Masters Running

We begin again: Monday, 1.28.13 (Read 48 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice racing Marj!

Greta shot of the twins & dad, Mike.

Thanks for volunteering at the local race, Tall! I'm sure the organizers and racers appreciated the 'donation' of your time and energy.

Nice run, Mainrunnah - you'll be so ready for the Mid-Winter Classic!

Steve, the sledding birthday party looks like it was as much fun for the adults and pups as for the kids.

Congrats on nailing Trail 11, Mariposai! Looks intimidating, but gorgeous.

We started having activities at our winter party years ago as a way to help people get to know those they had not met before. We've just kept it up over the years. So, at the party yesterday, we broke the folks into teams of 4-5, keeping all spouses/friends apart. Each team got a list of 10 random words. They had to create a 2+ minute story using all their words, use at least 3 props from the 'prop room' we created (tennis racquet, hammer, light bulb, crutches, wig, hats, etc.), and then present their story to the rest of the group either by having one person present it, or involving the whole group (all teams chose the latter). It was hilarious! People can be very creative, especially when we keep plying them with beer and wine and all kinds of appetizers. It was really a lot of fun, and everyone really got into the activity. Of course, silly prizes (from Office Playground) were awarded, and it just worked out that each team earned an award for something or other. Over coffee this morning, DW and I started thinking about next year's activity...

Maybe it was from being on my feet all day and night yesterday, but my hip was pretty achy this morning. So instead of hitting the roads, I stayed in and did some easy stretching and a full round of exercises.

Have a great day, even if it is a Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Just 4 recovery miles this morning...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

King of PhotoShop

Fun party Steve!

So happy to see Arf here. Like old times.

4.5 easy this morning on the dirt, a bit slow, but it's 68 degrees and humid.

I've arranged for C-R to do a track workout in Coppell at the school track at 5:30 tomorrow morning.  They are expecting to see a guy show up and say "I'm a friend of Spareribs."  Hope that works out! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

The San Antonio Marathon decided to change the date of its marathon from Nov 17 to the same date in December as the Dallas Marathon, which caused quite a stir here. Competitor Group, which runs the Rock n Roll series, has the S. A. race and tried to pull this move.  The Dallas Marathon officials were outraged and threatened to sue, since Competitor signed a non-compete with the D.M. for the month of December.  CG folded in one day so now all is well.

I wrote the story today on the Dallas News site called "You think you're a runner?  Hah! You're a wallet!" Times have sure changed.  There is also a link in there about how Ragnar is stealing the race courses created by other directors.  Some sport we're in.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/you-think-youre-a-runner-hah-youre-a-wallet.html/

Spareribs

TammyinGP

going to come back and read that article Ribs - for sure! I saw a few things circulating on FB about it but haven't had the time to read it yet, but very interested.

Today is my rest day from running. and it's the only day this week that's "supposed" to rain, so I hope that holds true. I have a 3, 6, 3 and 12 mile run on schedule this week.

Did my planks this morning and will do a 2nd set tonight. and probably some stretching as my legs are a bit tight from my 11+ mile run on Saturday and my trail run and gym workout yesterday.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!

NIcely done article, Ribs.  I guess I really don't pay any attention to who is organizing any particular race...although, I really try to stay away from the rediculously big ones.

Tammy--I have a bone to pick with you!  I was already dreading going up to 180 seconds of planks--and then you went to 2 times a day!  Were a drill sergeant in a former life?  Although--I do have to admit--I can feel a difference--and this is coming from a guy who has been doing between 200 and 400 situps/crunches almost every day for the last 20+ years.  I wish I had started them years ago.

So...my run yesterday...a 20 miler.  I had to fit it in between a couple of different things I had to do...I had Church in the morning...then I had to go to my sister's apartment and pick up some of her personal things--which I didn't know how long it would take...then I had to pick up my DW from work--and we had no idea when that would be...and I wanted to go to see two of my grandaughters on their 11th birthday.  I really did not want to wait until after all of that so, after I returned from picking up my sister's stuff, I had about 3 hours before I thought DW would be calling me.  I quickly changed and went out for my run.  The problem was, there was about 1 1/2 inches of new, wet, slippery snow on the ground and it was still coming down pretty hard.  I'm not sure if it was because I had run 8 miles the day before, or because my legs were still sore from the brutal day at work, last Friday, or if it was just the snow--but I was going nowhere fast.  I was breathing hard and thought I should slow down but when I looked at my Garmin, it said I was only doing an 8:15 pace.  I'd pick it up, look back at my Garmin, and it would say 8:20!  Well, I trudged along, hoping that once I got out of the headwind and settled into my run, I'd be fine...nope.  I was doing my 10 mile course two times and I was not looking forward to finishing the 1st ten and have to turn around and head back into the headwind again.  The snow was still coming down and the flakes would hit my eyeballs and burn like crazy.  Plus, I was soaking wet.  So, I ran into the house and jumped on the treadmill.  I set it at an 8:00 pace and suffered through that for an hour and a twenty minutes, or so.  I really give my DW a lot of credit.  With 4 miles to go, she called and said she was done with work and ready to be picked up.  I told her that I still had 4 miles to go, but I was looking for a good excuse to be done.  She said--very stearnly--"I am not going to be your excuse for not finishing your run--do your 4 miles and come get me."  Wow--that was unexpected--she's usually complaining about all the time I spend with my running stuff.  So--anyway--I got in my 20 miler.

A funny thing happend during the outside portion of my run.  At the 7 mile mark, I went behind a utility building do go pee.  As I stepped back around the corner after I was done, I was met face to face with a police officer--a woman police officer.  I said, "Oh!  Hi!"  She said, "Oh!  Hi!  I was just checking to see if it was a crazy person coming back here."  I said, "Nope, I just stopped to go pee--I'm sure glad you didn't come back here 2 seconds earlier."  We both laughed as another squad car pulled up.  Boy, what kind of crazy people do we have out here in Lino Lakes, MN?  Anyway--I thought it was kind of funny.

Okay--my lunch break was over about 20 minutes, ago!  See ya!

arf

MM #405

Mike....Your police story is Hilarious!   Only runners can stop and go pee behind buildings and not be called crazy and get arrested!Big grin

King of PhotoShop

If any of you happen to watch the NFL Network, tomorrow is media day for the Super Bowl and at 9 a.m. Central Time, my RP's husband is co-hosting a show on how it all works. He's a very talented guy. Spareribs

Mike E I am pretty amazed you were not busted!

Spareribs on the positive side these for profit entities exist to generate business and that means generating runners.  Generating runners is good!  We may not always like how they do it (the Dallas vs. San Antonio flap is one such case) but then the market does what it does best - create an instant corrective mechanism.  You among others wrote publicly about the conflict, CG figured they would be better off moving the date and did so.  Good for you.  Also, kudos to CG for their quick reaction.  One question though, why November for San Antonio?  CG said they originally moved the date to get cooler weather.  If they had to drop December as an option why not January?

I woke up to 22 degree weather.  That meant I could run outside.  (Yea, yea I know all quiet in the Alaska gallery.)   I had planned to run 6.67 but the route turned out to be 7.  So that is what it was.  At this point I figure if somebody drives me to the 20 mile mark I can finish the Boston Marathon this spring.  Black eye

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Now

Light Freezing Fog

Freezing Fog

Temperature

-44 °F

Feels Like -44 °F

Good to see that when it's -44, it FEELS like -44. And the "Freezing Fog" is what WeatherUnderground calls ice fog. It's so thick it's making driving very difficult. It's supposed to warm up a little tomorrow, with above zero temps forecast for mid-week, but colder again on the weekend. Gotta love the timing!

I didn't run a lick all weekend. Just felt overwhelmed and weary, so decided I'd give myself a free pass to be a lazy butt. Free pass is over though, and will run a bit tonight. I'd like to crack 100 miles for the month, and at this rate that won't be a sure thing!!

Tramps

Now

Light Freezing Fog

Freezing Fog

Temperature

-44 °F

Feels Like -44 °F

So we're about 88 degrees warmer than you right now.  Wow.  It's hard to imagine.

Enke—here’s hoping all will turn out well for you.

Nice racing, Marj!

Some great bald family and birthday pics yesterday from Mike and Steve

Ribs—I doubt Ragnar’s going to be sending you a free t-shirt anytime soon.  I’d heard that they and Ironman are among the worst for this sort of thing.

Interval day with 3x1 mile as part of a 10-mile run.  I got it done but I was draggin’ my butt through it all.  I really don’t like mid-day runs.  I do much better in the morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

...ok,

so tell me ''Freezing Fog''

doesn't

sound like something out of a Horror Flick.......

next

the Weather Channel will be issuing Zombie Advisories.....

==========

........Squat Here......

FlareUp in progress

it should happen to a zombie.

.......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Twocat, very good comments. I have no idea why not January.  Great suggestion.  I've run San Antonio and it's generally warm there no matter one.  Of course we all get what we pay for.  Outside the "hook" for the blog, and looking at it more objectively, it's simply market-based, as are all things.  There are so many people who just love the fanfare of the Rock n Roll events, willing to pay all that money, don't care where it goes, and love the bands along the course etc.  Other runners are disgusted by it all. But there is no doubt how City Councils feel about them!

News from C-R.  He's all set for tomorrow at 5:30 with a number of my friends, all of whom have assured me they will show him a great time at the track.  He just wrote to say he hopes I can get to Indy one day.  Guess what? I'll be there Feb 25 and 26.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

...ok,

so tell me ''Freezing Fog''

doesn't

sound like something out of a Horror Flick.......

next

the Weather Channel will be issuing Zombie Advisories.....

Big grin

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and planks.

This is how my work week goes every week:

Mondays are Terrifying

Tuesdays are Overwhelming

Wednesdays there is Just Not Enough Time

Thursdays, the crises are dealt with and I'm beginning to get a grip on things

Fridays, I just don't care anymore.....

As Erika would say, lather, rinse, repeat....

So, Terrifying Monday is over with for this week....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yes, even my kids say on Sunday night, "the weekend was just too short".  Can't agree more.  I got burned out of my MLK day institutional holiday when my boss asked me to work.  3 day weekends are so rare......it was a good thing I didn't know we had that day off until the Thursday before, or I would have been super pissed.

I've decided to make myself socialize more, so I am going to join the local running club, or join Team Challenge, not sure which yet.  Probably the running club as I don't want to over-commit right now.  I must say, the idea of breakfast with a bunch of runners after a sweaty Saturday group run sounds really fun!  Not really the Wed night track workouts....

Yeah, no run today, want to rest my knee for a day, or two.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I must say, the idea of breakfast with a bunch of runners after a sweaty Saturday group run sounds really fun!  Not really the Wed night track workouts....

Enjoy!!!

Erika, good luck with your 100 mile goal for January. I will be lucky to make it to 50 miles this month, but then again, I took two weeks in January while in Paraguay. Also, I skied 30 miles last week and visited the gym a few nights...so all is good.

Holly, what a work week Confused. We all have our own stress at work, but the stress at  the top is much thicker, so it seems! But you can do it all girl!! You are one amazing lady!!!

Spareribs, how did your knee handle today's run?

Tonight was 3 miles on the TM, the core, then one hour and half of yoga (hi OrangeMat). Now I am in THE zone!!!Joking

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard