoff after your run with (not so) Easy Pacer.

Good call on that 'moderation' thing, Steve. It's some kind of a plot...

I found out yesterday that my local estuary alliance was awarded two separate grants for assistance with workshop and program development. Very exciting, but now the real work begins.

6 RW miles at 4:05 in 12F temps, under a clear sky. The near-fool moon was starting to think about retiring for the day, but was still well above the tree tops and so gave me some delightful light to bask in. I watched a video of a recent racewalking race yesterday (they always provide great motivation for me), and dis some quick-step drills this morning to try to get my cadence up. It was hard work, but it kept me warm out there, and it was a good workout.

I missed getting into a half marathon at the end of this month, and it's my own dang fault for being too slow to sign up. But I think I found another one in western MA, so I'm going to check it out this morning.

Good luck to this weekend's racers:

03/15 NHLA - Oskar Blues 4 miler, Brevard NC

03/15 IBleedUnionBlue - TowneBank 8k, Virginia Beach VA

03/15 wildchild - Monument Valley 50k, Monument Valley, AZ

03/15 pfriese - St Paddy's Race 8K, OKC, OK

Have a greta Fryday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

NHLA

Shared Photo

NHLA

Had a wonderful dream last night.  I was at wife's family reunion. Her dad was  alive and her mom still had her mind.

At some point you know its a dream but I didn't want to let go.

New skirt in town

I love those kind of dreams that make you feel so great even after you wake up...

After a really late night meeting last night, I reallllly didn't want to get up this morning to run.  In fact, I turned off my alarm clock last night to let myself sleep in.  Unfortunately, my body and brain are so programmed to awaken early, that my eyes popped open at 5 AM.  I thought, "Well, as long as you are awake, you might as well run.".  6.1 easy miles this morning, and I'm looking forward to getting to bed EARLY tonight!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Jay - 12 degrees in the middle of March - yikes!  I think we'll be sending some warmer weather your way soon.

C-R - Sorry to have missed you, but glad you had a productive day.

NHLA - I love the cartoon, so true in Ohio.  Hope you don't mind that I borrowed it and posted it on FB.

I went to a friend's jewelry party last night - like the Tupperware parties of old, these are the kinds of events women get sucked into where you pay too much for stuff but have fun anyway.  This one was held at a wine boutique and the hostess bought a couple bottles of wine to loosen us up.  I expect it worked.....

7 miles for me this morning in 32 degrees under Jay's bright nearly full moon.  Heel pain is almost nonexistent now, although it has apparently been replaced with groin pain, but I expect that's just a sore muscle and will resolve quickly.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...heading out the door to pick up my CrazyBrother at the airport........

we have

an entire afternoon to ourselves tomorrow after the funeral,

Pickles is heading back home

''and don't do anything Stupid'' she tells me

you think

she'd learn

by now.

...............................good running guys....................Don't Do Anything Stoopid........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

''and don't do anything Stupid'' she tells me

you think

she'd learn

by now.

...............................good running guys....................Don't Do Anything Stoopid........

This makes me laugh!

No running this morning. Legs are pretty tired still after last night's speed work. I had to run on a flat, straight paved road because the track is still frozen.

Today I have another trip to the Methow Valley for another meeting. Yesterday's trip was very successful and it gave me the pleasure to walk to the river before the meeting started and I took this picture. Happy memory flooded my mind.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

nice serene picture Mariposai!

I ran Tues/Wed/Thursday - not much, only about an average of 3-ish miles a day, but will take today off from running as I have a 10K race in the morning. This is more for David though -he's running the 5K race and because I want more miles in, I opted for the 10K, but it'll be treated more like a tempo run as I have a long run I need to get in on Sunday. I sure love my new Brooks. When I was running in my asics, even the morning after a 3-4 mile run, my knees were a bit achy walking down the stairs in the morning. I figured it was age. Now I'm having none of that. Guess it was the shoes. The real test will be the morning after a long run this weekend I suppose.

MikeE - when I fly back for my reunion I'll be staying at a friends house in Maple Grove, but I sure hope we can meet up somewhere in there for a run or a beer, or both. that is if you are willing to run slow with me.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job dave but you wouldn't have a chance though

if the "champions of the west" (Michigan) wasn't somehow

in jay's same Maine time zone.

thanks mari for the glimpse of what real life looks like.

. . .  my knees were a bit achy walking down the stairs in the morning. I figured it was age. Now I'm having none of that.            Guess it was the shoes. The real test will be the morning after a long run this weekend I suppose.

.tammy - no particular reason but let me know if it works for age too..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

EK's mom's advice is a derivation of Michael Pollard's advice:  "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants".  When he says "eat food" he means genuine food.  His explanation?  If your grandmother never heard of this food, it isn't real food. He cites "Go-Gurt" and these breakfast energy bars as examples.

In another quote that I take very much to heart he says, "Vegetarians are healthier than omnivores, but flexitarians are just as healthy as vegetarians."  So to EK's point, what is that swiss cheese doing on my sandwich? I suppose I could have ordered it without the cheese, but I'm focused more on the absence of meat so it didn't matter to me. At home, it would have been easier to do without meat or cheese or dairy.

Lent is a complicating factor for Catholics also. We don't eat meat on Fridays, so eggs, dairy, fish, etc. are all acceptable. At the beginning of this week I told the Saint I am craving a pizza with onions and mushrooms, so that will be our dinner tonight. Not vegan but no meat either.

So my point of view is that I don't have to get rid of all fat, as Jay points out, but modest diet changes that are sustainable and healthier are what I'm seeking.  Ever hear the joke: "How can you tell if a person is a vegetarian?"  Answer:  "Talk to him for five minutes."

2.2 jog/walk today after yesterday's day off. Felt like I was shot out of a cannon, but I kept it light. Tomorrow is the " St. Paddy's Day Dash Down Greenville Avenue" 5K, which will have 8,000 runners. It's a madhouse.  I do it every year and already signed up, but my plan is to find my son SpareTire and pace him. That way I don't have to run it all out and I can have some fun and help him too.  Spareribs

Dave59

My favorite vegetarian food is Reese's Cups.  The main ingredients come directly from plants: peanuts, chocolate, and sugar.  There is some milk in them so they aren't vegan but that doesn't bother me.

Morning - At least it still is here.

To continue with the food talk - - Just about everything processed is off the list, although we don't really eat much that's processed anyway.  One of the changes that has really helped me is I have increased the good fats, have switched from low/non fat yogurt to full fat on my fruit in the morning, and I am staying satisfied longer, which helps in the munchie department.  Before, in the morning I was getting hungry again around 11:00 and then again around 3:00/3:30.  Now I find that I'm rarely hungry 'til around 12:30 or so, and in the evening, I have to make myself eat  something, even though I'm not really hungry or I wake up starving in the morning.  I don't feel like I have to constantly be shoveling food in my pie hole.

The further I get into this nutrition change, the more I like it.

Jay - Congratulations on the grants!  And yes, Wilson may be getting a little bit of a sleep aid here soon.  If nothing else, to get his internal clock rewired. Shhhh!  Don't tell Shorty.  And then there's Chico, who, for whatever reason, can't ever seem to remember that he got out of the house in the first place through the open garage door and has to launch his fat rear end at our bedroom window and scare the crap out of us because he wants back in.  And let me tell you, he's got a lot to launch!

I chose to (try) to sleep in this morning instead of working out.  Tonight, our church is having a free showing of the animated movie "Frozen."  Shorty and I are goin' on a date.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

PS - Tammy - - Looked at this: Whiskeytown 4mph Challenge.  I'm putting that on my bucket list for next year.  Sounds like a ton of fun!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Nice long run for ras and good speedwork for deez and mari.

This morning, it was in the high 20s and there was some wind.  I got in 4 miles at an 11:06 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS