Masters Running

Bethany Freedom Run 8K (Read 224 times)

Bethany Freedom Run, Bethany, OK As you know I haven't been training and wanted to just run and have fun. Also, hoping that running it will provide some more focus and motivation. 42:58 was my time for the 8K (they had a 3K and 8K). 12/22 in my age group. Here's a summary. I woke up feeling unusually sluggish. Usually I'm up and ready to go most mornings. I started off very slow just to get going. Then about 1K began to pick it up. At about 3K a young kid in cargo shorts passes me. I'm thinking, "Cargo shorts? I'll be passing him back later in the race." Then I hear someone behind me hacking and coughing and really sounds like struggling. A few steps later a young woman passes me. She is hacking up a storm. I stay with her for quite a while thinking to myself that she can't hold out much longer. Around 4K I'm starting to feel pretty good and pick it up considerably. I'm going for my patented kick at the end. I pass the hacker and am moving up on cargo shorts. Cargo shorts and I strike up a conversation while he stays up with me...we've got about 2K to go. Wanting to leave him in the dust I pick it up even more...I'm feeling good at this point. I turn the corner for the home stretch and see a huge long steep hill in front of me. I surge up. But about half way up I begin to die. My heart rate begins to soar and I have no choice but to back off. It's not long before cargo shorts passes me...I can't stay with him. Then with about 2 blocks to go, Hacker passes me!! Oh, well ...I finish 42:58 and go to congratulate both of them on their fine finish. Gotta post the fashion of the day....white starter tee, starter shorts (can't remember if they were navy or black....big penalty for this I know) underarmour compression shorts (they just feel so good), lucky Big Peach Running Co. hat, underarmour socks, orange (actually I think it's called Sienna) and black Asics 2130, and a smile.
    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
    Dave59

Nice run. I love the 8k's and wish there were more of them. Your cargo shorts battle reminds me of the my battles with pony tailed girls that are half my height. I never really noticed them until someone else mentioned their running battles with the fleet footed pony tailed species. Now I seem them all the time. Seems like there is always at least one around me in races. (Usually zipping by.)

coastwalker

It is often the races within the race than make the event more fun and exciting. Congrats on catching cargo shorts and holding him and the hacker off till the very end. Sounds like you had a greta time! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

huskydon

Sounds like you just ran and had fun! Yep, a smile will match any outfit! huskydon

King of PhotoShop

You have a wonderful competitive spirit but are quick to go congratulate those who bested you. That's a real runner in my book. Well done. Spareribs
            pfriese

evryday, I ran this race last year. This year I rode in the Tour of Payne with YDD or I would have run it again this year. It is a nice race on a nice rolling course. Glad you had a great race. Are you planning any more summer races in OKC? Are there any races up in your section of the state? Paul
                evryday, I ran this race last year. This year I rode in the Tour of Payne with YDD or I would have run it again this year. It is a nice race on a nice rolling course. Glad you had a great race. Are you planning any more summer races in OKC? Are there any races up in your section of the state? Paul
                Rolling course? Seemed relatively flat until that hill beginning at the base of 23rd street at Overholser. That thing seems like a mile long straight up! Big grin I wasn't ready or prepared for that. Lot's of fun though. Paul, I don't have any definate racing plans for the OKC area. I am thinking about the Brookhaven run in Norman and/or the Geico Freedom Run 10K but have not committed to them. Watonga has the Great Rat Race which I have never done, but would like to. I believe the next race in Northwest OK may be the Run for Shelter 5K...either Sept. or Oct.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  First, congrats on a gutsy race! Ok, that was funny! I always have strange people around me, outrunning me and deflating my ego. Last race I had a woman in a black track suit with flared pants, a pink top and black track suit top (on a warm day!!). She was "chesty", in an almost artificial way, and had Paris-Hilton type sunglasses on. I caught up to her at the halfway point and thought, no way am I going to lose to her!!! It might have been the only thing that kept me going!! I have 3 pairs of 2130's and think I'll be ordering another soon!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good job on an 8K well-run, in spite of being caught at the finish by a couple of runners who were obviously much younger (that's gotta be the reason, right?). So when are you going out shopping for a new pair of cargo shorts? Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Entertaining report. and a good race. I remember a race in the middle of the winter where I was wearing everything I owned including mittens and a face mask. Out of the car next to me jumps this guy in a tank top and running shorts. I told my wife I only want to beat one guy today and he's it. Well he went on to win the entire race and he also was in my age group so i guess he beat me twice. Blush Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

What I want to know is, did the hacker light up a cigarrette afterward? Big grin Even without training for it, you did pretty darn well - great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

In spite of having cargo shorts and the hacker pass you at the end, you ran a fine race evryday. Congratulations. There have been a number of times that I saw someone I figured was going to be easy to beat and was surprised. Sometimes, you just can't tell who's fast and who isn't until the race is run. TomS